Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > Blogs > tufftj
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  1. Old Comment

Whatever will be…Saturday June 14, 2014

I find the GPS doesn't always take you the best route even though you ask for it. We left Toronto for Wyoming and logged it for the shortest fastest route, well it took us over the Big Horn mountains, which was absolutely beautiful going up but now coming down a 10%, 31mile grade on the other side was no fun especially when our brakes started to smell and smoke really bad. So now I route with internet (if you have the Rand McNally GPS and member of Good Sam) you can build your route on line, then transfer it to the GPS. So that is what I do, then I get the old trusty map out and see if that is the best way to go, and if not then I just reroute us on the trip planner, to keep us from going through cities like Montreal etc. It is the same for us if we don't take the bypass around Chicago or Atlanta, I have been stuck in non stop traffic there to so same in both countries. If you decide to travel in Canada thru Ontario east I can help guide with some tips. Hope the rest of your trip was good. There is also a site called Campedthere.com check it out people post their experiences.
  2. Old Comment

Whatever will be…Saturday June 14, 2014

There are a lot of things to see in Montreal. Drive up to mount royal and see the cross and then over to St. Joseph's Oratory (Oratoire St. Joseph De Mont Royal in French). A tour of Old Montreal is definitely in order with its narrow streets and cobblestone ways. It has a lot of trendy shops and old buildings. Downtown Montreal is nice but get there on the metro and explore the underground shopping complexes. There are also the old expo 67 buildings on Ile St Helen along with the Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Just a few suggestions. I am sure you will find many more.
  3. Old Comment

Whatever will be, will be..Today is Wed Aug. 28, Day 139 of our trip....

Haven't you learned yet, all of the good campgrounds are near railroad tracks. At least that's what I have noticed.
  4. Old Comment

Whatever will be, will be...Aug 6...Day 116 of our trip...

Just found your blog today and enjoyed following you x-country in about an hour! Hope you're feeling better and things are going smoothly for you guys. Thanks for the travelogue.
  5. Old Comment

Whatever will be, will be

Sorry I missed your call yesterday - had to run Brian to the ferry. Mike looked at some old notes of his and people have always recommended Lava Hot Springs in Idaho as a "fun" place to go. Another place is Pine Grant State Park in Boise but he can't find it on the internet so not sure. Soon as you know let us know your e.t.a. as we're needing to make several appointments and a bit uncertain about what works - looking forward to seeing you. Hope you're having a great day. Laurie
  6. Old Comment

Hey guys....Got your message...refresh my memory...When were you guys planning on going on going to Colfax? This was a wedding, right? We are still trying to figure our when we are leaving here, depending on when the windshield gets fixed. We don't want to be held-up in Colfax for a couple of weeks until you guys get there....Don't know, don't know....it seems to be a theme growing here this trip. Bill wants to correct this misguided issue of "Moab" being his only goal this trip....He says he just wanted to "Get out of Dodge"....Now I guess that sounds better...
    We will give you a call this week sometime hopefully after we know about the windshield...Take care..We will be in touch. Trish & Bill...
    Updated 05-20-2013 at 11:53 AM by tufftj
  7. Old Comment

Howdy. Sure sounds like you guys are having fun (apart from the windshield!) and seeing some great sights. Wish we were traveling along with you. It will be so fun when Mike can retire. We were thinking, if you still wanted to go to Colfax (Mike and Mary would love for you to do that) it might make more sense for you to swing up there on the way to our house rather than come here first. Whatever you think. By the way the "guest" rate at Maple Grove Resort is $40/night - not $29 as I had thought. Don't know whether you want to spend that much or not. We haven't made reservations yet. Can talk about it as you get closer. We can't really reserve a sight for you as non-members but have taken guests before and never had any issues mid-week. Mike has been asking around about places to off-road but most of the best is still under snow around here! Need some more of the 85 degree weather we were having. Hope you find some great off-roading today to help satisfy Bill's dream and "whole purpose for the trip"! Talk to you again soon. Laurie and Mike
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by