Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

While awaiting the arrival of our replacement basement air conditioner I decided to add more tile down the center isle.

The good folks in the parts department at lichstinn Motors were able to supply me with the mfg and part number of the tiles installed in many Journeys.

The tile is made by Nafco and the part # is NV735. The winnebago price was over 6.00$ a tile and I paid about 4.00$ a tile at a local carpet and tile supply.

The tile lines from the entrance area of tile and kitchen area of tile do not line up. So I decided to start at the kitchen area and work forward. I will replace the entrance area tiles also.

I will fold and tuck the carpet where it meets the new tile just like winnebago does.

I will post pictures as I go.

Jim

The last set of tile are to be installed as soon as the adhesive tacks up. I found I had to shim a little bit around the drivers seat. The floor is not perfectly level (imagine that).

There is also a bit of a hump that was shimmed by winnebago just aft of both seats.

I should finish this project tomorrow and give my final thoughts and pictures.

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

While awaiting the arrival of our replacement basement air conditioner I decided to add more tile down the center isle.

The good folks in the parts department at lichstinn Motors were able to supply me with the mfg and part number of the tiles installed in many Journeys.

The tile is made by Nafco and the part # is NV735. The winnebago price was over 6.00$ a tile and I paid about 4.00$ a tile at a local carpet and tile supply.

The tile lines from the entrance area of tile and kitchen area of tile do not line up. So I decided to start at the kitchen area and work forward. I will replace the entrance area tiles also.

I will fold and tuck the carpet where it meets the new tile just like winnebago does.

I will post pictures as I go.

Jim

The last set of tile are to be installed as soon as the adhesive tacks up. I found I had to shim a little bit around the drivers seat. The floor is not perfectly level (imagine that).

There is also a bit of a hump that was shimmed by winnebago just aft of both seats.

I should finish this project tomorrow and give my final thoughts and pictures.

Our Webpage
Old 11-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
Thanks for the photos. I know you'll enjoy the tile. I look forward to doing the same thing to my coach down the road and I'd like to run the tile down the hallway to the bedroom. Don't forget to share the finished product with us.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bonnie, I purchased enough tile to do the hallway to the bedroom and also to do under the drivers feet area.

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Very nice - good job! Please tell us those aren't your funky yellow sandals

We added our extra tile the painful way - we wrote Winnie a check in April while at the factory. I have done a little tile job here and there and I discovered I hate that more than plumbing projects.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John believe it or not those "funky yellow sandals" are my wifes brand new 70 dollar plastic and rubber Birkinstocks!!

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

jimandsue60 have you brought the dinette slide in yet and was there any problem with the glides getting hung on the tile/carpet? Also our slides up front leave an indentation in the carpet when they come in. Does yours and if so how is it affecting the tile? I absolutely HATE our carpet but our dealer wanted $5000+ to tile the front only and DH said no way. . We have a 39K so have the double front slides. One is flat floor the other above floor.

Thanks
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Savannah, our slide doesn't leave any marks in the carpet, and now the tile is actually lower.

I don't have the carpet on the slide side secured down yet, so I can't move the slide in or out. I will keep you updated. It is now cocktail hour so playing with tile is not allowed.

I may even put some tile under the dinette.

Our cat will most likely never puke again since we are removing all her favorite spots!

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Know just what you mean about the puking cat. Fortunately ours usually does her thing on a throw rug so we have a rug that spends alot of time being washed.
I await your report on the slide but totally understand the need to be in attendance for cocktail hour.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jim,,,I would like to do bout the same with the tile in our coach....but have a question....did you have to put down any type of board , after you removed the carpet, to bond the tile to....I was told I would have to install a type of board to lay the tile on....so wondering how you did it...Thanks

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Okie, so far everywhere I pulled up carpet there is plywood under it, just like the original tile has under it. I also purchased the adhesive reccomended by the tile mfg. and it says it it good for plywood. This is a no brainer installation.

I have a total of 500 dollars invested in this project which includes tile, adhesive and some tools that I did not have to make the job easier. The only other expense I expect would be the rental of some type of pneumatic stapler to resecure the carpet surrounding the new tile.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
wgh
Winnebago Watcher

Jim

One more question - did you have to use any special kind of grout so that driving doesn't crack it?

Bill
wgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Bill, this is original equipment vinyl tile. No grout needed.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

New picture added.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

So I have been wantng to do this in my Adventure 37B. According to the parts book, I also have the same color tile. Thanks for doing the foot work. I wish they would offer full tile as an option. Carpet gets old fast.

2004 Winnebago Adventure 37B
Charles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

The project is just about done. I decided to tile around the drivers seat also. I am going to paint the pedestal of the seat a beige for the rare times the mounting baseplate can be seen.

The carpet under the slide was able to be tucked and screwed so it does not interfere with the slide operation.

The slide does not contact the flooring at all when it is retracted.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
Your new tile looks fabulous. I know you'll enjoy it tremendously.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

wow looks great...nice job
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Looks great!! You did a super job. I would love to tackle this but since our drivers side slide is a flat floor and leaves major indentation in the carpet I'm afraid what it would do to tile. I am saving this though and when we can get to Forest City to have them look at that slide and see if it's out of adjustment then maybe we can have a carpet burning ceremony.

Thanks for the update.