Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

2006 Horizon - Basement Air Unit Cradle

While tracking down a vibration and noise from basement air unit I discovered the unit has shifted and was touching the body along the top outer edge and was transmitting the noise and vibration through that contact. Shifting the Basement air unit toward the MH centerline made the noise almost completely disappear.

So how did it shift in the first place? Well, I also discovered the Coleman Mach System basement air unit IS NOT bolted down anywhere. It simply floats on top of the support cradle part #147613-01-02B. The support cradle is made from angle iron and its construction will prevent the air unit from sliding forward and toward the center, but nothing prevents it from sliding backwards. And, only the access door panel and its 6 screws keeps it from sliding out. I checked with WBGO and they confirm the unit floats on the support cradle.

Has anyone else come across this and what did you do to prevent the Coleman Mach Sytstem from shifting.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
While tracking down a vibration and noise from basement air unit I discovered the unit has shifted and was touching the body along the top outer edge and was transmitting the noise and vibration through that contact. Shifting the Basement air unit toward the MH centerline made the noise almost completely disappear.

So how did it shift in the first place? Well, I also discovered the Coleman Mach System basement air unit IS NOT bolted down anywhere. It simply floats on top of the support cradle part #147613-01-02B. The support cradle is made from angle iron and its construction will prevent the air unit from sliding forward and toward the center, but nothing prevents it from sliding backwards. And, only the access door panel and its 6 screws keeps it from sliding out. I checked with WBGO and they confirm the unit floats on the support cradle.

Has anyone else come across this and what did you do to prevent the Coleman Mach Sytstem from shifting.
Well Sir,
First off, in the 9 years and 94,000 miles we've owned our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, that basement A/C unit has NOT MOVED! It's still in the same EXACT position I put it in, over 7 years ago when I replaced one of those stupid bronze bushings with a sealed bearing. Second, in all the years I've been reading this and other RV forums, and dealt with Winne's and Itasca's that have the basement A/C, I've never read of any issues with the basement A/C units moving around.

Second, your thoughts of the louvered panel being the ONLY restraint in keeping it in there are off a bit. If you'd have read my other answer to you, and some others that instruct the R&R on that A/C unit, you'd realize that, the basement A/C couldn't just slide out if it wanted to, due to the fact that, even if you removed that louvered panel completely, that A/C unit MUST BE LOWERED at least 1.5" - 2", just to clear the body and hinge, before it can slide out of the tray.

Now, if yours is actually sitting at a level where it's already below that hinge/body, then somethings DRASTCIALLY wrong. First, your mate-up with the intake framing, inside the coach, would have quite a gap in it. Second, your ducting that is attached at the lower rear section of the sheet metal on that A/C, would have to tear itself apart someplace in the middle of the vertical riser in between the rear cap and interior wall or, you'd have all the screws ripped out where it attaches to the sheet metal.

As for why yours shifted, well, who knows. Maybe the previous owners drove it in some severely bad road conditions at a speed not normally attained for that kind of scenario or, hit some rail road tracks at a high rate of speed, did some off road camping and jossled that thing around, again, who knows.

Jamin Samin told you his had brackets that hold it in place. Well, I've had mine out and, there were no such brackets and, I know for a fact that the previous owner(s) never touched that thing because, neither one of them could tie their own shoes, much less mess with that A/C unit.

As for what you could use to stabilize that unit. Well, It's been a bit since I've goofed around with it but, if you're really concerned, I'd MacGyver some spacers made from wood or, rubber or something to put on all four sides (if they will fit since, I don't remember the clearances from the unit to the cradles interior dimensions).

Mine is coming out very soon so I can replace one of the fans, maybe more junk bushings, and whatever else needs attention while I'm in there.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, horizon