Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > Blogs > More blogs to come
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
I have worked in the automotive service business most of my life. RV's are somewhat new to me, but there are many similarities with them and their cousins... cars and trucks. I am a long time automotive enthusiast and hope to help others by providing any info I can. In the following blogs I will attempt to describe repairs and maintenance in terms that everyone can understand.
Thanks for reading my blog!
  1. Old Comment

1964 Airstream Streamline Travel Car Motorhome RV

Hi,
    My name is Therese Becker and I need your help!!!

By the luck of god I became the proud owner of a 1964 Travel Lodge Motor Car a couple years ago and had it transported to my friends home to start the long process and expensive process of totally rehabbing it and all it's mechanics. I NEVER in my wildest dreams thought I could ever find this diamond in the rough let alone ever be able to afford to buy one. But in an amazing story too long to post here I got one because a set of owners read my story of how I wanted one ever since I saw one 10 years ago and what my dreams were for style to fix it up and agreed to sell me this one over time even though they had cash buyers set to come buy it that night. I thought all my prayers were answered until this past month when I as home visiting my parents and my dads diagnosed cancer had worsened so now I have to move back home and need the money I saved to fix up my dream camper to move home and help my mom with my father. I am having to sell it to my friends son because I need to sell it as soon as possible to get it out of their way so they can store the other campers they are currently working on. I'm trying to find any ads for previous sales of these campers to help my friend show the bank comps. but they are so rare I was wondering if anyone had any recent ones to send me pictures of that I could send her. I got an AMAZINNG BARGAIN on mine and I know they always go a lot higher generally. Mine is now gutted to the frame and being rehabbed from the ground up but the original outside is in perfect condition and the inside will be also when finished by my friends too. They do everything above and beyond when they rehab campers for people, so she is in good hands but still it isn't keeping my heart from breaking just the same for having to give up on my dreams I saved years to make happen. I know I could sell it for a lot more than I am selling it to my friend but it's what I have into it and I don't want them to have to store it any longer for me and have people coming to their house to see it if they aren't serious buyers. Since I can't finish the work I intended to do on it now that I was going to hire them to do I felt like I should only charge what I had into it already and just break even. Her son got a real deal and can easily sell it as is for probably 2-3 times as much immediately if he wanted to and when fixed up probably more than 10 times the amount I paid for it. I knew I would NEVER sell it once I finished it. I was to stay in the family I told my children or I would come back from the dead and haunt them. lol Anyway I digress....if anyone knows where to find recent listing of any sales of the caboose type or regular ones without the caboose I would greatly appreciate a copy of the advertisement emailed to me at therese.becker@gmx.com

Thank you for any help,

Therese Becker
    Proud owner for a minute of my life it only seemed.
  2. Old Comment

Traveling is the most beautiful thing that you can do while living in this world though and never accept the ignorance in your life but if you concern about [url]https://travelsites.com/activities-tours/[/url] so you can follow it on travelsites where you can get many options for travel
  3. Old Comment

Resealing and re-coating my RV's EPDM rubber roof

[COLOR="Navy"]The Henry Dura-Bright product has reviews that make me uncomfortable and will prevent me from buying.
    [url=https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75-Gal-587-White-Roof-Coating-HE587871/202091022#customer_reviews]Henry 4.75-Gal. 587 White Roof Coating-HE587871 - The Home Depot[/url]

Henry requires 2 coats where EPDM does not. Price of Henry is near the same. Thickness of rubber is thinner with Henry 1 gal per 100 sq ft where EPDM is 1 gal per 42 sq ft. Henry has reviews of material having poor adhesion and problems with water. Product allows moisture to escape - but if water can escape thru the dried coating then can't mositure enter in ponding areas?

I cast my vote for EPDM and plan on applying it to my roof with 10 year warranty. It requires only one coat and is self leveling. The product seems more versatile
    and does not require special cleaning after application.[/COLOR]
  4. Old Comment

F53 rear sway bar bushings causing excessive sway

found similar problem after during first trip in our MoHo only I discovered it was the bracket that was broken (mine has the sheet steel brackets rather than the block type). Also looked fine when I peeked under the coach. Wasn't until I did a slow inspection of the whole underside that i found it. The split part was quite rusty so it had been that way for quite awhile. Replaced the bracket and did the cheap handling fix and now no more swaying.
  5. Old Comment

i found this stuff by Henry (Elastomeric Dura-Brite) at Home Depot and wondering if anyone has used it. it's about $90/5 Gal.

6. Old Comment

The only thing is its only has a 5 year unconditional warranty?
  7. Old Comment

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FX2Crazy View Comment
    Could you tell me if the Liquid Rubber dries with a smooth surface and is it a gloss or matte finish once dry.

Thank you
    If you use the squeegee first then use the shortest nap roller you can find to even out the LR it will be smooth. The roller I used was 3/8" nap which produced more of a textured finish. I wish I had used 1/4" nap.

When it dries it has somewhere between a satin and gloss finish.
  8. Old Comment

Could you tell me if the Liquid Rubber dries with a smooth surface and is it a gloss or matte finish once dry.

Thank you
  9. Old Comment

Installing Automatic Closet Door Lamp Switches

Great idea and the price is right!
  10. Old Comment

I resealed my EPDM roof on my trailer last year with the liquid resealer from Dicor (the same folks who make the rubber roof) and I am pleased with the results. It is important to follow the directions for cleaning prep, application and weather temps for curing. I am pleased with the results and would do it again, as needed, in the future.
  11. Old Comment

These cars are still being made at the Jackson Center Ohio. The first Airstreams were wood and canvas kits, the Model 2 and Silver Cloud being the two most noteworthy. The first all aluminum Airstream was the Clipper in 1936, and was made until aluminum was needed for WWII support in 1938. Many are still on the road today.
    sell my car
  12. Old Comment

Installing a 110 volt electric Lightning Rod for the water heater

I also reinstalled a lightning rod after servicing the unit in my vintage, I also didn't find any info on the WWW. After reading your info I feel much more comfortable about my re-install. THANKYOU, AL
  13. Old Comment

You have done a great job. Can't wait to see the interiors. keep updating.
    Updated 11-13-2013 at 12:48 AM by AnthonyRyan
  14. Old Comment
  15. Old Comment

Beautiful Travel car and interesting history!
  16. Old Comment
  17. Old Comment

I have a 01 Discovery. I've had to deal with a few leaks here and there. Mostly seams. My roof is starting to show a few small dark spots, and I'm preparing to aply the same coating you used. Your info sold me. Thanks for all the info. MLB
  18. Old Comment

Thats awesome! I'm happy for you that you were able to save some good money restoring the roof yourself I think one of the most important things was taking into account the weather. Had you not done that it would have been time wasted. Good thinkin'.
  19. Old Comment

Fixing the Sealand water leak

FYI most vac breakers will work, as for the sprayer just drill, knock out plug in end or just cut tip off with razor knife. as for gasket/ seals, you just got lucky on that one. enjoy your travels.
  20. Old Comment

Time to update my cheesy in dash CD player

Sorry Im not familiar with the radio that's used in the Newmar coach. You might want to try adjusting the fader and balance controls if you can find them. If you have the same radio as me, let me know and I will point you to a download link for the owners manual.
    TV's are not normally hooked up to the radio, unless someone has modified the connections.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by