Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
2011-2012 32H what to look for when buying

Hello all,

We currently have a 1996 Suncruiser and know what to look for in a used rig - in general.

This year we are looking to purchase a 2011-2012 32H either an Adventurer or Suncruiser. What are some things to look for in this model that might be of concern when shopping for a used rig?

Thanks all in advance!
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 11:52 PM   #2

Why 2011-2012, those were some less than good years in the RV industry as a whole, why not an 08 model they was built before the bottom fell out of the market?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 PM   #3

We have a 2013 Adventurer 32H, and so far the only problem has been the full wall slide. It was adjusted once under the warranty, the motors and racks were also replaced under warranty, (even though the motorhome was beyond the warranty period) and a roller was added under the kitchen island. The new motors and racks lasted about 3 years before failing again.

In late 2018 we took it back to Forest city and had the Lippert system replaced with a Power gear system. The "new" system has been working fine since the upgrade, and shows no signs of problems. Since the slide has been converted to the Power Gear system we've put on about 15,000 miles and camped for about 150 days.

The new Power Gear system was on our dime even though we had problems with the Lippert system within the first month we had motorhome. The cost for the new system was a little over $1,800.00.

Other than that the unit has performed well and there have been no other problems other than the converter/charger failing last summer when we were in Alaska. A new converter cost around $200.00

If the units you are looking at have the Lippert system on the full wall slide I would deduct about $2000.00 from the final price to cover the cost of replacement. It's not a question of "if" it will fail, but more a question of "when" it will fail. I would not trust a dealer to make the switch from the Lippert system to the Power Gear. I would take it to the factory service center in Forest City IA.

As an FYI the smaller bedroom slide on our motorhome also uses the Lippert system. It works fine. I believe the problem with the full wall slide was that the motors and gear racks weren't strong enough to handle the load.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Why 2011-2012, those were some less than good years in the RV industry as a whole, why not an 08 model they was built before the bottom fell out of the market?
We want the ford chassis and roof top air that came out in 2011 but don't want the newer slides that came out in 2013.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The new Power Gear system was on our dime even though we had problems with the Lippert system within the first month we had motorhome. The cost for the new system was a little over $1,800.00.
We looked at a 2013 and I called the Winnie service center in Oregon and the quoted twice that price to retro fit the full wall slide. Added to the fact they wanted $20K more for the 2013 we had to pass it up.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
We want the ford chassis and roof top air that came out in 2011 but don't want the newer slides that came out in 2013.
The 2013 models built prior to October 1st 2012 are identical to the 2012 models. Those built after October 1st 2012 are identical to the 2014 models.

Here's a link to the 2012 Adventurer brochure:
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/a...r_2012_bro.pdf

Here's a link to the 2013 Adventurer brochure:
http://www.coltonrv.com/wp-content/u...ure-Colton.pdf

Here's a link to the 2014 Adventurer brochure:
https://m.winnebagoind.com/binaries/...-digital.x.pdf

When we decided to order our 2013 Adventurer we did a considerable amount of research and got the brochure from the factory. It took a couple months before we were ready to order. Once we had all the options and amenities lined out we went online to get some prices. We were shocked to see that all the 2013 Adventurers at the dealers looked different than those in the brochure.

We were told that Winnebago orders the brochures prior to the start of production. Any changes made throughout the model year are not reflected in the brochure.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Does the 32H have a spare tire?
Old 01-25-2020, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Does the 32H have a spare tire?

No. It has 2.35/80R22.5 tires. None of the coaches that have 22.5" tires have a spare. Having said that we carry an unmounted spare under the bed. We did use it on our trip to Alaska.

Not because of anything that happened on the way, but rater as a long term result of a branch we ran over when it fell off a landscaping truck about a year before. At the time the impact was so great wee thought the impact had broken a belt. Unfortunately it didn't show up until we put on several thousand more miles.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased a 2011 Itasca 40U just to make sure that it had the Powergear system and not any of the LIPPERT junk that hit the market in 2012 . The 2011 coach is the best coach we have owned. We travel about 10 to 12 thousand mile each year and no problems. The only thing I did was redesign the rollers that support the 2 large slides. They were plastic and I made them from aluminum.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

While not a 32h, we do own a 2012 Vista 32k. It is on the F53 Ford Chassis.

I also love the power gear slides. When first walking to the MH, let your nose guide you first. Does it smell fresh or like an old boat. If the latter, good chance there is a water leak so be very wary if that is the case.

If the batteries have never been replaced, they are way past overdue at this age.

Fire up the genset and turn on both AC units. Let them run for awhile to see if they both work, and the genset is fine running under load.

Try the levelers in both auto and manual to verify they work.

Mine was like a bucking bronco when I took her home at highway speeds. I did the CHF on the rears, installed a SafTSteer on the front, and had a shop do a front end alignment. Now she handles "acceptable". If none have been done, consider strongly getting them done.

The V10 and 5 speed Torqshift are very good. I don't think you will have problems with them. The starter on ours always seemed to drag, especially when hot, even after new batteries. I finally changed the starter and it starts fine now.

Unless the owner has 30/50A, plug in to a shore 110V 20A circuit and make sure the power works from shore line. Also connect the water to shore spigot to make sure no leaks in the plumbing.

If all of the above work, you should be 90% there and rig is acceptable, anything else is fixable.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
"While not a 32h, we do own a 2012 Vista 32k. It is on the F53 Ford Chassis."

We want the full wall slide, bigger kitchen, drivers door and the heavier chassis with 22.5 tires. However, would love the bunk beds of the Vista 32K.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
"While not a 32h, we do own a 2012 Vista 32k. It is on the F53 Ford Chassis."

We want the full wall slide, bigger kitchen, drivers door and the heavier chassis with 22.5 tires. However, would love the bunk beds of the Vista 32K.
We love the bunks and use them for storage. However, if we have grandkids one day, they will be used for their intended purpose.

The rear slide on the 32k is not full wall, but at least 1/2 to 3/4 wall so it is pretty big nonetheless. You may want to go check one out.
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjstangelo View Post
We love the bunks and use them for storage. However, if we have grandkids one day, they will be used for their intended purpose.

The rear slide on the 32k is not full wall, but at least 1/2 to 3/4 wall so it is pretty big nonetheless. You may want to go check one out.
We do dog shows and the bunks would be awesome for the dog crates (have chihuahuas) and grooming supplies. That way we could have the dinette back! I showed the boss the 32K but she needs the bigger kitchen for the "stuff". She also wants the dog within eyesight while traveling. I'm telling you it has been two years of looking at various floorpans to get something she can live with. it's the 32H or nothing just short of winning the lotto.

My needs are a lot less...
Old 02-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #14

We had a 2014 Suncruiser 32H and enjoyed relatively carefree travel for 6 years. One issue: we had the full side slide that had the Schwintek mechanism. Trouble right from the start. We had two repairs under warranty and two outside of warranty. I contacted Winnebago and they told me if I was willing to bring it to the factory they would fix it- for free. They did the repairs in 1 day and paid for a hotel for us. No problems after that. The F53 is a rugged but hard riding chassis. We loved the floorplan of the 32H but you might consider the 32D, which has an extra slide in the living room and is even more spacious for a 32 ft coach. Pluses: great kitchen, two roof airs, open floor plan, large fridge, full body paint. Minus: batton down everything on rough roads.
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying