Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2002 Suncruiser 32V service panel

I used to own a 2002 HR Vacationer but sold it when I got overwhelmed with fighting the black streak situation. Spent more time cleaning than driving. My wife and I are finally getting ready to retire and move to AZ. We are searching for a good clean Class A and have narrowed it down to the Winnie family in all probability. Or at least something with a fiberglass roof!!!! We have been looking at a 2002 Suncruiser 32V online which appears to be a cherry. Unfortunately the seller is a dealership which sells " cars, trucks and RVs". In other words they have no clue about the details of an RV.

I have been prowling around the Winnie archives and looking at specs on the 02 Suncruiser. Doesn't seem to say ( or at least I can't see it ) whether the 32V has 30 amp or 50 amp service. One or two ACs? If one, is it basement AC?
Just confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

According to the brochure, it has "TrueAir Central Air Conditioning system" and "Power Cord 50 amp" was an option.

So yes, it has basement air and it might have 50 amp service. (I think the 30 amp units were fairly easy to convert to 50 amp, a search here would find more info, if it turn out it has 30 amp service, and you'd like 50 amp.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply, Tim. Having owned a 36' A with two roof AC unites and 50 amp service I am a little nervous about 32' with one AC unit. Is the basement air more efficient? I'm talking a move to AZ here. Just wondering if that one AC unit will cool it? Just not familiar with the Itasca brand. I can't imagine Winnie would produce a coach that you couldn't keep cool......but you never know.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have the Winn. Adventure 32v. It has the True Air and we think it is much better then the roof air and quieter. You do loose some storage space because the unit is at the back corner bedroom side. We had another RV that was 32, 33 ft but had no slides, this with with the slides is a great size for two.
I would go see the RV in person and really see if it is what you want. Ours has the Chev. engine which is what my husband wanted, I wanted the two slides and the 2002 was the first year the 32 had the two sides, also wanted the separate toilet rather then all in one. All things that we learned from having the previous RV. Forgot to mention ours is 30 amp, would be nice to have 50 but ok.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We had a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V for over 12 years, and put over 100,000 miles on it. It was a great coach. We loved the floor plan, and had plenty of storage space. We took several 3 month vacations without storage problems.

As for the electrical service tderonne is correct. It came standard with a 30 amp service. The 50 amp was optional. We opted for the larger service and were never disappointed. You can run both basement air compressors on 30 amp, but the energy monitoring system will shed things like the water heater and microwave when they both kick in.

Check the condenser coils on the AC. They're supposed to be cleaned once or twice a year. Most people don't do it, and there have been some system failures due to packed in leaves, dirt, and other debris. Also run the AC and check that both compressors run, and there is no thumping or squealing.

Check the operation of the Motoraid heater under the floor between the drivers and passengers seats. Many had a problem with the fan sliding on the motor shaft. If it slid too far it would bind on the housing and blow the fuse. To reach the heater on the 32V the water heater has to be removed, which isn't an easy task.

All in all we had very few problems with the coach. Look for signs of rust inside the storage cabinets, especially the one on the Stormore cabinet just behind the drivers seat. There is no mud flap behind the wheel and anything on the road gets thrown against the front surface of the cabinet. In later years the front of the cabinet was made of plastic so as not to be readily damaged by salt spray.

If you see signs of rust inside the cabinets check the seams and the overhead lights. We had a leak at one light. The lens would fill with water and eventually spill into the cabinet. We also had an open seam in the front drivers side cabinet that eventually caused the side wall to rust through. It was repaired at the factory in Forest City, but it wasn't cheap.

If the one you buy doesn't already have a surge protector I would install one. We had to have the one place monitor repaired after a nearby lightning strike. The repair cost about $300.00 because the newer system uses a different wiring harness. You can probably buy a surge protector for less.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just to add on to Hikerdogs, check to see if your water heater works both on propane and electric. We've owned our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V for 3 year's now and I haven't had the electric water heater working yet. The propane works just fine and we have the optional 10 gallon hot water tank. I keep meaning to get to try to troubleshoot the circuit board but never seem to get to it.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Just to add on to Hikerdogs, check to see if your water heater works both on propane and electric. We've owned our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer 32V for 3 year's now and I haven't had the electric water heater working yet. The propane works just fine and we have the optional 10 gallon hot water tank. I keep meaning to get to try to troubleshoot the circuit board but never seem to get to it.
Mine has the 10 gallon water heater but it has no circuit board for the electric element. It is installed in the back of the heater and has its own thermostat and limit. This limit is manual reset so that may be your problem. When the switch is on and thermostat calling it works weather the gas is on or not. Unless the water heater has been changed this is the way they work if its been changed to the new design the gas and electric are integrated together.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
As mentioned there is no "circuit board" as such on this style water heater. There is however a thermostat and over temperature switch on the rear of the unit. Here's a link to the manual for Atwood water heaters.

Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting

About 2/3 of the way through the manual is a graphic of the rear of the heater showing the heating element, over temp switch, and thermostat (items 23, 24, and 25 in the parts list). The over temp switch is resettable by just pushing on the red button. The problem is it's at the rear of the heater and difficult to access.

Over time the switch becomes weaker. We had to reset ours several times before I finally replaced it. The thermostat and over temp switch are available from most RV parts stores and cost less than $15.00
Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks a lot for the help. We really like the Suncruisers and Adventurers. Allegro Bay is also on the short list. Just seem like these units have a little more oomph for the dollar.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

electric part of water heater

Just a note on the electric part of the hot water heater. Yesterday we picked up our rv from our repair shop. The stairs had started acting up and we couldn't find the cause. Also had lost the electric part of the water heater, so asked if he would see what was going on with it. Come to find out the switch to turn on the electric part of the water heater ( ours is above the microwave in the cabinet) is on the gfi line. The plug by the entrance door was tripped and that's why the electric would not work. Just thought this info might help someone else.

Tags
panel, service, suncruiser