Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #1

Well the wife and I just returned from our first RV vacation. We spent about 3 weeks outside and covered almost 3,800 miles. We had a great time even though the weather did not cooperate. We live in a rain forest, and went outside to get away from the rain for a while. It followed us...

The Chevy 6.0 ran well. I am sure we were right at the gross weight rating. Up and down some pretty good mountains. Yes, we did have some Fords pass us, but you know, I was on "holiday" as they say, and was not in the least interested in asking for full performance up the hills. We pretty well were passed by everyone. 50-60 MPH was a good pace for us.

Ran into a good headwind along the Columbia River. Must have been 30-40 kts. That was not fun, but doable. Those winds would just slam you from time to time...

Running through heavy rain, we got some water in one of the lower compartments. I still have not figured out where it got in.

It took a few days to figure out the satellite system. We were in a place where there was no TV via the antenna. I guess that was the motivation. The wife figured it out while I walked the dog. After that, we had satellite for the rest of the trip. As it turns out, we had to set the angle much lower that we thought we should have. It may be a thing just for this coach, but if you are having trouble in the Northwest or BC, try starting your search down around 20-22 degrees. It worked for us.

Got it parked in our drive and cleaned on it for the last two days. I noticed that there was a drip coming from the bottom of the A/C. I at first thought it was from me washing the coach and I got some water around something. Well, the drip continued. I took off the filter and another access cover, and found that one of the four bolts holding the A/C to the roof was fairly tight. The others had to inch of play. I snugged them all up, and will be watching that issue.

The fix I came up with for the access door under the fridge falling off on rough roads seems to work. I added 4 magnetic cabinet latches to hold the panel in place on the factory latches.

I did the "winterizing" thing yesterday, and it didn't seen like a big deal (first time) but you really never know until you test it out...

In the two months we have had it the 31C has made two trips to Alaska. We like it a lot, and have found it very usable with the slide in. We did not even put it out fro the first several days. On this last journey, we averaged about 9.2 MPG. That is with some generator time.

We are ready to go again!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #2

Well the wife and I just returned from our first RV vacation. We spent about 3 weeks outside and covered almost 3,800 miles. We had a great time even though the weather did not cooperate. We live in a rain forest, and went outside to get away from the rain for a while. It followed us...

The Chevy 6.0 ran well. I am sure we were right at the gross weight rating. Up and down some pretty good mountains. Yes, we did have some Fords pass us, but you know, I was on "holiday" as they say, and was not in the least interested in asking for full performance up the hills. We pretty well were passed by everyone. 50-60 MPH was a good pace for us.

Ran into a good headwind along the Columbia River. Must have been 30-40 kts. That was not fun, but doable. Those winds would just slam you from time to time...

Running through heavy rain, we got some water in one of the lower compartments. I still have not figured out where it got in.

It took a few days to figure out the satellite system. We were in a place where there was no TV via the antenna. I guess that was the motivation. The wife figured it out while I walked the dog. After that, we had satellite for the rest of the trip. As it turns out, we had to set the angle much lower that we thought we should have. It may be a thing just for this coach, but if you are having trouble in the Northwest or BC, try starting your search down around 20-22 degrees. It worked for us.

Got it parked in our drive and cleaned on it for the last two days. I noticed that there was a drip coming from the bottom of the A/C. I at first thought it was from me washing the coach and I got some water around something. Well, the drip continued. I took off the filter and another access cover, and found that one of the four bolts holding the A/C to the roof was fairly tight. The others had to inch of play. I snugged them all up, and will be watching that issue.

The fix I came up with for the access door under the fridge falling off on rough roads seems to work. I added 4 magnetic cabinet latches to hold the panel in place on the factory latches.

I did the "winterizing" thing yesterday, and it didn't seen like a big deal (first time) but you really never know until you test it out...

In the two months we have had it the 31C has made two trips to Alaska. We like it a lot, and have found it very usable with the slide in. We did not even put it out fro the first several days. On this last journey, we averaged about 9.2 MPG. That is with some generator time.

We are ready to go again!
Old 10-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ktnhog:
Ran into a good headwind along the Columbia River. Must have been 30-40 kts. That was not fun, but doable. Those winds would just slam you from time to time... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've done about 13K miles in the year and a half we've owned our rig and headwinds are the only thing that drive me crazy! I told my wife that our Sightseer has the aerodynamics of a brick. Oh well, a big bad diesel may be the only answer.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote