Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #127

Winnebago Owners Club
We also only use the electric burner whenever possible as opposed to the diesel burner. We replaced the Moen shower head with a new Body Spa Shower Head from Camping World (on sale now internet $44.99) and found the head to have much more pressure while using much less water. We both can shower only using the electric burner on on the Aqual Hot System.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #128

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Something for 42QD owners to check. The front cover to my drivers side slide cover was sagging in the middle. It is a two piece aluminum cover. I got on a ladder and looked to see what was wrong. I noticed that there was nothing supporting the center where the two pieces met. I checked Carefree Colorado website and it shows a center support bracket. Without that, I think sooner or later the stress of the cover bouncing would break the cover. Dealer ordered the part, hope they can fix it.

By the way, so far for warranty work, my dealer sucks. Camp world Bakersfield, CA.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the tip smack220 I will check mine tomorrow.

Two other items to add to the check list:

My front upper running light amber lenses were loose. I notice this when washing it. They screw on against the rubber seals.

As preventative maintainance I checked the house and coach battery terminals to be sure they were tight. Some of the terminals turned over 1/4 turn to snug.

Has anyone noticed wind noise at the drivers side windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
Something for 42QD owners to check. The front cover to my drivers side slide cover was sagging in the middle. It is a two piece aluminum cover. I got on a ladder and looked to see what was wrong. I noticed that there was nothing supporting the center where the two pieces met. I checked Carefree Colorado website and it shows a center support bracket. Without that, I think sooner or later the stress of the cover bouncing would break the cover. Dealer ordered the part, hope they can fix it.

By the way, so far for warranty work, my dealer sucks. Camp world Bakersfield, CA.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #130

Hey all...

We are at Lazydays in Florida and are at the point of talking to make "the deal".

We are looking at at '13 42GD (You all seem to have the QD ) and are just looking for them to come to the right price. (Oh what fun....Not.) (Wife at first was not sure about the QD, but she likes it. Our Tour Master is a also a 1.5 bath model, and we have liked it. Just looking for something different as the GD is more or less a flip over of our current floor plan.)

We have driven the coach and also noticed the driver side noise mentioned a few times. I "Think" that it may have to do with how far the mirror might be out from the side of the coach. I say this for on my 2008 Tour Master (Not to be confused with the TOUR), I had the same issue and if I moved the mirror out just say 1/2" more, the noise would go away. The wind noise was caused by air just being forced between the mirror and side of the coach. Seeing the has a nice curve to it, it actually picks up speed right there and is forced at high speed into a tighter area and thus the louder noise.

So, not knowing how the TOUR's mirrors can adjust, you might want to check that. I know I will if we get this deal done.

Augh...what a process this is. How frustrating.
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #131

BTW...On the Transferswitch/Power Protection system that comes with the TOUR...No idea why ANY manufacturer would use an all on one solution like that other than to save cost. I had tested that unit when it first came out and warned the manufacturer about the issues it raises for RV'ers. They then changed the model numbers but it is the same unit from what I can see and now I see them in coaches like the TOUR. (Winnebago as well as others just did not think of such issues.)

Here was the quick summation of the report...

SURGE GUARD 21260 TRANSFER SWITCH - UNIT NOW REMOVED AS I WOULD BE GOING ON TO MY 3rd OF THESE. CURRENT ISSUE, IT WILL REPORT A OPEN GROUND WHEN ONE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE PRESENT. ENGINEERING THINKS THE UNIT IS TOO SENSITIVE TO THE OPEN GROUND READING. We actually had to pull out of a park we pulled into as we could not power up the coach as their is NO BYPASS on this unit. Replaced the switch with a standard PD52 as I already had protection from a Progressive Industries unit. If the unit fails FOR ANY REASON, their are no user replaceable parts like in the Progressive Industries power protection. Yes, you would then need a separate transfer switch, however at least you could find power if you unit failed. (for any reason.) However you will have NO POWER, shore or Gen, if the unit fails are it will not pass power even if the main board has a issue that is not power related.

In any case, I hope to see if I can find a way to replace it however I see that they somehow have the voltage readings going to the display panel.

Just thought I would share incase anyone had issues powering up the coach.

Again...Don't yet own one. But might soon.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #132

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
BTW...On the Transferswitch/Power Protection system that comes with the TOUR...No idea why ANY manufacturer would use an all on one solution like that other than to save cost. I had tested that unit when it first came out and warned the manufacturer about the issues it raises for RV'ers. They then changed the model numbers but it is the same unit from what I can see and now I see them in coaches like the TOUR. (Winnebago as well as others just did not think of such issues.)
Ours failed virtually right off the bat. It would NOT sense shore power AT ALL! We had to run on generator for a week the first time we took it out. That failure and the bed motor failure are the only two real issues we've ever had with the house side.

On the chassis side, we had an intermittent "check engine light". It was due to a bad engine brake actuator which was replaced by Cummins at the Freightliner dealer in Indianapolis. They have a Cummins mechanic there full time. Our fuel tank sensor had also to be replaced by Freightliner. When the tank was full it only read 1/4 full. All was done on Warranty.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi David
I feel your pain. Know it is what the wife wants and do it! We picked ours up at the factory December 19th and we love it and we are absolutely certain we made the rite call. These coaches are amazing!! Our coach has never seen a dealership for anything. The wind noise people have been experiencing is from the drivers side window weep holes. There is no wind noise in our coach now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Hey all...

We are at Lazydays in Florida and are at the point of talking to make "the deal".

We are looking at at '13 42GD (You all seem to have the QD ) and are just looking for them to come to the right price. (Oh what fun....Not.) (Wife at first was not sure about the QD, but she likes it. Our Tour Master is a also a 1.5 bath model, and we have liked it. Just looking for something different as the GD is more or less a flip over of our current floor plan.)

We have driven the coach and also noticed the driver side noise mentioned a few times. I "Think" that it may have to do with how far the mirror might be out from the side of the coach. I say this for on my 2008 Tour Master (Not to be confused with the TOUR), I had the same issue and if I moved the mirror out just say 1/2" more, the noise would go away. The wind noise was caused by air just being forced between the mirror and side of the coach. Seeing the has a nice curve to it, it actually picks up speed right there and is forced at high speed into a tighter area and thus the louder noise.

So, not knowing how the TOUR's mirrors can adjust, you might want to check that. I know I will if we get this deal done.

Augh...what a process this is. How frustrating.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
DEALER AND SERVICE COMPLAINTS.....Freightliner Service....we couldn't be happier with the service we recently received on our 2011 TOUR at Freightliner in Gaffney SC. Their service and their free and handy "on site" camping facilities is a perfect match if you are within range of their facility. (For the wives, they have a large outlet mall). We simply added Freightliner as a destination as we traveled from NC to Florida. If you are a chassis club member, you also get a discount. We also got the front end alligned and checked the weight of the coach to include adjusting the tire pressure. Freightliner Custom Chassis
Old 03-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #135

Morning...

No issues at all with Freightliner and do not need to be sold on them. They are outstanding and Pat in Gaffney is just wonderful to see each time. We said, if and when we look for a coach, we want to first look at manufacturers that use Freightliner.

If we do end up buying the 42GD, we will more than likely stop their on the way home as we did coming down. I say this based on reading about the tag pressure vs front end weight. Seeing the GD has the kitchen upfront, that adds more weight and thus more of a concern.

Only think lacking in the GD for us is no pantry! Not sure how they missed that one.

Anyone head of what might be in store for 2014 as far as changes?

(BTW...I was not trying to be negative on the power protection...more of a heads up. For even if the processor locks up or some other item on the main controller, well, you have no power for even the gen runs though it vs just being switched to. I was just shocked to say the least to find them being used.)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Speaking of service, should I take my Ellipse to Cummins or Freightliner for service, oil change, filters and lube?
Both shops in my town have good reputations.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #137

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most Freightliner Dealers are Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
Speaking of service, should I take my Ellipse to Cummins or Freightliner for service, oil change, filters and lube?
I had the same question as yours. I asked my local Freightliner shop foreman, and he told me that most dealers are "certified" to work on Cummins as well as take care of your chassis needs. The best advice is to call and ask. Also ask for their shop rate or cost, and do the same with your local Cummins Dealer.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020
For L/O/F service you really can't beat Speedco if there is one reasonably close. If not I would visit some independent truck service shops & see what they have to offer. This is not a slam at Cummins or Freightliner dealers as if you have a specific problem they are top notch shops. If you go to them for L/O/F service you will be paying their high shop rates and you will get their newest, lowest payed guy doing the job because it is "grunt" work & takes no particular skill. If you go to Speedco and go down in the pit & watch the service, you may decide to do the best possible thing & do it yourself next time.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
We are blessed I guess. In Indianapolis we have a great dealer for service on our rig - CampingWorld in Indianapolis AND a great FREIGHTLINER dealer in Indy also, Stoops Freightliner. We do get the oil changed at CampingWorld.

I've got a question for any/every one. I never had much experience with diesels before. In all of ours cars I ALWAYS run full-synthetic oil: What about in a diesel pusher engine? What oil do you have used in yours?
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers
We are blessed I guess. In Indianapolis we have a great dealer for service on our rig - CampingWorld in Indianapolis AND a great FREIGHTLINER dealer in Indy also, Stoops Freightliner. We do get the oil changed at CampingWorld.

I've got a question for any/every one. I never had much experience with diesels before. In all of ours cars I ALWAYS run full-synthetic oil: What about in a diesel pusher engine? What oil do you have used in yours?
As my advise above, you might give Speedco a try. They have a location is Indy.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote