Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2023, 05:50 PM   #1

2010 Tour 42AD

I have a deal on this rig for $130,811 out the door. 51k miles.

My insurance quotes are staggering.

Best quote so far is Safeco through FMCA.

Sit down and prepare yourselve with a nice scotch.

$7,249.30 per year.

Clean driving record, no DUI's, etc.

I'm stunned.

Are the rest of you in a similar rig paying this sort of premium?

Thanks!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #2

Something is not right. Try Progressive. I know 40 footers and above are more expensive but geez. If you are paying cash the only thing you NEED is liability but most add more insurance as it's expensive to fix a Class A.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:00 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is totally ridiculous. Our 2012 Tour 42 was only $2400 a year. Safeco must be trying to recoup a lot of insurance payouts.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:28 AM   #4

Definitely sounds too high. Is that a quote for "replacement coverage"?

The Hartford covers our older, more of an entry level rig these days with a premium of less than $400 a year. But, I went with high deductibles and it'll will only pay out a max of $20k if the rig is totalled (about what it's worth now).

Had one claim a bit over 20 years ago when I ran with Geico. Our motorhome was totalled and I was very pleased with the claim process and the reimbursement.

Progressive is another company to try since their rates are usually competitive.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #5

ACV - replacement as it will be financed.

If I opt for no coverage it drops to $533.00 annually, but all I have is liability, no comp, no collision...

Those are the only 2 options with Progressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Definitely sounds too high. Is that a quote for "replacement coverage"?

The Hartford covers our older, more of an entry level rig these days with a premium of less than $400 a year. But, I went with high deductibles and it'll will only pay out a max of $20k if the rig is totalled (about what it's worth now).

Had one claim a bit over 20 years ago when I ran with Geico. Our motorhome was totalled and I was very pleased with the claim process and the reimbursement.

Progressive is another company to try since their rates are usually competitive.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
ACV - replacement as it will be financed.

If I opt for no coverage it drops to $533.00 annually, but all I have is liability, no comp, no collision...

Those are the only 2 options with Progressive.
It's been over a year since we used Progressive, the way they write up policies may have changed since then. Back then, I was able to set my comp and collision deductibles, my liability coverages, and reject un/underinsured, pip, roadside assistance, and towing coverages.

Being that ours is worth much less, we're getting close to an apples and oranges comparison here. But $6700 for comp and collision,,

Forgot to ask earlier, is this for a living in it full time type of policy? Ours is not.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ghost, something isn't right with that quote. I carry increased liabilty and full replacement cost. I am paying less than $2600.00 per year. Do you have teenagers on your policy?
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:

$7,249.30 per year.

I'm stunned.

Thanks!
2011 42QD here. 117K miles. Thru State Farm $1900/year with $1000 deductible. Full coverage. Note that every bit of insurance we have, house, cars, umbrella, MH is with State Farm. When I went shopping to find lower premiums 2 years ago the best I found on the MH was >$3K. So in our case it makes sense to bundle everything with one company. YMMV as they say.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:39 PM   #9

@Ghost - Yikes that a huge quote! Granted our RV is 16 years older and 15 feet shorter but we pay a mere pittance for insurance which costs $335 per year with AAA. If you are a member of AAA you may want to try them. - Good luck!
inomred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:17 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree I had progressive on my current MH with about 38k who went up last year to about $3400 checked with others called Good Sam who gave me a price of $2600 with only $500 deductible. Of course sure what's going to happen this year as like our house it sustained about $20-30k in damage. Heads in February 1st to North Trail fir final estimate and repair. I had called about a half dozen and Good Sam was best by far.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #11

NO WAY

We pay $1280.00 per six months for our 2011 Ellipse 42AD and our 2020 Ford Escape from Geico here in Arizona.

Quote:

$7,249.30 per year.

I'm stunned.

Thanks!
Fred66877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:04 AM   #12

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 60k miles
Safeco (recently purchased by Liberty Mutual)
Collision damage, Non-collision damage, Uninsured motorist, Theft & vandalism, Roadside Assistance, 50k/100k other motorist medical, 25k other vehicle damage, onsite first aid
$500 deductible, $552.80/year premium
Bundles with policies for 4 cars, 2 homes
FitzinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #13

It was a good idea to check the cost BEFORE you committed. Lots of people don't and then.... I was a broker for 30 years, saw a lot of buyer's remorse. Think of your motorhome as a $130K house that moves at 65 mph among lots of hazards also going 65+ mph. That and the incredible costs of repair is why Comp/Coll is so expensive. It won't be cheap anywhere but some may be more reasonable than others.

Have you tried Good Sam? National General writes the coverage for them, we've had them for two years and apples to apples, they were lower than Prog or anyone else we had available in NC. Try a reputable independent agent, I think Aegis, Foremost and Amica are still writing policies, depending upon your state. Good luck, YMMV
PS, I took your advice about the scotch, good call.
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote