Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #1

2009WBGO/Itasca Horizon 40WD rain gutter to front cap

I have recently purchased a nice used garage queen. Me not having a roof over it yet I have found a leak. It seems my rain gutter up front extends and butt up tight to the front cap. This leaves a nice area for water to infiltrate, plus the deepest part of the gutter is closed off by the cap and the gutter fills with water.

I have spoke with WBGO support which has been great with other help but has failed me on this. I was told it ..the gutter is supposed to butt to too cap just put some silicone and level it bow high so water runs to the stern. I gave the guy my 2 cents of advice for such a half @ss suggestion and said bye.

I have a hard time believing the above is true and would like to know some suggestions to fix. Can gutter be cut, grind out front cap, drill out gutter so it drains into the awning bead area. Pictures will be comming.

Thanks
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

Pictures

I have cut out old sealant, cleaned and re caulked with proflex and leak test, after I took these pictures. I have stopped water infiltration for now, but this is a weak spot and just doesn't seem right to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_165611_resized.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	253089   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190711_165556_resized.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	253090  

Name:	20190711_165607_resized.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	253091  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Then I find this. This picture shows an obviously gap between gutter and cap for this spout extension
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-13-08-52-40.png
Views:	46
Size:	813.2 KB
ID:	253092  
Old 07-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #4

I just discovered the same problem on my 2009 Winnebago Adventurer. The rain gutter butts up to the cap and the caulk was missing. I cleaned and re-caulked the area but as you said the water has no way to drain, only overflow the gutter. Not a very good design. Did you cut the gutter?
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHAFER View Post
I just discovered the same problem on my 2009 Winnebago Adventurer. The rain gutter butts up to the cap and the caulk was missing. I cleaned and re-caulked the area but as you said the water has no way to drain, only overflow the gutter. Not a very good design. Did you cut the gutter?
You have a leak problem or just the design problem?

No I have not done anything to the area other than clean and re seal. I was waiting for WBGO to get back to me. According to them it's as designed. I am pretty sure my issue with leak was stemmed from the screws in the corner of the cap were virtually unsealed. I removed and pumped full of proflex, added more to the threads and re-installed. This winter I may cut about an inch off the gutter. I just got this thing so I have a list of maint and repairs...right now I just wanna burn some fuel without leaking.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

2009wbgo/ Itasca Horizon 40 wd rain gutter to front cap

Caulk and fill the end of gutter an inch before cap and drill a hole in front of the caulked section downward in the gutter for water drainage. Drill largest hole you can. Water will drain out and not enter cap. Simple logic solution. Good luck. Rkl
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 09 Journey and had the same issue. There is a strong tendency for the sides of the front cap to want to move away from the sidewall leaving a significant gap. I had it fixed at the factory when new only to find it would not hold with silicone or other caulking. The single screw is also inadequate.
I removed the screw and used 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant behind and below the flap to permanently insure adhesion and eliminate leaking. I also added a second screw higher to assist holding. Be sure to add adhesive to the bottom of the cap side to insure it is sealed. It remains in place to this day. The 3M product is outstanding and a permanent fix widely used in boats - it is rated for use below the waterline.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front cap, horizon, itasca