RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom tow rear flashers not working.

I am at my wits ends. My rear turn signals and brake lights are not working; nor are the tow hitch/trailer brake/turn signals .
The tow hitch 7 flat pin socket we installed 8 months ago worked very well for my car hauler which is all led.
I now have a tow dolly that uses temporary lights...magnetic base type.....that are not led.
Did I blow a fuse ? If so where are these fuses ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

All 12V chassis fuses are behind the metal panel above the genset. Twist the latching levers counter-clockwise to remove the panel. There should be a paper sticker inside identifying the location of each fuse and relay.
If that sticker/paper is missing, PM me and I'll try to reply with a picture of mine.
I also lost brake lights while we were in Newfoundland, and it took asking other caravan members to discover W brake lights are fused.

BTW, if only the tow dolly lights are not working, check the adapter wired between MH wiring and trailer plug Bargman-type receptacle

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
On our 04 Journey, towing fuses are behind the rear right side metal panel in the rear drivers side compartment where inverter and powercord are located. I had to remove three screws and bend that panel forward to find 2 fuse boxes.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi, thanks for the directions. Unfortunately there is just a blank wall above the genset.
The blower /ac plenum etc is mounted near center. Nothing else that remotely looks like a fuse box or removable panel.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked and cleaned all the wires at the receiver socket. Some were loose. There is also a red finned diode box back there with Roadmaster written on its yellow top. Its 4 connections are good and no signs of burned wires. I reinstalled everything , wire tied neatly. The harness to the receiver socket seems to run over to the passenger side ....I will try to trace it tomorrow. Its rather cold here in Florida today !!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
All 12V chassis fuses are behind the metal panel above the genset. Twist the latching levers counter-clockwise to remove the panel. There should be a paper sticker inside identifying the location of each fuse and relay.
If that sticker/paper is missing, PM me and I'll try to reply with a picture of mine.
I also lost brake lights while we were in Newfoundland, and it took asking other caravan members to discover W brake lights are fused.

BTW, if only the tow dolly lights are not working, check the adapter wired between MH wiring and trailer plug Bargman-type receptacle
The tow dolly tail lights and the coach tail lights are working. No brake lights or rear direction indicators on coach or dolly at receiver socket. The coach side markers and front direction indicators are working fine !!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 PM   #7

To me it is unusual for W to have made that much of a change between 2000 and 2002 for the location of the chassis fuses/circuit breakers.
You might try clicking the sticky link at the top of the Winnebago forum to locate the 12V electrical diagrams for your MH.
Here is your parts breakdown: https://www.winnebagoind.com/service...T/2usq40wd.pdf
And if yours is missing, your owners manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...e-Freedom.html

I would bet it is blown fuses. The stop light bulb is separate from the turn signal bulb on my Freedom
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 01-22-2020, 01:11 AM   #8

My 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD tow fuse box is co-located with the Transmission Computer (thing-y) in the farthest compartment behind the power real and where my inverter is located... on the driver side.

Note: This summer I lost my tow car brake lights and the problem was a bad connection at the 7-pin-round RV connector. It was easy to fix if yo have a power probe. ($12 at Walmart)

Note: The attached diagrams may or may not represent your RV tow car wiring. So you need to verify the function by making your own "truth table."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150820_170438.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	272931   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150820_170235.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	272932  

Name:	20150820_170206.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	272933   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-wire Tow Car Light Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	272934  

Name:	4-wire Tow Car Light Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	272935  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 AM   #9

My 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD tow fuse box is co-located with the Transmission Computer (thing-y) in the farthest compartment behind the power real and where my inverter is located... on the driver side.

Note: This summer I lost my tow car brake lights and the problem was a bad connection at the 7-pin-round RV connector. It was easy to fix if yo have a power probe. ($12 at Walmart)

Note: The attached diagrams may or may not represent your RV tow car wiring. So you need to verify the function by making your own "truth table."

Note: The emergency flasher is located behind the the Fuse Panel... you need to open up... and this fuses are located in the compartment... in front of the driver's side front wheel.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grey Bus View Post
There is also a red finned diode box back there with Roadmaster written on its yellow top. Its 4 connections are good and no signs of burned wires.
Converter boxes have a limited life. When they fail, symptoms such as yours can occur. Replacement converter available here.

If the wires to and from the converter are long enough, you can cut it out and test for input and output signals.

Does the third brake light on the coach work?

Tail light diagram for your coach is here. All the wiring diagrams for your coach are here. "Secret decoder rings" are here, here and here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Converter boxes have a limited life. When they fail, symptoms such as yours can occur. Replacement converter available here.

If the wires to and from the converter are long enough, you can cut it out and test for input and output signals.

Does the third brake light on the coach work?

Tail light diagram for your coach is here. All the wiring diagrams for your coach are here. "Secret decoder rings" are here, here and here.
No third brake light . Will be looking under side radiator door ,in front of DS wheel well and in engine room under bed. 37 deg F here today , windchill 30 deg F.......this may have to wait for warmer weather.
Thanks for all the help. This issue has to be fuse related.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
No third brake light . Will be looking under side radiator door ,in front of DS wheel well and in engine room under bed. 37 deg F here today , windchill 30 deg F.......this may have to wait for warmer weather.
pg 84, item 10 is a center/3rd brake light.https://www.winnebagoind.com/service...T/2usq40wd.pdf
Old 01-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks to Dave I found the fuse panel in the forward drivers side electrical bay.
The STOP and TURN 15 amp mini blade fuses were blown. This must have happened when my tow dolly right tire blew out and took the dolly fender and lights with the tire carcass.
I replaced both fuses with same 15 amp fuses and everything works as it should. Remember to run the engine to test the stop lights .
I think I will replace all my lamps on these circuits with LED to lighten the load on these fuses.
I also note that many other Winnebago models have 20 amp fuses for the stop and turn signals !! Should I go to 20 amp??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200123_095626.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	319.3 KB
ID:	273053  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #14

I replaced the entire brake light fixture with the same Bargman LED model, it appears 3x as bright, and is twice and thick as the original. Since the rear cap has recesses for both brake and turn signal lights it fit fine.
I then bought LED "bulbs" off Amazon and replaced turn and back-up bulbs, which also work fine. I bought LED's for the rear flood lights, removed them-too dim, the OEM halogen's are much brighter.

My year UF must be one of the few to not have any electricals in the LF basement bay, happy to read you have solved the issue.

Tags
tow, winnebago