Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #1

2005 Journey water heater

My Atwood water heater ,have no hot water,have new thermostat, what should I check next
Grscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2021, 10:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For meaningful help, you need to give more info.

No hot water... does this mean water is flowing but not hot, or no hot water flowing from faucets? Is water getting into the tank?

Are you running the heater on propane or electric? Does the propane burner fire up?

What model water heater do you have?

Get back to us and you'll get help.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

If your hot water heater is working on propane or electric, and your not getting hot water through your faucet, chances are its your check valve on back of tank needs replacing.
This subject has been covered many times on this site, I had to do this on my own coach.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

As already asked>>>>>>>
No HEATING?
No Flow?

No heating......
Check if the 'thermal cut off' (fuse in the clear tubing) is blown....just remove it and plug brown wire directly onto the T-stat
Then TEST fire gas and/or electric....If woks. Replace the Thermal Cut Off ...safety device that blows due to Flame blow back from combustion chamber
**Clean burner assembly and combustion chamber

No Flow....
Then Check Valve in nipple on WH Tank Hot Out is cause...failed/clogged
Remove (replace if so desired) but only needed IF one needs to Bypass the WH Tank
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #5

Yes,water is getting in tank,i will ck ,thermal fuse,check pressure relief,I changed switch.thanks
Old 06-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grscott View Post
Yes,water is getting in tank,i will ck ,thermal fuse,check pressure relief,I changed switch.thanks
There are 2 check valves at the water heater. One is on the inlet side to prevent hot water from going back to the water source. There's another on the outlet side to prevent cold water from backing into the heater.

It's relatively common for one of these valves to fail. If the one on the inlet side fails no water can get into the heater from the source. It sounds like this one is OK since you say water is getting into the heater. If the one on the outlet side fails the common result is no hot water flows from the heater to the faucets. It sounds like this may be your problem.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Is your tank both gas and electric? If its gas do you hear the burner kick on or do you have a light that tells you it is or is not igniting? As others have said the more info you provide the less questions we will come up with and more answers.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Please list make and model of heater. You said water getting in tank, do you have water coming out of hot water faucets, if yes-hot or cold water?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

How do I get to check valve on back of tank?
Old 07-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
My Atwood water heater ,have no hot water,have new thermostat, what should I check next
I had the same problem with my 2005 adventurer. I had the repair shop move the valve from the back of the hot water tank to the side. Much easier access and a cheap fix.
Odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
How do I get to check valve on back of tank?
Each model ia slightly different but when I had the exact problem on our 2005 journey 36g and I couldnt find the second check valve (the one on top of the tank allowed cold water in to fill the tank) I sent an email to winnebago and they responded with the specfic pumbing diagram page with the check valve circled. In my case that check valve is behind the panel that houses the water fill connections. Upon removing the panel is was about a foot inwards and a pain to get to. In my case I cut the pex line next to the valve and used shark bite fittings to reconnect.
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #12

I am getting water from hot side of faucet,(not hot)no water from pop off valve e #020064 serial 94020006312 10 gal.propane &electric Atwood.Thanks n advance
Old 07-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #13

This sounds like your winterize valving for the water heater is set for winterizing. It bypasses the tank directing cold water into the hot water plumbing.

You should get water from the over-temperature valve (pop-off) when you open the lever if incoming cold water is present; OR the water heater tank is not full yet, leave this valve open until you see water then let it snap closed to seat properly.

Hopefully the ATwood Service Manual will help you with diagnostic work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #14

2005 RV with Atwood Gas/Electric 10 gal so that would be a GC10A-4E model
Uses DC for both gas/electric operation

No water flow out T&P Relief Valve means water is not going into the WH Tank

Could be bad Cold Inlet Check Valve (Winnebago likes using 2...One in Cold Supply and One in Hot Out)

Could be that the WH Tank valving is NOT set for Normal operation but for Bypass/Winterize operation

Need to find the cold water line to WH Tank...Open the Cold Inlet Valve
Need to find the Bypass Valve and Close it (line that connects cold inlet to hot outlet)
Probably doesn't have a Hot Out Valve...most likely just a check valve in Hot side but if there is a Valve it should be OPEN

IF....IF you turned on the AC Element W/O Water in WH Tank...need a New one cause it is burnt out
IF....If you turned on the Gas W/O water in WH Tank....should be OK as long as tank cooled down on it's own
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, journey, water, water heater