Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

2002 Winnie Journey LD air fault

Hello all,

Seems as if I have a teeny problem with my air system (Freightliner chassis). The last two outings, I have noticed that while driving, the air gauges are slowly dropping to 105-110# then getting pumped back up to 120-125#, then slowly dropping, ad infinitum. I also noticed that a quick rest stop break of a few minutes results in a quick drop in air pressure to the 90-100# range. Once the engine/compressor fires up, all is normal.

Initially I suspected leaking air bags but the suspension stays loaded with air. Eventually it will come down but the problem is clearly not the air bags, particularly since the front and rear air pressures rise and fall in unison. Plus after shutting down for a period of time, there is still LOTS of air pressure released when I pull the lanyards.

It seems to me that there must be a leak in the lines between the compressor and bags. Shutting the engine off and ducking underneath the chassis to try and hear where the leakage is coming from is not working out well. I can't hear any escaping air but it HAS to go somewhere.

Does anyone have any clues where I can look to try and find the source of the lost air? Not making any headway on my own. I don't have a lot of experience with truck air systems, other than making minor repairs such as replacing air horn lines/cannister, etc.

Many thanks to anyone who can help or provide insight.
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

If it only happening after the parking brakes have been released I would suspect a pancake in one of the brake canisters. You mention it also it at rest stops so that may rule that theory out. Also I have seen the check valve on the compressor line start to leak back through the compressor. All though both tanks should not leak down then unless the check valve between the two tanks is also bad.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #3

I do lose pressure when the parking brake is released while the engine is running. But I also lose it with the P brake on between a quick shutdown and re-start.

Any idea where I should look for the in-line check valve?

Thanks.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #4

When was the last time you serviced the air dryer unit?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #5

I have not done it. It is replacing the filter correct? What impact would the faulty/clogged filter have on the air maintenance? This dryer is the Midland Pure plus, correct?
Is this the proper part # for a 2002 FLiner? https://www.amazon.com/Haldex-DQ6026.../dp/B00480MQTG

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #6

Replacing the desiccant filter is part of servicing the air dryer. The rest is replacing the purge valve and the unloading valve, etc. and cleaning the housing inside.When the valves get gummed up they leak.
A sure way to tell the air dryer requires servicing is when you see any water drain out of the storage tanks when the manual drains are pulled. If water is allowed into the air brakes it gets expensive, plus the freezing factor in cold weather can immobilize your brakes. I rebuild mine every 3 rd year, I think that time interval can be extended due to low miles clocked each year, but preventative maintenance was drilled into me in the Army.

references:for Bendix air dyrers - https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/te...ridges-bendix/
and; for Meritor air dryers: http://www.plazafleetparts.com/uploa...nce_manual.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #7

Thank you. Have ordered the kit and will do the service work necessary. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it obviously needs to be done. I was unaware as this is my first air suspension coach. I will post what happens either way.

Thank you for your service.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:58 PM   #8

YW. Be sure to completely bleed all compressed air out of the system, then proceed cautiously and wear eye protection. Loosening a fitting can blow dirt at high sped.

You'll need to block under your jacks to prevent hurting/killing yourself.

Before removing the filter assess the mounting area and clean,clean,clean. Keeping any/all dirt out of the housing is critical to a good job and everything downstream doing it's job.
There should be detailed instructions in the kit.

It may be easier to completely remove the air dryer and rebuild it on the bench. Don't do like me the first time and have an "O' ring left over.
Old 11-02-2021, 05:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
On our '04 Journey, I remove the whole thing for maintenance - much easier to get at everything and get it all cleaned up.
'04 Journey 36 with 330 Cat towing a '14 Sonic hatchback 1.4 liter turbo 6 spd. '16 Subaru Outback at home in Vancouver WA, plus a few other toys up at our remote cabin in Alaska's Talkeetna Mountains.
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I also completely removed the unit and cleaned it in the parts cleaner bath. after that decreased and washed everything in hot soapy water. It has been a few years since I did mine. As for his air losses and regulation it may be the air pressure regulator. I had a similar air problem and it was the regulator on the pump. Another real pain to get too. Not expensive but a real chore. had to drain the cooling system to remove the nearby pipe that went to the transmission cooler tank.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check hoses into gauges

On my journey, I found a leak on the hose going into the gauge on the dash. Did as you are explaining. Cut connected using fish tank air hose connector and problem was solved. Donít know if thatís your issue but an easy under dash check
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by medarwin View Post
... This dryer is the Midland Pure plus, correct?
Is this the proper part # for a 2002 FLiner? https://www.amazon.com/Haldex-DQ6026.../dp/B00480MQTG
You may find this thread Air Dryer filter change useful. My understanding is that you should have the Midland Pure Air Plus (see linked thread for details).

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by medarwin View Post
Hello all,

Seems as if I have a teeny problem with my air system (Freightliner chassis). The last two outings, I have noticed that while driving, the air gauges are slowly dropping to 105-110# then getting pumped back up to 120-125#, then slowly dropping, ad infinitum. I also noticed that a quick rest stop break of a few minutes results in a quick drop in air pressure to the 90-100# range. Once the engine/compressor fires up, all is normal.

Initially I suspected leaking air bags but the suspension stays loaded with air. Eventually it will come down but the problem is clearly not the air bags, particularly since the front and rear air pressures rise and fall in unison. Plus after shutting down for a period of time, there is still LOTS of air pressure released when I pull the lanyards.

It seems to me that there must be a leak in the lines between the compressor and bags. Shutting the engine off and ducking underneath the chassis to try and hear where the leakage is coming from is not working out well. I can't hear any escaping air but it HAS to go somewhere.

Does anyone have any clues where I can look to try and find the source of the lost air? Not making any headway on my own. I don't have a lot of experience with truck air systems, other than making minor repairs such as replacing air horn lines/cannister, etc.

Many thanks to anyone who can help or provide insight.
Have you ever brought your coach to the Freightliner Custom Chassis factory service center in Gaffney, SC? They have complete chassis services available there. We do this about every 5 years. It sounds like your bleeder valves may be dirty, but your air dryer should be serviced. Check them out: https://freightliner.com/Dealer?code=FCSC
Old 11-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #14

Thanks to all who replied. I think I still need to find and examine the in line chec

Well, I serviced the air dryer which had not yet been done under my ownership (my fault, unaware of the importance of this maintenance item).

When I removed the dryer and got it on the workbench the amount of water/oil goo coating EVeRYTHING was unbelievable. Just globs and globs of it. Anyway, I purchased both kits for about $200 total and basically removed and replace every functional part in the housing. I cleaned the inside completely with brake parts cleaner then added everything back. There is a plunger in between the horizontal air fitting and the tiny air out fitting. Removing both, I had to unscrew the rubber stop and drop it out of the top of the unit. Replacing it required dropping in the new rubber stop, chasing it with a screw on the end of the screwdriver and threading into the plastic plunger. A little tricky but do-able.

I buttoned it all up, re-mounted it and re-attached all lines. Starting up the coach brought the air pressure up more quickly than prior. Once it reached full pressure, I shut it down and crawled under and was fortunate that there weren't any leaks. Restarting it and watching the gauges, the pressure did continue to build then slowly leak down (parked at the time) to roughly 110#, whereupon it would boost back up to approx 120# and the sequence would begin again. It did take a few minutes to leak down and came quickly back to full pressure.

The system does seem to be holding air pressure after shut down and I can find nor hear any leakage from the front tanks back to the compressor. I am starting to wonder if this is normal operative conditions? Does anyone else's gauges stay completely steady going down the road?

While I am happy that I completed the air dryer service prior to anything catastrophic occurring, I am still wondering where the air goes while the compressor is running and why I cannot find any leaks. I know someone posted about the check valve in the line, does anyone have any idea where that would be located? It appears that the air leak down is within the system rather than a leak to the outside atmosphere. Any help is appreciated.

Darwin

Tags
air, journey