Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #1

2012 Vista 35F

We are thinking of transitioning to this motorhome. We loved how it drove and the previous owners seem to have taken great care.

I read about some issues with the Schwintek slide system used in the living room slide. Moreover, a few sources indicated a history of leaks between a gap in the slide seam on the living room slide. Another sources mentioned a leak in the 1/2 bath where the awning meets the wall. I did not notice any moisture or signs of damage during a cursory inspection. Other than a rare mention, the reviews seem typical (i.e. most great, some not so great). I know there are strong opinions about the Schwintek system and I am not sure if I should make it a deal breaker.

I welcome any other experiences of feedback about this model before I make a purchase.

PS. I noticed the 5500 Onan generator has a black, rather than green covering. I recall it reading RV QG 5500 on the outside. Is this a standard gas-powered generator. I am accustomed to the 4k (green) Onan on my Class C.

Thanks,

Tom
Driftless RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think the black 5500 Onan genny is the Marquis which is usually an upgrade intended for rigs with two AC units

Edit: from the brochure:

4,000-watt Cummins Onan® MicroQuietTM gas generator (26p, 30t)
5,500-watt Cummins Onan Marquis GoldTM gas generator (32K, 35F, 36d)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Take a look at the brochure, and specifically options for that model to better evaluate the value of the rig you're looking at. When I purchased my current rig, there were two of that model/year/floor plan two available at the same time (after watching for almost a year) and I made the decision based more on options than milage. One had 35k and one had 16k. As it happened the higher option coach was also the low milage one and both dealers were willing to accept the same offer.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/vista_2012_bro.pdf
Old 10-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks for this very helpful feedback. I missed this info when I reviewed the owner’s manual.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

Love, love love our 2012 Vista 35F! So does DW, the most important reason.

She found it on line (used) in 2014 at a dealer near us. Previous owner (his paperwork in W bag!) did TONS of mods. CHF, rear suspension sway, tossed L couch thing for a pair of recliners and table, Sirius XM receiver,...

Happy with it after 7 years and 30k miles, so far. Had a weird gen issue, had a 12v gremlin (replaced converter, solenoids next?)

NO slide issues (where’s some wood?), no handling issues. Pull a 2500# TOAD like it is not there. Great load capacity, too.

Happy, happy...
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:08 AM   #6

We have a 2015 35F and love it. My only caution would be, if you don't already know it, be aware of the maintenance required on the Winnie roofs. While it's not constant, it's enough to be a bit of a pain IMO.
Upinsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #7

We just had our first weekend in the Visa. We loved it! We had some problem with connecting the dash DVD player to the living room television. We found that the previous owner updated the television, thus not allowing it to connect to the DVD player. Luckily, we just used our DVD player from home with great success.

Great tip on roof maintenance. We previously owned a Winnebago Class C and had the roof checked twice per season. I make a point to have them check the roof whenever it is serviced.

I am glad to hear you have not experienced slide problems. I hope for the same good fortune.

Happy camping!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
We have a 2015 35F and love it. My only caution would be, if you don't already know it, be aware of the maintenance required on the Winnie roofs. While it's not constant, it's enough to be a bit of a pain IMO.
Agreed! I have the roof and seams inspected at every service - typically twice per season. I also make an effort to check the roof regularly.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Knock on wood, I have not had any issues with the slideout system. We purchased ours New sight unseen. Other than a few missing parts, I don't remember having much done to it while under warranty.