Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Gulf Stream Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #1

Here is a shot of my orig. windshield removed due to cracks

Here the installers are fitting it. I opted for a new factory gasket from GS. The installers were hesitant since they said that they are usually firmly glued to the fiberglass and can chip it if removed. I didn't care and instructed them to be sure and fully glue the gasket to the body AND the glass to the gasket.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:02 AM   #2

Here is a shot of my orig. windshield removed due to cracks

Here the installers are fitting it. I opted for a new factory gasket from GS. The installers were hesitant since they said that they are usually firmly glued to the fiberglass and can chip it if removed. I didn't care and instructed them to be sure and fully glue the gasket to the body AND the glass to the gasket.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 AM   #3

It turned out that GS had used a VERY small amount of adhesive in five (5) spots to "hold" the gasket to the body during assembly.

Here is a shot of the glass in when we were on a short trip to McGrath State Beach.

We also took it on a shorter trip to Peggy Sue's Diner in Yermo just off I-15 near Calico Ghost Town and it has seen a few hard showers recently at home. So far, no leaks.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #4

UPDATE!

We had to have the windshields removed and re-installed this past weekend due to them separating from the gasket. They had used a new gasket that came with the new glass but didn't have a new locking strip so they re-used the old one.

The glass was fine for a couple trips but after the last one, we noticed a 3/16" gap running from the bottom center on the PS up towards the middle approximately 22" long.

I had the windshield supplier get a new gasket and locking strip from Gulfstream (again... ) and told the glass installers that I didn't want the third time to be a charm so please get it right THIS time.

They sent out three guys who worked for over 4 hours to get the gasket primed and glued to the body, then thoroughly glued the glass to the gasket, both inside and outside this time. It looks good and appears to be holding so only time and use will tell.

They informed me that it is not uncommon for these large windows to "push" out at the lower edges. My response was that the factory couldn't sell them if they did that so what was the problem? It appears that not all coaches have enough material for the seam line, are not reinforced with steel nor have enough surface area. The installers noted that some coaches are really well design regarding their windshield glass but most are not.

The pinch area on our GS isn't steel reinforced and is NOT very large. Hopefully all of the prep-work, primering and polyurethane adhesive will help hold them in place for a long time.

The coach is noticably quieter now than before with the prior install so hopefully all is well.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:55 AM   #5

UPDATE! So far, so good. The "new" installation appears to have been performed properly and the glass appears to be staying in place. I will keep checking JIC for a while and for a few more trips.