Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

2001 Winnebago Journey 32T

Hello,

I am trying to research a 2001 Winnebago Journey 32T motorhome. I've downloaded the Winnebago owner's manual. I'd also like to download the appropriate Freightliner chassis manual that would have come with the original purchase. Do you happen to know where I can find that manual?

I would also like to hear from any current or past owners of this model of motorhome. When I was looking at a different manufacturer's 32 foot DP, the sales person was telling me owners of that model were unhappy with the MH because it was too light up front. Anyone familiar with this situation?

Thanks,
Pete
Sandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #2

We have a 2003 Journey DL 32T. Have had it since 2004 and have driven over 110,000 miles. We have found it to be a great coach. Shorter length allows significant flexibility when selecting camp sites and this particular generation of coach has same size tanks as her larger siblings. We have dry camped for 9 days just using onboard tanks without dump or refill. Likewise we have found the coach to be reliable and has held up well to our usage. We average more than 100 nights a year in the coach and have been on extended trips up to about 12 weeks. Even though it is shorter, we haven't found it to be confining although it is helpful if your traveling companions all like each other [emoji3]. We are limited in the amount of extra stuff we carry but we've learned to anticipate what activities we expect from a given trip and leave what we don't expect to need at home.

As far as the front end being too light, that can be an issue. Ideally you would like at least 33% of the total weight of the coach to be on the front axle. Since the engine, transmission, batteries, and water heater are all behind the rear axle, and the short wheelbase reduces the lever for the generator in the front, keeping weight up front requires putting heavy items like tools in the front bay and under the stairs. When the fuel and fresh water tanks are full, we have almost 34% on the front. When fully loaded as we travel coach weighs just over 25,000# and we have 8600# on the front axle.
dandrhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Thank you for sharing your experience with your coach. I certainly appreciate you time. I am hoping the coach is still available at the dealer I've been working with. If necessary, I am taking some time off from work to make the hour drive to take a look in person. My online research over the last 8 hours certainly suggests this is great opportunity that I shouldn't let pass me by. :-)
Pete
Sandpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Over the years, comments from 32T owners is they love that configuration and will hang onto theirs as long as they can. Used 32T’s are a rarity on the market.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

While it may be light compared to much longer coaches, those who always make the complaint ARE driving longer coaches and never seem to have been in a shorter wheelbase like this. Some would want you to believe these things will do a wheel stand if not careful. We have friends that have a 2004 32T and love it. They like the layout and they like the way it drives and have had zero issues. I have a 34H and have heard exactly the same complaint. To that I say BS

BTW- The only complaint our friends have is they are constantly approached by people wanting to buy it

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
While it may be light compared to much longer coaches, those who always make the complaint ARE driving longer coaches and never seem to have been in a shorter wheelbase like this. Some would want you to believe these things will do a wheel stand if not careful. We have friends that have a 2004 32T and love it. They like the layout and they like the way it drives and have had zero issues. I have a 34H and have heard exactly the same complaint. To that I say BS

BTW- The only complaint our friends have is they are constantly approached by people wanting to buy it

We purchased a 2005 Winnebago Journey WKP32T from the original owner 14 months ago. It had less than 13K miles and new Michelin tires but I was not happy with the overall ride and handling. We’ve been full timing since July 1 and tow a GMC Canyon crew cab long box 4x4. A couple of weeks ago we had a Safe-T-Plus installed by the manufacturer in SE Georgia. We noticed a significant improvement in dealing with cross wind and passing trucks pushing and pulling the coach on our way down to Orlando. I’m no longer constantly sawing on the steering wheel when cruising at 55 on 2 lane highways and 65 on the interstate.
That left us to deal with the pounding ride on less than perfect roads and the side to side wobble when pulling out from parking lots or fuel stations onto the street.

Today we had an appointment at Josam Truck Frame and Alignment in Orlando. They listened to our concerns, took it for a drive, and performed a complete inspection of the suspension and steering components. It only revealed the rubber on both tie rod ends was in bad shape so we elected to replace them. At that point Barry consulted with us on our expectations and his recommendations to address them. We decided to go with super steer motion control valves on the rear air bags, Koni FSD shocks front and rear, ride height adjustment, front and rear alignment, and put it on the scales providing the 4 corner weights. Upon completion of the final road test after the work was done we drove 20 miles or so on the freeways and side roads back to the campground. I’m looking forward to getting more driving in as so far it seems to have made a night and day difference in both ride and handling. Josam is the real deal. These folks know big trucks and do lots of class A coaches. Very professional. I highly recommend them.

On the coach side we really like the layout, features, and build quality. It’s really working out well so far.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #7

I did FSDs way early on. The difference was night and day

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, winnebago