Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #71

I sleep like a baby on the ideal rest mattress. Of course I have added 2 foam pads. The electric adjustment I find very comfortable when watching TV or reading. We now have 8K miles on our coach and so far very pleased. Living in the coach is extremely enjoyable been living in the coach about 8 months mostly in Florida since purchase January 2012.
chiroassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Why did you add the 2 foam pads?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
Why did you add the 2 foam pads?
I wonder that too Bob. I think you negate the beds comfort level doing that since the mattress cover is meant to breathe....as stated in the info. I like this mattress a lot better than the one we had in the Vectra don't you? I think it's more comfortable.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #74

Have any of you gone to a sleep number store and had your bodyweight analized and correlated to pressure points your body developes while you sleep? That's how you determine if a matress will be comfortable during a long sleep cycle. That is why I added the 2 foam layers.
Happy trails
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found out about the engine heater plug at the dealership yesterday. I our coach the engine heater plug in is indeed under the rear bathroom sink. The standard 3 prong AC plug actually provides the power from the control panel heater switch to the outlet. When the plug is inserted into the AC outlet under the sink it provides power to the outlet and the wire from the back of the AC outlet goes to the engine heater. On our coach there is a rubber cap that can be placed over the standard 3 prong plug, I assume to be used if the plug is removed from the AC outlet, it can be covered. If the rubber cap is not placed over the prongs with the heater switch turned on, and the plug were to touch metal sparks would fly and a fire hazard may occur. Also if the prongs were not capped and the heater switch turned on, a child or adult that touched the exposed prongs would be able to answer next weeks phone calls today. It is a little strange that the plug provides power to the outlet, when we are accustomed to an AC outlet providing to the plug.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd
I found out about the engine heater plug at the dealership yesterday. I our coach the engine heater plug in is indeed under the rear bathroom sink. The standard 3 prong AC plug actually provides the power from the control panel heater switch to the outlet. When the plug is inserted into the AC outlet under the sink it provides power to the outlet and the wire from the back of the AC outlet goes to the engine heater. On our coach there is a rubber cap that can be placed over the standard 3 prong plug, I assume to be used if the plug is removed from the AC outlet, it can be covered. If the rubber cap is not placed over the prongs with the heater switch turned on, and the plug were to touch metal sparks would fly and a fire hazard may occur. Also if the prongs were not capped and the heater switch turned on, a child or adult that touched the exposed prongs would be able to answer next weeks phone calls today. It is a little strange that the plug provides power to the outlet, when we are accustomed to an AC outlet providing to the plug.
I believe you have a misunderstanding as to how this wiring works. The engine heater switch in the cockpit area energized a relay that causes the outlet under the sink to be hot. The cord you plug into that outlet then carries electric current to the engine heat element. Use a volt/Ohm meter to check.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
has anyone started to convert their interior lights to LEDs. we just got a quote back from winnebago on the order we are trying to finalize on the 42QD to change all the interior lights to LEDs. $1,435. any thoughts on that price???

bob
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #78

LED Replacements

Bob,

If you go to m4led.com you will find the replacement lights for your coach. The smaller puck lights require a 10W replacement G4-12-5050 CW @$7.99 each and the larger puck lights require a 20W replacement and I do not have the number for that in front of me. You can easily find everything on this website, free shipping for orders over a certain amount and 10% off plus they offer an additional 5% off your next order if you use 5morepromo at checkout! I've spoke to Steve there very helpful. I believe you can replace all your lihgts much cheaper purchasing them yourself and changing them, hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I knew their price seemed awful high. I guess i will just do it myself. this will be one of those winter projects for sure.

thanks

bob
Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Glenda: Yesterday I purchased a surge protector. If you read in the manual, they recommend it. We installed it yesterday and our bed is working wonderful. I use a high setting around 40 and Ginny is in the mid-30's....Don't forget to lower the pressure if you visit high mountains....
Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
Glenda: Yesterday I purchased a surge protector. If you read in the manual, they recommend it. We installed it yesterday and our bed is working wonderful. I use a high setting around 40 and Ginny is in the mid-30's....Don't forget to lower the pressure if you visit high mountains....
The manual for the powerlifting beds say that any time you bring in the slides to travel you are supposed to lower the pressure in the bed to 20 and below so the bed will fold easier. So, having the low pressure needed while visiting in the mountains, shouldn't cause any problem since it would be very low when in the travel position. We take ours all the way down to below 10 when buttoned up and have it at 35 when extended. It's a very comfortable bed!

Where did you plug in your surge protector? The Tour/Ellipse has a whole coach in-line surge protector built in (the shoebox sized black box just behind the inverter) so I assume you mean a smaller one like you'd plug your computer into at home the can handle a couple thousand joules of surge specifically for the bed.

Jim Gordon
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Jim: I purchased a small Tripp Lite single unit from Amazon and plugged it into the jack just below the bed. I am all over protected power. I first begin with a portable Surge Guard RV Power Protection - Camping World on shore power....Good added tip on lowering pressure before closing the slide....
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't understand why there is a need for a portable surge protector at the shore power plug or per outlet units if the coach has a whole house surge protector built in. Please explain.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersharkjd View Post
I don't understand why there is a need for a portable surge protector at the shore power plug or per outlet units if the coach has a whole house surge protector built in. Please explain.
Getting hit by lightning or plugging into a miswired post would wipe out the portable unit instead of the hard wired unit in the coach. Lightning and improper shore power taking out your whole house surge protector isn't covered by warranty. The one that NCRob got is about the same cost as the unit in the MH itself. It just doesn't include the labor/hassle to have to remove the one in the coach (which is in an area that is cramped to work in). Either way your would have to replace one of them - just hopefully not both. The one you bought, you just throw away and say ("$350 insurance policy saved my MH surge protector and possible appliances inside MH"). I can understand his thinking and I'm gonna do the same thing now.

Actually, our hardwired surge protector/voltage selection unit in our coach was bad off of the Winnebago assembly line! It was the first of to things that were on our initial punch list at pick-up. It couldn't sense external power from shore but only generator power. The other item was the bed lift motor shear the first time we raised the bed. It's one of the reasons Winnebago came out with their recall to replace all the bed lift motors with a beefier model in October of last year.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote