Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #1

1999 Winne Head Gasket

Anyone know how hard it is to replace or what it cost to have it done.
We have a 1999 Winnebago on a freightliner chasis with the rear radiator.

Thanks Don and Barb

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

One more thing it is the cumming 5.9 motor

Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: I see that you haven't had much response. I have rebilt a couple of diesel engines and found it to be an interesting exercise. The real qustion is whether you have equipment and interest for such an undertaking. Also in a motorhome access can be a problem.

Diesel engines have a very high compression ratio and require that you pay attention to details. If you do a complete rebuild, timing the injectors is an interesting project, but that's another issue.

If you have never had the heads off a diesel and want the experience, go for it. If not, I'm guessing it will cost about $3000. Let us know what you decide.

You didn't say why you think the head gasket needs replacing.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #4

Thanks Dirk. I took it to a shop for some oil leaks and paid 2000,00.Then I made a small trip and had a water leak.He said the water pump was leaking that was 460.00. Replaced it and I sill had a water leak.Went back and now its the head gasket. I did see the leak on the head gasket and its real but it real small too. I was mad so he put some stuff called Blue Devil in it and it seams to have stopped. He would not give me a price on the head gasket and I would not go back to him anyway.He did pay for the Blue Devil at a cost of 59.00.
I have done and in frame on and over the road truck 20 years ago and the only thing I needed help with was the fuel timing.
I think I will wait till we get home and do it myself.We are in Q now so I have run it about 250 miles.
Thanks for the help I wish more would have responded to this.I can not be the only one.

Don and Barb

Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho Don: Well, there are probably not too many with that Cummins engine and even fewer that have had problems. That particular engine is supposted to be on of the most troublefree engines out there.

Having said that, the real problem as you know is not coolent leaks to the outside but collent that gets into the oil. That can destroy an engine, so keep an eye on that if the head gasket is really bad.

I'm sure you could take care of the problem. Very careful attention to cleaning the mating surfaces and correct torquing. The question is always if you have time and interest to do that. Maybe you can wait til spring? Hope others respond. I'm sure somebody has had a go at that engine.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Thanks Dirk. I have been thinking about this a lot and I think I will do this myself. Do you know how much the head weights?? It is for sure and in side job,(I mean in the motorhome) As for the leak its just a small seep to the outside and the oil looks good.I,am going to check it again when we get to Yuma and see how its doing.After that its home.
I also wish some others would help.

Thanks Dirk
Don and Barb