Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Are Koni Shocks still the shock of choice? Who has the best price these days?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Are Koni Shocks still the shock of choice? Who has the best price these days?
W22 Workhorse
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #3

full timers, we love our koni fsd's. i don't know what part of the country your in but we purchased ours from cummins bridgway in michigan. the cost was $135.00 each for our roadmaster rr8r chassis. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Koni shock absorbers can be purchased directly from the Koni RV.com website.

I believe they are priced at $125.00 each and they have the shocks you need in stock and the shipping was pretty fast. There is a difference in WCC shocks so make sure when you are shopping to specify your exact model year chassis.

Quote, "RVers who like to do their own installation work can buy Koni shocks directly from us. Our special on-line prices range from 120 to 175, depending on your application. Please feel free to browse our site and leave a comment. We would love to hear from you.

You can always buy from and have the shocks installed by one of our sponsors, Brazel's RV Performance or Redlands Truck & RV, while in their next of the woods.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 AM   #5

DriVer, just a quick note when we bought our koni's going direct would have cost us approx. $20.00 more per shock. in my past i've come up against this before since normaly manufactures don't like to undercut their dealers/dealer aggreements! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #6

As I have posted many times before, SHOX.COM has the best delivered price of anyone for the Koni FSD shocks. The shocks for the '03 Workhorse models are more than for the '04-'08 Models though.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
As I have posted many times before, SHOX.COM has the best delivered price of anyone for the Koni FSD shocks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRRVer, That may be true however I will prefer to recommend the manufacturer directly since I know the folks there at Koni and I will unashamedly endorse and recommend our sponsors who make it possible for us to keep the doors open on a 24/7 basis. Both Redlands and Brazels contribute significantly here both in content and support and they have our endorsement.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Looks like StreetRays.com has the best price at $126.70 each and free shipping.
W22 Workhorse
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
A word of caution when ordering Koni's on-line. Last year, I received Koni's that had the wrong mounting on the rear shocks. What I found out is that during model year '04 they changed from stud bolt to mount. The Koni on-line shock selector program did not make a distinction for the transition year. So if you have a '03 or a '05 model year, no problem.

If you have a '04 like mine, I strongly suggest get under your rig and check the top mounting of the rear shock and determine if it's got the big 3/4" mounting bolt at the top or the stud bolt w/two rubber washers. It'll cost you an extra $30-40 in shipping to return the wrong ones. Make a call to customer service and confirm that the part number you're getting has the right rear top mount. Hope this help's anybody with a coach made during the '04 transition year.

Happy Trails,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just installed Koni FSD's on my 2003 Itasca Suncruiser and what a difference between what was on there and the ride and handling with the new Koni's. The price, like mentioned before were more for the 2003 models. The saleman at Shox.com asked me to verify what type of end connectors I had on the existing shocks before he finalized my order as he was aware of the problem with the shipping and returning the wrong shocks.
I had to have them installed as I could not break the torque on the large nut and bolts even with an impact air wrench and even a long extension on a breaker bar. I took the shop about an hour to complete the task.
So glad I followed the recommendations of this forum and the others experiences to make to jump.
Thanks for a great site with great people investing their valuable time and energy so others can have a place to seek answers from others of like interests.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
How many of you changed your shocks your self? How difficult were the bolts to get off? It looks like such an easy job.
W22 Workhorse
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #12

Dan I had Brazel's do mine and they used a Impac Gun to do it and to me it took quite a bit to break the bolts loose.... You might have Redlands do it... Kieth is awesome (tell them I sent ya) well maybe you better not.. haha....

I can also tell you that even Shelia noticed the difference when I changed over. Especially the fronts. And I noticed that when pulling our toad that the rears made a big difference as far as bouncing. I had the fronts done then the backs about 6 months later
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I changed mine from originals to Bilsteins... With no air gun it took me a half day. But, the real cost was shoulder surgery.... The shock change was the last straw after 40 years of Shade Tree Mechanic work.

I swapped the front Bilsteins out for Koni's with a big impact in about an hour.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #14

I just got back from my last trip to Mexico. A quick 6 days from Tucson to San Carlos and back. I have always been totally happy (except the side to side sway when you do a transverse hump) with the handling on my W22 with the 22.5's but never happy with the ride. Every pot hole feels like you have no suspension at all! Believe me they have plenty and no room to dodge them. 90# front 85# rear. Everyone says the Konis do wonders over the Bilstiens but never say specifically what improvement they are seeing.

Do they soften the ride or is this more a function on the springs?

You all have convinced me that I will pay to have them replaced if I elect to do it.
fayrankin is offline   Reply With Quote