Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
WTB

2004 Winnebago Brave 2004 34 D Experience with

I’m considering purchasing a 2004 Winnebago Brave 2004 34 D and have several concerns. Since it is on a Workhorse chassis how can I ensure that the brake issues have been dealt with? Is there something that I should look for or make sure the dealer inspects? My next concern is the mileage; it is at 35,000, is this any reason for concern? How many miles can you reasonable expect from the Chevy engine if it is take care of? Moving on how about the refrigerator and the numerous recalls they always seem to have. Is there any way to make sure they have all been done or is it best to just take it as soon as possible to someone and have them service it? Finally if anyone has ever owned one and can give me some words of wisdom concerning their experience with this model and perhaps things to look for it would be much appreciated.
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've owned a 2004 Brave 32V since 2009. It's on the Workhorse W20 chassis & powered by the 8.1L Vortec V8 & the Allison 5 speed transmission. I bought it with 33,100 miles on it & it now has 59,500 miles on it. We've taken it on trips as far away as Utah & Yellowstone NP.
I have it serviced at a Cummins Power Systems facility near my home. They are also a Workhorse facility which is how/why I started going there. They did my brake recall (replaced all the calipers). I've had them service the engine & transmission.
You can find out if the chassis recalls have been performed by going to the Workhorse.Navistar.com website. You'll need the VIN.
I have a Norcold 2 door refrigerator & I don't think it has been subject to the recalls. I believe you can go to the Norcold website & find out which models have been recalled.
The most troublesome areas with our coach have been the leveling jacks. I've had to replace 2 of them. They work fine now. We also have a leak at the windshield which I've read is common with the Winnebago motor homes. You can search this forum for posts about that.
We like our floor plan so we've replaced the carpeting with vinyl flooring & we had the pleated window shades replaced with the MCD type roller shades.
If you have any questions I haven't answered let me know.
ceemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had a 2003 Brave 34D since new. It has been a great motorhome. We had the brake recall completed, but we never had an issue with the brakes. The only other recall was with the Samsung microwave. Our fridge was not affected by the recall so you may want to check the serial number of the unit you are looking at.

We bought it to sleep a family of 5. Now as empty nesters, there is a lot of extra storage. We did not go with the washer/dryer so that adds storage.

Fully loaded with 5 on board and 3/4 tank of fresh water, it was just under max total weight. However, both axels were well under their limits. We have the Workhorse W20 chassis.

With Koni shocks and a rear trac bar, the unit drives great. I can cruise down he highway with only one hand on the wheel. The handling with the stock shocks was a handful so you may want to check if they have been upgraded.

Recently, the Sony backup monitor went out. This is a major fix since you have to replace both the monitor and camera. However, now I have a very clear color backup monitor.

No other major repairs not related to me doing "upgrades" (TV, sound system, 6V batteries). Lots of service of course. Especially since we are still working so we don't get out as much as we would like. I did replace plugs and wires this year.

We tow a 23' boat which is just under 5K lbs and the 8.1/Allison combo has never failed us. It pulls the hills surprising well. In fact, if I was to get another motorhome, I would go with a used coach on a Workhorse chassis. We have 20K miles on the unit. I would not worry about 35K.

The unit has always been covered so there have been no roof sealant issues. I did replace the tires last year due to age.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tags
brave, winnebago