Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Name that Wired Connection-- Unusual Wires near Front TV

Greetings Mates:
While attempting to find all the cables to connect my satellite dish, I came across some strange cables above the driver's area where entertainment switch and coax cables are located.
Here is a photo of the connections that keep me awake at night

Attachment 108205
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Large Connector.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	108206  
Andy_Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That looks like the control cable for a Motosat dish. Did the previous owners have an internet dish?
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MotoSat had both sat dishes and internet sat dishes. That connector looks like our MotoSat TV dish connector but I've never seen the internet one so it could be that also.
Try looking around here and see if anything looks the same.
Here's a link to the installation instructions for the RE-1 controller that has a close up of the dish controller plug. http://rfmogul.com/motosat-compatible-controller.html
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The connectors were the same for both kinds of dishes (I have both). Just assuming it was internet because the OP was already dealing with sat tv. But then again, they could have switched from a Motosat to a Winegard and just left the cable in place. Not sure that would explain the bare coax wire, unless they ran a new wire when they did the replacement install.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

I literally just got my satellite issues squared away--Winegard MV3500T system, but NO controller (Mod Edit). Why would someone remove the controller when selling? Seemed odd to me, considering it was less than $6 new and caused me a huge headache to determine the details about my system w/o any logos/serial numbers.

Back to the issue of this post: The connection pictured is encased in flexible conduit and appears to run along the ceiling, but I could only trace it so far. That conduit does not seem to be anything the manufacturer would have done, which sorta explains the satellite internet option. If you look in the background of the photo, there are also these two smaller white wires on the left (one w/ blk strips other w/ red stripe). I thought they would be some sort of power wires, but tested and got very little to no power reading. Does your internet system also use a coax with that green plug?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

I forgot to mention, there is also a telephone cable in the same area with these wires, above the driver's seat in the entertainment area. However, I don't believe it is for a phone considering there is a separate telephone plug just below at the "computer station", likely for dial-up internet. And, I detected no shared connection between that cable and the telephone plug at the computer station.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, sat internet will have the control wire (with a green euro style plug) as well as two coax cables (transmit and receive) all going to the dish. The color is unusual, but it's possible that those are the power wires going to the dish. My system had another small version of the green connector for those.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #8

Here is the pic of the other wires; although I found it strange that there was no power to them when I tested it over the weekend. I was guessing these wires were used to connect the Sat controller to power. Once I get the controller, 5-10 days, I will make that determination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wires two small red-blk.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	108213  

Tags
holiday rambler