Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 vista OS door locks by accident

Owned this Win about 6 months and this is our first long shake down trip. My outside door bottom keyed lock will accidently lock its self and us out!

The bottom lock on the inside has a peg that drops down some times when shutting the door.

We always take our keys with us when we go OS, but knowing Mr Murphy, some day we'll forget.

Am I the only one who has this problem? and is their a good fix.

Bob
Old 03-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Tri-Mark locks locking you out is not uncommon. Even having the key available may not be enough to get the door unlocked. Do a search and you'll find many tales on this topic. Suggestion, leave one of your slider windows unlocked so you can crawl inside if you have to.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I could see this as happening sometime, so I have hidden both lock keys outside. There are lots of hiding spots.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Couldn't have said this better. DW has become an expert crawling through our window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Tri-Mark locks locking you out is not uncommon. Even having the key available may not be enough to get the door unlocked. Do a search and you'll find many tales on this topic. Suggestion, leave one of your slider windows unlocked so you can crawl inside if you have to.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
A technician at Camping World showed us that trick/suggestion. He said there is a metal bar in the mechanism without a keeper, that can simply jar out of the lever if the door is slammed too hard. He showed me the fix for that too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A technician at Camping World showed us that trick/suggestion. He said there is a metal bar in the mechanism without a keeper, that can simply jar out of the lever if the door is slammed too hard. He showed me the fix for that too.
Ray, You've planned that seed of curiosity. What is the fix the Tech showed you? I've had the lock apart several times to examine it. My confidence in the Tri-Mark is at the point I disengaged the solenoid to the lock, key fob no longer locks the door - must use key, and use the old fashioned dead bolt lock at the top as my primary lock.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Fleetman,
The fix was so simple I laughed. He glued a 1" section of rubber "D" seal onto the inside of the outer door skin so it always presses against that rod to hold it in place in the lever. I still leave a sliding window lock open though_like I can still climb into a 6' high window_ya right.

Oh, my new replacement TriMark locking system failed while we were in Dothan, AL. I was at the co-pilots seat and heard the lock click. I looked and it had unlocked by itself. I used the manual lock, and it immediately unlocked itself. Tried to lock it again and it would not move. For the rest of the trip we had to use the deadbolt, the main lock was frozen in the unlock position. When we got home I took the MH to Camping World, the entire lock motor failed. Still waiting on the replacement lock to arrive from Winnebago, should arrive next week.
I now kinda wish I had opted for this aftermarket remote, keyless lock, and replaced the entire OEM locking system. It's downside is, for my MH it requires modifying the door frame from an automotive style locking post to a trailer style lock bolt plate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door