Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I finally decided to get rid of the 72 pound brick TV that came with the MH. I replaced it with a Panasonic 26" LCD HDTV that weighs in at just over 30 pounds. Quite a difference! I thought I would share some of the install pics that I took along the way.

First I had to remove the old TV, which was NOT a one person job. I have had the wood facia off before so I knew already what was needed there. There is plenty of room to get behind and unplug cables and stuff, so that was not a problem. The power cord was the most involved because I had to remove a facia panel in the cabinet next door (easy) where the video switch is located. Reaching all the way to the back of that cabinet to unplug the cord was quite a stretch (good thing i'm tall). The DW helped by making sure that the cords didn't get hung up when I shouldered the TV to lift it out of the cabinet.

Setting the new TV in place while I tested the hook ups was easy and looked like this:

I was impressed by the strength of the TV enclosure framework that Winnie had built. There is a buch of wires running every which way though.

I used a solid wall mount attached to the back of the new TV. I purchased it at Home Depot for $39. Half attaches to the back of the TV and the other half to the wall or mounting surface. For my mounting surface I first measured the thickness of the TV with the mounting bracket attached. 5 3/4 inches. In measuring the metal frame of the cabinet, I saw that there was no metal to mount a brace horizontaly, so vertical was the only choice. I used a section of 5/8 thick plywood about 10" wide, cut to length and notched at the top to fit around a welded bracket.

Those screws at the top are drilled into a heavy steel tube that supports the top of the MH. That was one of the hardest parts of the install, getting through the thickness of the steel. I also painted the top of the board to black out any that may be visible after the TV was installed.

I also put a "L" bracket at the bottom of the cabinet, just to steady the bottom if the MH were to bounce around on some road. A little more paint at the bottom for good measure.

Since I subscribe to the "better safe than sorry" school on some things, I opted to add a little extra bracing on the back of the mounting board. That involved picking up a 3' piece of 1/2" aluminum stock while at HD. I cut it in half and angled the ends to fit the cabinet.

I installed two braces about mid way on the mounting board, screwed and bolted to the frame.

The braces made the mounting board rock solid. I slid the facia trim back on the opening to verify the correct measurments of where to put the wall mount. The mounting kit contained many extra types of screws for various mounting situations. I wound up using several of them in the install. I hooked up the cables, hung the TV on the wall mount and slid on the facia. The wall mount has a snap together type of locking system that locks the two halves together.

The front of the new TV screen is flush with the back side of the finished facia board. This enables the facia trim to slide up into position without scraping the TV screen. The finished effect is that the TV is "floating" in the space, with about 1" air space on all sides.

I was happy with the way it turned out, and it was accomplished with a minimum of cost (less than $50) and one afternoon worth of labor. All in all not too bad of a project.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I finally decided to get rid of the 72 pound brick TV that came with the MH. I replaced it with a Panasonic 26" LCD HDTV that weighs in at just over 30 pounds. Quite a difference! I thought I would share some of the install pics that I took along the way.

First I had to remove the old TV, which was NOT a one person job. I have had the wood facia off before so I knew already what was needed there. There is plenty of room to get behind and unplug cables and stuff, so that was not a problem. The power cord was the most involved because I had to remove a facia panel in the cabinet next door (easy) where the video switch is located. Reaching all the way to the back of that cabinet to unplug the cord was quite a stretch (good thing i'm tall). The DW helped by making sure that the cords didn't get hung up when I shouldered the TV to lift it out of the cabinet.

Setting the new TV in place while I tested the hook ups was easy and looked like this:

I was impressed by the strength of the TV enclosure framework that Winnie had built. There is a buch of wires running every which way though.

I used a solid wall mount attached to the back of the new TV. I purchased it at Home Depot for $39. Half attaches to the back of the TV and the other half to the wall or mounting surface. For my mounting surface I first measured the thickness of the TV with the mounting bracket attached. 5 3/4 inches. In measuring the metal frame of the cabinet, I saw that there was no metal to mount a brace horizontaly, so vertical was the only choice. I used a section of 5/8 thick plywood about 10" wide, cut to length and notched at the top to fit around a welded bracket.

Those screws at the top are drilled into a heavy steel tube that supports the top of the MH. That was one of the hardest parts of the install, getting through the thickness of the steel. I also painted the top of the board to black out any that may be visible after the TV was installed.

I also put a "L" bracket at the bottom of the cabinet, just to steady the bottom if the MH were to bounce around on some road. A little more paint at the bottom for good measure.

Since I subscribe to the "better safe than sorry" school on some things, I opted to add a little extra bracing on the back of the mounting board. That involved picking up a 3' piece of 1/2" aluminum stock while at HD. I cut it in half and angled the ends to fit the cabinet.

I installed two braces about mid way on the mounting board, screwed and bolted to the frame.

The braces made the mounting board rock solid. I slid the facia trim back on the opening to verify the correct measurments of where to put the wall mount. The mounting kit contained many extra types of screws for various mounting situations. I wound up using several of them in the install. I hooked up the cables, hung the TV on the wall mount and slid on the facia. The wall mount has a snap together type of locking system that locks the two halves together.

The front of the new TV screen is flush with the back side of the finished facia board. This enables the facia trim to slide up into position without scraping the TV screen. The finished effect is that the TV is "floating" in the space, with about 1" air space on all sides.

I was happy with the way it turned out, and it was accomplished with a minimum of cost (less than $50) and one afternoon worth of labor. All in all not too bad of a project.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #3

SargeW, Super job! I really like the fit of the tv in the opening. What is the model# of TV, I will be replacing ours in the near future and your installation really impressed me [one of the best that I've seen] Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SargeW;

Thanks for the post and pictures. I believe you did an excellent job. Looks professional. I believe more of us will be updating TVs in the next year. I want to start with my bedroom TV first.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Indiana and Don, thanks! I was kinda dreading it at first, but once I got started it wasn't bad at all. The TV is a 26" Panasonic, Model TC-26LX70. I selected this particular brand/model due to Consumer Reports rating it among the best for most veiwing angle and picture quality. I got it at Sears, they were having a Presidents day sale, and I had a gift card which was kinda nice.

I may tackle the bedroom one next myself!

Sarge
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 AM   #6

Sarge,nice neat job you did. I opt to put mine on a door that swings open and have the space for a little more storage.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, I considered that briefly Joe. But with my luck I would hit a bump, and it would fly off and hit me in the head
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Was your stock TV not digital?...did you have to get rid of it or just wanted a HD flat panel LCD?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Right on both counts Gerry. The Sony that came with the MH was not HDTV
capable, and the new one is MUCH lighter.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Super job Sarge! Thanks for sharing.

I replaced our bedroom TV with a 32" HD LCD last month and we love it. I'm now shopping for a new 37" Sony Bravia to replace the 27" Sony brick which came installed in the living area.

Next comes the HD satelite and then, and then, and then...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I know,ain't is somthing. I can always find some other project to get started on. I just love to tinker..........
Old 03-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Really nice job sarge, looks like a factory install. Everyone should remember that if you are already using the Dish Network or Direct TV receiver with a satellite dish, you are already watching digital tv with your current tv. The change in Feb-09 is to digital tv. HDTV is just an enhancement possible with digital tv. You will not have to replace your tv to watch digital tv, you will be able to coninue to use your current tvs with the Dish or Direct TV satellite receivers or with your over the air antenna with a converter box that will cost about $10 with the rebate coupon available from the government. You will have to get a HD capable tv to be able to watch tv in high definition, but if you are happy with the picture you get with your current tv you will be able to continue to use it. The tvs in our motorhome are only about 3 years old and we are not going to replace them. We will just continue to use our Direct TV and satellite dish and will also get the $10.00 converter box to enable us to get the local digital channels with our antenna. When our rv tvs do go south we will then replace them with HDTVs as we did get one for our house for Christmas and the HD picture is outstanding especially for sports!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
A very good point Steve. This was strictly voluntary. But I had been thinking about it for a while anyway, so now was as good a time as any.

Sarge
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #14

Sarge,

Talk about TIMING! We left on 3/19 for Randsburg to do some riding. Going up I15 to Devore the Sony 72# brick was jump'n. Even my wife said: "ok, when you puting an LCD up there!?"

We have the 36' version of the Journey (Itasca Meridian). I'm sure I'll have some questions when I get started. A few quick ones:
1. the wood (Cherry border). Once I take off the back plastic does it just slide out?
2. What mount did you purchase from Home Depot? Do you have a sku/part #?
3. Unplugging the tube-tv: was that passenger or driver side cabinet?
4. Noticed that you have the tv 'float'. Can you see behind it or is the rear shroud cut off enough light to hide the wires/gaps?

I too am in so CA, near Laguna. Thanks for posting Sarge! Can't wait until you tear in to the bedroom!

Mike
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote