Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2001 journey. There is a vacuum pump under the front hood where the generator is, if looking at the front of the motorhome it is located on the right hand side just above the city horn. This pump has a vacumm line running from the pump to a canister that looks like a baseball mounted near the hood light. The pump will run for about 10 seconds and shut off and repeat again after another 10 seconds. I disconnected the hot wire from the pump to stop it from running, does this control the cruise control, and if so can it stay disconnected,if not any idea if this pump is bad or the relay switch would be bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2001 journey. There is a vacuum pump under the front hood where the generator is, if looking at the front of the motorhome it is located on the right hand side just above the city horn. This pump has a vacumm line running from the pump to a canister that looks like a baseball mounted near the hood light. The pump will run for about 10 seconds and shut off and repeat again after another 10 seconds. I disconnected the hot wire from the pump to stop it from running, does this control the cruise control, and if so can it stay disconnected,if not any idea if this pump is bad or the relay switch would be bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 08-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Ron - sounds like you might have a vacuum leak. I think the pump supplies power for the dash ventilation controls.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the information I guess now it is time to start looking for the needle in the haystack. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 08-13-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Ron,

Check the rubber tubing that plugs into the baseball. They crack and split and cause a leak and the pump will kick on.

Mine was running continuously and it took me two weeks to find the hose missing. It is a piece of windshield washer hose that is available at any parts store.

That apparatus runs the heater vents on the dash, floor and defrost. Allows the directional control to function and give you dash, floor or windshield defrost.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I will check the hose. I had it off today and it seems to be ok but I will replace it and see what happens.I also noticed that when I had the hose off the pump and put my finger over the the pump it stopped running when I left it go it started running again. thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 08-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Finding the vacuum leak will take a little searching, but you've confirmed with your "finger test" the problem. The vacuum pump is working correctly since when you plug the pump with your finger the vacuum pump quits running. As soon as it pulls a vacuum, it is supposed to switch off.

Once you put the supply hose back on, if the pump keeps running, you'll have to trace out the hoses to find which is disconnected or leaking.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I checked and replaced the vacuum line same deal keeps running.I am glad that you let me know the pump is ok with the finger test. when the pump is running the vent air conditioner and heater will work on the driver side when the pump is unpluged the passinger side will work and the driver side goes off.is there any e-z way to get to the comfort contol panel with out taking out half the dash to get to the vacuum line. I dont feel like taking half the dash out if I dont have to. Thanks Ron.

Celebration Florida
Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

99% of the time, the vacuum leak will be at the spot where the green plastic vacuum line connects to the heater core coolant control valve or where the blue line connects to the vent damper...
the green line is visable thru the front hood opening and slightly to the left...the blue line is under the large black plastic HVAC box on the right....both plastic vacuum lines are connected to the valve assemblies by a small piece of black rubber vacuum hose or windshield wiper hose which usually rots out after time...
you can test to see which line is leaking by putting your finger over the hose opening after you disconnect it...if the pumps stops running, you have found the leak....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote