Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #1

07 Journey Kwikee 1-step to 2-step conversion

Hi all --

I have a '07 Journey with the single Kwikee powered step. Problem is it's quite a step down to the ground from the single step. Anyone convert to the 2-step Kwikee on a Journey? The 2-steps will be a much easier climb in and out of the coach.

My concern is the fiberglass flange over the step. It looks like it may interfere with the 2-step Kwikee as the top rise on the 2-step is shallower. Anyone do this conversion? Does it interfere with the fiberglass step flange on the coach?

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #2

I have had the same thought on my 2007 Journey. A lot of times when you level the MH, the front end is raised and that last step is a doozy.

I don't have any wisdom to add, but while researching to see how to repair my step last year (motor and actuator), I did come across some step drawings with dimensions. Not sure where though, you will need to search some. You could then do some measurements.

Following this with interest,
Jay
Old 07-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #3

Please keep us posted my wife would love for me to install that currently we use a portable step when parked but doesn't help when on the move
Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
interested in the same upgrade
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you not able to dump the air out of the suspension and thus lower the coach 4 or 5 inches to help with the height of that first step?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Are you not able to dump the air out of the suspension and thus lower the coach 4 or 5 inches to help with the height of that first step?
I was thinking the same, when air is dumped will the 2-step hit the ground when extended. I have the 1-step, when air is dumped it is only 4" above the level concrete floor in my garage.
Pusherman needs to measure twice before spending money.
The Kwikee Service Training manual contains measurements for all models.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Hi all --

I have a '07 Journey with the single Kwikee powered step. Problem is it's quite a step down to the ground from the single step. Anyone convert to the 2-step Kwikee on a Journey? The 2-steps will be a much easier climb in and out of the coach.

My concern is the fiberglass flange over the step. It looks like it may interfere with the 2-step Kwikee as the top rise on the 2-step is shallower. Anyone do this conversion? Does it interfere with the fiberglass step flange on the coach?

He Don,
While we've had our coach for quite a while now, very close to 10 years, I never could figure out why there were models with TWO STEPS and some with only a SINGLE STEP. My daughter and son-in-law just bought an '04 Journey 34H and it has a single step. One thing my SIL and I noticed is, the cabinetry on our coach hangs down farther on ours, than it does on his. Hmmm. We measured it and sure enough, our cabinets are about 6" taller on ours.

Well, that meant his coach is predomently sitting higher than ours. But, his came with the single step vs ours, which sits lower, that came with a 2-step version. Still can't figure that one out. Anyway, as for installing the 2-step version on your coach, here's what I might do. I'd try and find a friend with a coach similar to ours, or a Vectra or any of the Winne's and Itasca's in our era, that has a 2-step version, and park next to it and really check out the clearance differences.

Without seeing complete Winne and Itasca structural layout drawings, that's about the only way you're gonna be able to tell, if a 2-step version will work for you with a simple install. Other than that, on occasion we've had abnormally higher bottom step entry due to the terrain or particular spot we were camped in and, all we did was, break out the small, foldable step (you know, the ones that have the pop out legs, about 6" - 8" tall) and put it in front of the main, bottom step.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
tim,
Dumping the air IS the first thing done with about 99.9% of the diesel air suspended coaches out there. But, while it does start off at a lower point due to dumping the air, based on my statement above, where leveling can make that end of the coach climb quite a bit, due to a bad site etc., you still may end up at an abnormally higher first step. It happens on occasion. This is why we carry the small foldable step, described above and linked below. We'd all like to have perfect step height when parked in an RV spot or camp site but, sometimes, it just doesn't happen.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/DLLJ-Aluminum...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I carry one of those as well. From the initial statement by the OP, I was just wondering if he was dumping air or not.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #9

Pusherman-

If you end up looking at portable steps, you might want to consider SafetyStep products. They are expensive, though. I wanted the largest one that would fit in the coach's storage compartment. Their "XL" model fit the bill at 16 by 24 inches. Here's a link to that product. I note that they offer a "scratch and dent" XL for sale (at this time, link here), as well as other models of lesser cost or at a fixed height.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:09 AM   #10

I have an 07 Meridian with single step. I have not done any measuring concerning 1 vs. 2 steps however I do not think 2 steps will work.

When the air bags are full you have all sorts of room for two steps, however once you park and dump the air that leaves very little room for 2 steps.

If you go with two I steps I feel you will be damaging them . If you put the steps out and dump the air you run the risk of upward pressure on the step which would cause alot of damage. If you dump air and try to put the step out without enough room the steps will retract leaving you with no step.

To solve the problem (in my estimation) I went and purchased the adjustable step. I have found that with the adjustable legs I have more flexibility to make a solid final step.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
I have an 07 Meridian with single step. I have not done any measuring concerning 1 vs. 2 steps however I do not think 2 steps will work.

When the air bags are full you have all sorts of room for two steps, however once you park and dump the air that leaves very little room for 2 steps.

If you go with two I steps I feel you will be damaging them . If you put the steps out and dump the air you run the risk of upward pressure on the step which would cause alot of damage. If you dump air and try to put the step out without enough room the steps will retract leaving you with no step.

To solve the problem (in my estimation) I went and purchased the adjustable step. I have found that with the adjustable legs I have more flexibility to make a solid final step.
This is why I suggested he find a coach of similar build characteristics, like a Vectra or Horizon, both are one level higher in the food chain but, are built on the same assembly line and both have two steps. I he does this, there will be NO GUESSING. He will be able to get eyes on, EXACTLY what will work and what wont. He'd be able to park them about 5' apart, nose to nose only parallel and compare the EXACT operation of single vs double, air dumped, and not dumped, fiberglass skirting vs cutout for steps.

WE can all guess at what may, or may not happen, what may, or may not work. But, having two coaches sitting within a few feet, and watching those steps work, again, air dumped and not dumped, coach level(height) to begin with, vertical step travel distance (actual, not what's in a drawing) and more.
Scott
Old 02-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #12

Not to start anything but I thought the Winnebago Journey and Itasca Meridian were the same but with different parents!!! But its good to show there may be a difference whats the red for?
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
Not to start anything but I thought the Winnebago Journey and Itasca Meridian were the same but with different parents!!! But its good to show there may be a difference whats the red for?
You are correct Sir, the Journey and the Meridian ARE the same coach with whatever differences there may have been added as *Options* at the factory and, most of the time, like Chevy and GMC, the Meridian is a tad bit of an upgraded coach compared to the Journey. As far as the structural design and layout, they should be identical. That is, the compartments, bottom lip of the coach, etc. should all be the same.

Where the BIG differences come in play is between the Journey and Vectra, and the Meridian and the Horizon. For instance, as an example, in the Journey and Meridian, the propane tanks take up an entire compartment, right in front of the right side duals. For the Vectra and Horizon, the propane tank is hung off the drivers side frame, under the galley slide. That provides for total use of the compartment in front of the duals. Another *huge* difference is the actual height of the outside compartments between the same two sets of coaches.
Scott
Old 02-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #14

Well Don,
I see you've not replied. Did you do the conversion or just drop it?
Scott

Tags
conversion, journey, kwikee