Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 08:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2007 Itasca Meridian 39K, good or not?

Greetings,
Well, the only thing I know about diesel pushers is that I love the way they drive and I want one, I’m probably not the best person to objectively look at a DP.
So, I convinced my better half that it would be a great idea to trade in a perfectly fine gasser for a 2007 Itasca meridian 39K, with 36,000 miles on it, it has the cat C7, it seems to run good, I love the opposing slides, everything else looks kind of dated, but all right. What I really want to know is if I am driving off the proverbial cliff.
I know the V 10 F-53 pretty darn well, I've had three of them. I can do oil, lube, filters on the engine and the generator. I have add anti-sway components, sumo springs.
I feel like I'm over my head in a DP, am I going be on a first-name basis with the local diesel mechanic, what the heck is a basement a/c unit?

Any experience or suggestions/advice on owning /and or operating this type of DP would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
JonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2021, 05:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am in the same position - knowing my 2010 Vista on a Ford F53 chassis w/V10 inside-out and doing almost all mantainance and upgrades myself. Looking at DPs for, I'm not sure what reasons, giving up comfort of knowledge in my current rig for what?

Best chassis/engine/transmission/make of RV; we can pick the floorplan, no problem. Keeping to 38' or under. I want excellent handling, reliability and ability for self-service on drive train and other systems.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We own a 2007 Itasca Meridian 39K. We have enjoyed it from the first test drive. It is comfortable for us and out two dogs. It has a standard queen sized mattress. We got rid of the air bed.

Now for the challenges. It requires maintenance and repairs. I priced service work at the Freightliner facility and was surprised by how expensive it is. I now do all my service work. I changed the secondary fuel filter and installed a manual priming pump. I have changed the engine oil and filter, the trans fluid and filter and the primary fuel filter - water separator. If you are not comfortable with doing you own service work, keep a cell phone and a credit card handy.

We have had issues with the water heater which required removal to repair. I learned that the water heater has a connection to the engine to provide hot water while driving. We like the floor plan. You can walk from front to the bedroom with the slides closed. The rear slide brings the bed up against the bureau drawers so access to the closet is limited with the slide closed. The automatic leveler system is simple and a very nice feature. In inclement weather we can park, level, put out the slides and push the button to set up the satellite TV and never go outside.

All things considered, we like the motor home much more than the fifth wheel we had before.

PM me if you have any questions.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

To use a phrase I hate: Been There Done That!!
Two years ago I traded a 2017 Thor ACE 29.5 (long story on that) for a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36SE.

I have never looked back! I am not a mechanic nor pretend to even be one. I could however change oil in the gasser and grease the 9 zerks. Glad that was all. In the C7 with its 17 quarts of oil just to much for me to deal with $250 oil change ok. Grease the 29 zerks way to much plus the brakes take different grade of grease. Plus to old and fat to crawl under rig.

Yes the 07 looks out dated but DW and I love the fabric instead of leather sofa and chairs. So for us it was great. Yes the 07 does not have all the electronic bells and whistles of new rigs, however I do not need a switch to lower the shades etc.

When I purchase the unit it had 36000 miles now I am pushing 50000. The first thing I did when I became the owner was take it to the local bus and rv chassis experts here in Branson. We did a full fluid and filter change on everything, the reason being I wanted a fresh place to start. I did have to replace the front wheel bearings as they were found bad during the inspection.

This past fall I replaced the Norcold cooling unit as the original went bad during our month long trip. I replaced it with an all electric 120v unit from JC Refrigeration. Could not be happier with that move. I guess knock on wood but really have not had any other problems.

Would I do it again IN A HEART BEAT the Meridian is a well built coach. Good luck
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

On that year i would look for foggy windows and sagging celings all other problems have been minor 2005 itasca meridian 36g 30,000 mi runs good
Old 01-09-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
Greetings,
Well, the only thing I know about diesel pushers is that I love the way they drive and I want one, I’m probably not the best person to objectively look at a DP.
So, I convinced my better half that it would be a great idea to trade in a perfectly fine gasser for a 2007 Itasca meridian 39K, with 36,000 miles on it, it has the cat C7, it seems to run good, I love the opposing slides, everything else looks kind of dated, but all right. What I really want to know is if I am driving off the proverbial cliff.
I know the V 10 F-53 pretty darn well, I've had three of them. I can do oil, lube, filters on the engine and the generator. I have add anti-sway components, sumo springs.
I feel like I'm over my head in a DP, am I going be on a first-name basis with the local diesel mechanic, what the heck is a basement a/c unit?

Any experience or suggestions/advice on owning /and or operating this type of DP would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
If you can easily maintain a gasser, you can do the same with a diesel. Don't plan on test driving a diesel unless you are ready to buy. Otherwise, you'll be looking to sell your gasser and trading up. Happened to me.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
Greetings,

Thank you!
JonL,
Well, as you can see and read, about 99.99999999999% of the folks that have jumped from gassers to diesels, are quite satisfied. Each and every diesel coach, is just that, different. What problems some have had on theirs, might or, MIGHT NOT, appear on the same model/year to others. A diesel coach has a few zillion items/ideas/components/and more, that are quite different than gassers. Suspension, ride, brakes, AUXILIARY BRAKES, transmissions, frames, tire and wheel size, and more are just some of the differences and upgrades from gassers.

We've had four motorhomes. two class C's and two class A's. The one we have now, and have had for 9 years and 97K miles is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. It's very, very similar to the one you're thinking of. Many design features and components are identical. That one of course, is a bit longer.

I have done all my own work and service since Christ was a pup. Yep, no doubt about it, servicing a diesel is a tad more costly and in some cases, a bit more involved. But, don't shy away from one due to that. Changing oil, is changing oil, PERIOD. The only differences is, THERE'S MORE OF IT, in most diesel engines, big deal. And, there's design and outfit differences in some of the Itasca and Winnebago (same assembly line, like Chevy and GMC). By that I mean, mine came with ONE SINGLE FUEL FILTER. While others, mostly before and after my production range, came with two fuel filters.

The main one is in the back, visible from the street, looking at the radiator. The second one, if you have one, is located up close to the engine, at the top, on the passenger side. Most are accessed from the bedroom or closet, depending on the bedroom/closet layout. The air filter on most, is not serviceable. You simply un-clamp the giant tin can and, toss it and put in a new one.

Now, one thing that might be totally new to you if you don't have any experience in driving any diesel trucks etc. is, AUXILIARY BRAKING. Auxiliary braking is simply another form of slowing the big beast down. In the coach you're looking at, with its C-7 CAT, it will come with an EXHAUST BRAKE as an auxiliary brake. The Exhaust brake is simply a giant valve, located in the exhaust system, right next to the turbo charger. When activated, that valve closes off the exhaust so that it can't exit the system. When that happens, the engine can't get rid of the exhaust and now begins to be backed up and therefore, it is used as a brake. When the valve is re-opened, all that backed up air is released and, you zoom down the road, simple huh?

And speaking of the *C-7* CAT, don't let anyone talk you out of it. The C-7 has a great record and, was installed in a few zillion motorhomes, trucks, fire trucks, delivery trucks, over the road trucks and marine applications. There are items that wear and or, can have issues. But, they're not something that warrants the dismissal of a very fine coach with all the amenities and layout, mileage and everything else that appeals to you.

As stated, ours presently has 97,000 miles on it and runs flawlessly. The one you're looking at will more than likely be a rear radiator coach which, to some, is something they run away from. Well, that's up to them. There's probably around a few hundred thousand REAR RADIATOR coaches out there with a few zillion miles on them and happy owners. Yep, they're harder to service and do any form of engine maintenance like belts, hoses, water pump, tensioner and idler replacements and stuff like that. But, again, it's not the end of the world, just a bit more complicate and involved.

As I mentioned earlier, you will have an exhaust brake. With the correct use of that auxiliary braking system, the service life of what's called *service brakes* (on a diesel that is) (regular brakes to the rest of us humanoids), will he phenomenally extended. That is, for instance on ours, with 97K miles on it, those brake shoes are still at 5/8" thick. They only had a little over 3/4" when they were new. This means I'll more than likely be DEAD before the rig will need brakes.

Your intended rig will come with (unless it's been changed) a *Dimensions*, 2000 watt Inverter/Charger. The 2000 watt inverter side is self explanitory. The Charger side, when plugged into shore power, will automatically charge both sets of batteries, house and chassis. In early 2006, Winne and Itasca both started installing what's called a Trik-L-Start in the system to allow both sets of batteries to be charged while on shore power or gen power.

That coach will have what's called a *One Place* control panel at about, the center of the coach, in the hallway. It's where all the business end of everything is seen and controlled. Battery condition, holding tank readings, generator hours and controls, inverter/charger controls, water heater controls, block heater control, air conditioning and heating controls and more, are all at that One Place panel.

That Meridian will also have what's called *Basement A/C/heat* too. It's basically a residential heat pump and air conditioner. There's not any on the roof. About 99.99999999% of the folks that have had the basement A/C have loved and, still do. It is unfortunate that Winne and Itasca ceased to use that style, due to the need for emissions components storage and use and other stuff. You'll also have a propane furnace that is used for heat. The furnace output, is not only used for heating the interior of the coach but, it also heats the compartments.

One thing that is VITALLY IMPORTANT to check either before you purchase or darned soon AFTER you purchase is what's called the *roof to gutter* seam. Winne/Itasca use a fiberglass roof that is one large sheet. It radius's over the edge and is tucked into the gutter seams along both edges, front to rear of the coach. There is a caulking/adhesive that is squeezed into that joint, to hold that sheet of fiberglass in place. Over time, that caulking/adhesive starts to dry out. When that begins to happen, the bond also is weakened. And that means, the potential for that sheet of roofing dislodging from the seams, is possible and has, in some cases.

There's lots of posts/threads on that and how to remedy and maintenance that situation. But, don't shy away from the coach if you see an issue there on pre-inspection, it's easily (but a bit laborious) to repair.

Now, in our year/model HORIZON, due to the ranking structure of the models produced, the generator was/is on a slide out tray. But, the Meridian was a step down from the Horizon and, did not have it that way. The generator is fixed in place and is accessed from the hood that opens up in the front. I don't know about the '07 Meridian. It may have moved up in the lineup and possibly have a slide out tray for its gen. You'll have to check on that or, someone will chime in with that year/model.

Anyway, I could go on for a few more pages but, if you have any questions, surely feel free to ask. Lot's of great folks on here willing to help with that era coach and model. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. On edit: One thing I forgot to add. The CAT engines of that era, at least the C-7 that is, had what's called a *Blow-by* tube for engine crank case gases. The blow by tube is the exact same as what was present in like, a 1957 Chevy. Only back then, they called it a *down draft tube*. Anyway, the crank case gases are vented out that blow by tube. And, in some cases, an oil mist is sent out with it. If the exit point of that tube has not been extended (recalls and alike for that issue way back when) that mist can be deposited onto the *CAC* and radiator. When that happens, it's like spraying oil on the fins of a radiator and then, opening a large bag of powdered sugar and the engine fan blows all of it onto the radiator and CAC fins. When that happens, guess what, you have ZERO air flowing through those fins, NOT GOOD. So, that's something that also needs an inspection at some point in time.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Phil-T
Thanks for replying to the post.
I understand what you're saying, but, we went ahead and started the purchasing process for the rig. I like our Jayco, but it had a lot of shortcomings. Mechanically it was sound, engine, transmission, suspension. The house part, not so much.
The fit and finish of the Meridian is much more “sound”. Plus we will be spending several months of the year on the road. We live in Tucson and we like to escape the heat of the summer. Last year when we were coming home it was 116 degrees, we lost the refrigerator, burnt out. The generator kept faulting out, losing house a/c, dash a/c wasn't good to begin with. It got to over 125 degrees in the rig, it was miserable. My buddy in his 2005 diesel Bounder was just chilling down the road!
I could go on, but I won't.
Thanks again and may the wind be always at your back!
Old 01-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
We own a 2007 Itasca Meridian 39K. We have enjoyed it from the first test drive. It is comfortable for us and out two dogs. It has a standard queen sized mattress. We got rid of the air bed.

Now for the challenges. It requires maintenance and repairs. I priced service work at the Freightliner facility and was surprised by how expensive it is. I now do all my service work. I changed the secondary fuel filter and installed a manual priming pump. I have changed the engine oil and filter, the trans fluid and filter and the primary fuel filter - water separator. If you are not comfortable with doing you own service work, keep a cell phone and a credit card handy.

We have had issues with the water heater which required removal to repair. I learned that the water heater has a connection to the engine to provide hot water while driving. We like the floor plan. You can walk from front to the bedroom with the slides closed. The rear slide brings the bed up against the bureau drawers so access to the closet is limited with the slide closed. The automatic leveler system is simple and a very nice feature. In inclement weather we can park, level, put out the slides and push the button to set up the satellite TV and never go outside.

All things considered, we like the motor home much more than the fifth wheel we had before.

PM me if you have any questions.
KCFD Capt, Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m in the same “boat” your in, my wife and 2dogs like to move around the rig while we are traveling. We really love the floor plan and now we can bring the grandkids and their mom! Nobody will have to sleep on the floor. I will try to do what I can with the maintenance, but the bigger stuff I'll have the local diesel mechanic do. My son-in-law owns a towing company and has local connections with several diesel shops in town.
If I have any questions I'll definitely be shooting you a message. I really appreciate your insights into owning this rig.
Thanks again and safe travels!

Tags
2007, itasca