Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

04 Adventurer sewer smell after dumping

What am I doing incorrectly?

I changed all the breathing one way values in the coach. I first dump the black opening the value slowly, when empty then I close it and then open the gray tank value. At this point all is good until I close the gray tank value and then the smell is detectable inside the coach, ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a similar problem. I thought it was the toilet valve leaking. Seems to be worse when I use the black tank flush system.
Now I just make sure I run the dash air on fresh and fan at high to pressurize the inside of the rig.
Of course all the windows, doors and vents have to be closed also.
That seems to work. I also put some of that black tank additive and a couple gallons of water in after the draining.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Grey tank vent..........check it for obstructions

Rubber band a plastic bag over the Air Admittance Valves on sink drain lines one at a time to see if smell dosen't occur when dumping
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem on a 97 Adventure. I spent a good amount of time looking for the problem. When ever I finished dumping the grey water I would drain and pick up the hose and store it in the compartment next to sewer valves. I found the odor was coming from the hose as I was not capping the hose ends. After capping the sewer hose on each end before I stored it my problem went away. I had always flushed the hose before storing it and didn't think it would have an order but it did.

Good luck with your problem and let us know what you find.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #5

I dump the black tank when empty I dump the gray tank to flush the hose then I flush the hose close valves add water and chemical to black tank.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't slowly open the black valve. If it's too slow the liquid will drain, leaving the solids. Even if you drain only some of the liquid you'll miss out on having the liquid help flush the solids. Pull the black valve quickly so that you'll get a sudden swoosh of stuff coming out.
And, yes thew grey water smells. Add a grey water chemical upon occasion.

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
Loc.: Mich
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #7

Our adventurer does that too. I just open a vent and turn on exhaust fan for a few minutes after dumping.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

My '03 Adventurer, 33V, had similar issue. Turned out the black tank vent pipe had pulled out from the tank grommet. My toilet was located on the curb side, and vent pipe was hidden by a false corner box. Removed the box, loosened the hose clamp holding the pipe in place and pushed it down into newly installed grommet.

I had to add a small section of pipe to the roof end.

If I remember right, I removed the toilet to install the grommet.

I think what happened was the top of the tank had drooped, and the pipe pulled out.

Tags
adventurer, smell, vent