Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > Blogs
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
I have worked in the automotive service business most of my life. RV's are somewhat new to me, but there are many similarities with them and their cousins... cars and trucks. I am a long time automotive enthusiast and hope to help others by providing any info I can. In the following blogs I will attempt to describe repairs and maintenance in terms that everyone can understand.
Thanks for reading my blog!
Old

F53 rear sway bar bushings causing excessive sway

Posted 11-08-2010 at 09:26 PM by Wanabee FTer (More blogs to come)
Updated 11-28-2010 at 10:35 PM by Wanabee FTer

A factory sway bar is designed to limit the amount of side to side sway between the axle and the frame of the vehicle it is mounted on. It limits the amount of roll by transferring downward force to the opposite side of the axle, thus reducing sway. Every sway bar has a pre-determined amount of twist built into it by design. The thicker the sway bar, the less amount of twist is generated. This system works well if everything is within design tolerances.
OK, now that all of that technical...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F53RearSwayBar.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	43   Click image for larger version

Name:	SwayBarBroken.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	44  

Click image for larger version