Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #1

2001 Winnebago Adventurer35u slideout ratchet

i brought a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35u and and after reading the owners manual,there is suppose to be a ratchet to bring the front slide in in emergency. i have look all over can not find it. Any thoughts and were can i get one?
THANKS
tjhchief1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 10:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhchief1935 View Post
i brought a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35u and and after reading the owners manual,there is suppose to be a ratchet to bring the front slide in in emergency. i have look all over can not find it. Any thoughts and were can i get one?
THANKS
I have the strap winch mechanism on my 35U. It doesn't really work that good. This is really nothing more than a boat trailer winch with a special hook on each end. The winch end connects to a bracket on the bottom of the basement in the center and the hook end connects to the passenger side frame rail. Because you pull from the center of the slide it's easy to get things cockeyed as you try to winch it in. the bracket on the bottom of the basement is very flimsy and if you winch to fast the bracket will rip right out of the thin steel that makes up the floor of the basement.

I've had a few HWH issues over the years and the bracket on the bottom of the slide basement eventually failed.

Now I use two 1.5" ratchet straps. With the basement doors open I hook the ratchet end of the strap to the very end of the slide mechanism just inside the basement door. I hook the strap end of the hook to the frame rail. If I have a helper we both winch the slide in using both ratchet straps at the same time. After coming in about 1' you have to release the ratchet and unspool the strap and start over. You only have to do this twice. After the second round of winching the slide in the ratchet strap will pull the slide in tight against the side of the coach. Leave the ratchet straps in place until you are ready to repair the slide. You can drive down the road with the slide in tight and it will not try to inch out regardless of the type of failure you've had.

Without a helper you just alternately make a couple of cranks on the ratchet strap moving from front to rear and back. It's still very easy.

As the pumps, motors and hoses get old on these coaches you have to be ready to improvise. These ratchet straps will pull the bedroom slide in too you just have to remove the false floor in the storage space under the bed.

Of course you still have to release the solenoids at the pump to get the fluid moving but that is detailed in the owners manual.

Bottom line is two decent quality 1.5" ratchet straps are a way better option than the boat winch.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:52 PM   #3

We have a different model than yours, ours was mounted on the wall inside the water heater compartment. On our model it is right of the entry door. Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:25 AM   #4

The rachet was in the bag of books for our 2005.

Sent from my SM-G960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #5

Mine was missing so I bought a Harbor Freight winch that hooks over the top step and attaches to a strap under the couch that looks like a seat belt.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nch-95541.html

Worked well the one time I needed it at home.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #6

The emergency winch and anchor system is a bit different on a 2001 Adventurer than those previously described. The winch is mounted to a plate with a C channel on the bottom side. The channel slips over the floorboard at the top of the entry way stairs. The hook on the strap attaches to a U bolt under the couch.

All 2001 adventurers use the same system. There is a line drawing on page 2-21 of the operator's manual showing where to locate the winch and where the attachment point is under the couch
Old 12-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #7

Talking

Same thing happened to me last week. Slide goes out fine, hit IN and nada... no pump no nothing. 9:30am and checkout at 11:am. Called Winnebago Support, they were great. You need to open the two retract solenoids on the slider pump. Pump was under hood between radiator and motor.
Rachet strap was a mystery. Finally did find the seat belt like loop under the couch. As said ratchet tool hooks over top step. It is not square so process was crank till tight, grab top, edges of slide out and wiggle, pull, and even go out and push on slide. Really had some serious tension on the strap. Took about 1/2 hour. Made checkout deadline.
Anyone know how to get the IN/OUT switch out of the dash so I can test it?
Warrior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

Switch probably has plastic retainers on the back that snap out and lock the switch in place. If you can reach behind the dash you can squeeze the tabs in against the switch body and push it out.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

One thing I found by accident with the HWH system. If the pump runs, open the slide retract solenoid manually and extend the leveling system. The fluid pressure will be diverted into the slide system and move the slide.

Try at your own risk.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Switch probably has plastic retainers on the back that snap out and lock the switch in place. If you can reach behind the dash you can squeeze the tabs in against the switch body and push it out.
Thx, yes it does but the location does not allow easy access to get your hand up there. Looked at it today, contorted my body around the doghouse and driver seat and got so I could see up in there. There are two nuts on the back that can be removed and the whole plate the switch is in can be pulled foreward. I'll try to post pics.

When I posted last week the slide would not go in. Then it also stopped going out. GRRRR. Checked all the fuses I could find. So today I got the panel and switch out. While I was trying the switch started to work again for out. I am here for a couple months so I didn't hesitate to put all the way out. Got the switch out and it fell apart. Green stuff on the contacts inside. So hopefully this confirms my theory and a new switch will solve it. Should be cheaper than other options. Sorry to kinda hijack this thread, I'll start another on the switch.
Warrior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #11

my 99 vectra gt the winch was in the lower compartment under the couch,and it also hooks on the top step.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Mine was missing so I bought a Harbor Freight winch that hooks over the top step and attaches to a strap under the couch that looks like a seat belt.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nch-95541.html

Worked well the one time I needed it at home.

Yes that would work however I would put a wooden block inside the hook mounted to the winch body to protect the riser on the top step where it hooks on.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

I’m not sure what your slides or slide mechanisms are but in my 06 Winnebago Outlook, they are electric motor driven.
My unit did come with ‘ratchet’. It is an box end ratchet wrench, came with a hex shaft extension so the ratchet wrench could be used to retract (or extend) the slides in the event of a motor failure.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Loney View Post
I’m not sure what your slides or slide mechanisms are but in my 06 Winnebago Outlook, they are electric motor driven.
My unit did come with ‘ratchet’. It is an box end ratchet wrench, came with a hex shaft extension so the ratchet wrench could be used to retract (or extend) the slides in the event of a motor failure.

Ken

The larger Class A coaches like the 35U Adventurer had HWH Hydraulic Slideout Mechanisms even in 2006.

Tags
adventurer, slide, slideout, vent, winnebago