Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 Sughtseer 33c chassis battery runs down

If I put the coach in storage or stay in a park and do not run the engine, the chassis battery will run down and will not start the engine. Don' t thank there would be so many parasites drawing juice from the battery. Winnebago should have included Trik L Start or the newer Amp L Start.

Any suggestions?
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Use the battery disconnect to save batteries when in storage. Also you should have a switch by the driver on the dash that allows you to use the house batteries to start it. I replaced the my house batteries last year as I kept them under charge when not in use. I have a 33c as well.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker44 View Post
If I put the coach in storage or stay in a park and do not run the engine, the chassis battery will run down and will not start the engine. Don' t thank there would be so many parasites drawing juice from the battery. Winnebago should have included Trik L Start or the newer Amp L Start.

Any suggestions?
http://media.gowinnebago.com/models/...htseer_bro.pdf

This states that you have a duel battery charge control. http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_174399.pdf I think the solenoid between the two battery disconnect relays may be what they are referring to. The center lead is from your charge circuit. I have not found if this is both the coach alternator and the inverter. If you are knowledgeable with a meter you should find the charging voltage on the center post and on one of the other, larger, terminals. If one side is low (start battery) and the other the same as the charge terminal, that relay is a probable source of trouble. It should automatically switch to the low battery to charge it.

I hope all of this is not TMI. Let us know how you make out.

I didn't ask but how long does it take for the battery to fade?

Rick Y
Old 11-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Modern engines have computers that draw power. Likewise if you have an unlock remote, dashboard radio, etc, the chassis battery will discharge in a little over a week if you don't have a solar panel or hooked to shore power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yep what they said, also ensure that the radio is selected to Coach batteries and not the Chassis.
If your setup does not have a Chassis battery disconnect then you may want to install one for storage. As far as for normal use you may want to install a Trik-l-start. The newer MH's have taken this into account and have a charger installed and both Chassis and Coach battery disconnects.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'm sure the system in my motorhome isn't as sophisticated as yours, but I had the same problem. The standard battery disconnect on mine only turns off the coach batteries and after about 40 days, my motorhome would not start due to the parasite engine battery drain from numerous sources, such as the slide-out, levelers, etc. I installed a marine BEP 701 battery disconnect switch and have never had a dead battery since. -RT

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...ery+disconnect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gxzSXXstkyAnMabfeSUfeiuzdvPDAIaxzPLwstbqmiM.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	79658  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If they are running down and won't start the engine, disconnect the battery ground when you park. If your chassis battery is more than a couple of years old, it is the phantom loads that deplete the battery. A Trik-L-Start will only charge your chassis battery if the coach batteries are being charged. Had the same issue on a E-450 chassis - batteries would be deplete in two weeks.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis