Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #1527

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am having an issue with the step cover. It will not come out.

I can hear the engine try to move the cover. It clicks and there is slight movement (very slight).

I have tried to assist it to move but without success.

Has anyone had the issue and been able to fix it? I would appreciate any suggestions. The local dealer is backed up for months so anything I can do will get me ahead of the game.

Thanks
Because your generator is on a slide, you can pull it out to gain access to the plate under the cover and look see what is going on.

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #1528

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
JerichoiRck: Our 2012 Tour QD has three a/c's.
So do I. The 40U is the little sister of the QD. About 4' shorter and no rear bathroom. Great layout, big or small.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #1529

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I am having an issue with the step cover. It will not come out.

I can hear the engine try to move the cover. It clicks and there is slight movement (very slight).

I have tried to assist it to move but without success.

Has anyone had the issue and been able to fix it? I would appreciate any suggestions. The local dealer is backed up for months so anything I can do will get me ahead of the game.

Thanks

When I first got my Ellipse, the step cover barley would move in and out. I oiled it and it worked good. Now I just oil on a regular basis. Maybe not your problem, but easy to try. Good luck.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #1530

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yesterday, started Moho, got slides in and jacks up, closed the door and the step would not come in. I checked the wiring at the thing with 4 buttons on the jamb, hinge side and door. When I pulled the one out of the jamb, either a wire was off or I pulled it off. As I pulled it out another wire came off. I messed with it and finally hooked up the wires so step would come in. But, it was wrong. Today, when I got to my location, I messed with it for 2 hours. Got it all hooked up correctly, but still did not work. I finally found the problem. The little round magnetic thing on the door edge, opposite the hinge side failed. It's near the bottom. I pulled it out, cut the wires and wired them together. So if this ever happens to you, check that magnetic switch first, I wish I would have. Just some FYI.

Scott
Old 05-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #1531

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Because your generator is on a slide, you can pull it out to gain access to the plate under the cover and look see what is going on.

Rick Y
Thanks Rick - will be looking at that today. Appreciate the information.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #1532

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Rick - will be looking at that today. Appreciate the information.
Your welcome. Pictures to follow??
Old 06-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #1533

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Your welcome. Pictures to follow??
Well I crawled under and did not see any access panel but it was only a quick look. Surprising how low the front of the coach gets when the air is out of the system. Am going to have to raise the front using the jacks and then build some cribbing. I have jack stands but they are not quite heavy enough.

More to follow.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #1534

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well I crawled under and did not see any access panel but it was only a quick look. Surprising how low the front of the coach gets when the air is out of the system. Am going to have to raise the front using the jacks and then build some cribbing. I have jack stands but they are not quite heavy enough.

More to follow.

Recently I needed to work under my coach to run a new generator wire.
I couldn't stand the thought of being under that beast and it falling on me either by the airbags deflating or the jacks stowing. Drove the front tires onto 4 - 2x12s stacked and staggered. That raised the front 8"s. Dumped the air bags. Set the air brakes and chalked the tires. No chance of falling.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #1535

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

More to follow.
My apology's Gordon. I crawled under the coach this morning with my phone to take pictures. I tried to see around the generator but didn't have much of a view. Mine is not on slides. (bummer) But, the best that I could tell there is no inspection plate. I believe I was thinking of my last coach.

I think we have the same step cover. I ran mine out and took some pictures of the underside for you. Please forgive me for the dog hair and dirt. Looks like I need to do a bit of cleaning. Back to the pictures. I hope they help. I really don't see much that is helpful but if you do the same on yours you may find a difference. The strap is the emergency release in case the cover gets stuck in the out position.

Rick Y

PS: Another . Your cover is stuck in! I agree. Now what!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	129039   Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	129040  

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	129041  
Old 06-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #1536

Heat/AC sensors

I had the thermostat sensor in the front zone moved from above the TV to the panel on the right side of the fireplace. This corrected the discrepancy in the temperatures I was experiencing.

Now, I'd like to know if anyone has moved the mid ship and rear sensors to get better readings and regulate the AC & heater run times?

I believe by moving them to a less concealed location we will get better service out of the installed heat/AC units. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this or considered it as an option.

Thanks,
Roy
Roy-n-Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #1537

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My apology's Gordon. I crawled under the coach this morning with my phone to take pictures. I tried to see around the generator but didn't have much of a view. Mine is not on slides. (bummer) But, the best that I could tell there is no inspection plate. I believe I was thinking of my last coach.

I think we have the same step cover. I ran mine out and took some pictures of the underside for you. Please forgive me for the dog hair and dirt. Looks like I need to do a bit of cleaning. Back to the pictures. I hope they help. I really don't see much that is helpful but if you do the same on yours you may find a difference. The strap is the emergency release in case the cover gets stuck in the out position.

Rick Y

PS: Another . Your cover is stuck in! I agree. Now what!!!
Hi Rick;
I have solved the problem. The grease used on the screw shaft turned sticky and with the dust that settled on it the motor did not have enough power to turn the shaft.

I did try to get to the back and see if I could solve the problem but that did not work. I felt that I could trigger the strap release and bring the slide shuttle forward with the motor and then pull the step cover forward. The strap did not seem to release the cover so I opened up the back access panel. The shaft was the issue so this did not work.

This is the ramp I built to get enough clearance to crawl underneath.

Name:	IMG_1954.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	129291

This is the access panel on the back.

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	129290

This is what it looks like inside the back panel.

Name:	IMG_1952.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	129301

This did not work as mentioned so I called MorRyde and talked to a really nice young lady named Maria who provided information about the slide. She was very patient and provided good information. She was going to talk to the engineer for more help but it was late on Friday so she promised to get the information from him and forward it to me on Monday. I appreciated her help.

Using the information in the owners manual (Supplement 2) there was a picture that indicated you could take the drive out from the front so that is what I did today.

Toughest thing to do. Get the plastic cover off to access the panel. WGO used lots of very sticky glue to adhere the plastic to the cover face. So with sticky finger, arms and elbows I finally got the plastic off and opened the access cover. The glue is diabolic but a bit of gas from the lawn mower can cleaned me up.

The motor and shuttle mechanism came out fairly easily in one piece. I spent an hour with solvent and a paint brush to clean off the shaft and then sprayed it with silicon lubricant.

I think you can see the yellow residue on the shaft near the motor. It was thicker there but the entire shaft was yellowish (tough to see in the picture) and very sticky to the touch. Since installing the step cover works fine. Tomorrow I will move the coach back onto the ramp, replace the back access plate and then put everything away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1955.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	129299   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	129300  

Old 06-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #1538

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Roy,

When my coach was built they moved the front sensor to the right of the fireplace. It still picks up heat from the exterior slide wall. One dealer was going to move it next to the wall outlet by the recliner, but it still only showed about a 3 degree difference.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 AM   #1539

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Rick;

I have solved the problem. The grease used on the screw shaft turned sticky and with the dust that settled on it the motor did not have enough power to turn the shaft.

I did try to get to the back and see if I could solve the problem but that did not work. I felt that I could trigger the strap release and bring the slide shuttle forward with the motor and then pull the step cover forward. The strap did not seem to release the cover so I opened up the back access panel. The shaft was the issue so this did not work.

Attachment 129291

Attachment 129290

Attachment 129301

This did not work as mentioned so I called MorRyde and talked to a really nice young lady named Maria who provided information about the slide. She was very patient and provided good information. She was going to talk to the engineer for more help but it was late on Friday so she promised to get the information from him and forward it to me on Monday. I appreciated her help.

Using the information in the owners manual (Supplement 2) there was a picture that indicated you could take the drive out from the front so that is what I did today.

Toughest thing to do. Get the plastic cover off to access the panel. WGO used lots of very sticky glue to adhere the plastic to the cover face. So with sticky finger, arms and elbows I finally got the plastic off and opened the access cover. The glue is diabolic but a bit of gas from the lawn mower can cleaned me up.

The motor and shuttle mechanism came out fairly easily in one piece. I spent an hour with solvent and a paint brush to clean off the shaft and then sprayed it with silicon lubricant.

I think you can see the yellow residue on the shaft near the motor. It was thicker there but the entire shaft was yellowish (tough to see in the picture) and very sticky to the touch. Since installing the step cover works fine. Tomorrow I will move the coach back onto the ramp, replace the back access plate and then put everything away.

Glad you got it working. Great pics and write up. Thanks

Scott
Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #1540

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Rick;

Attachment 129291

Attachment 129290

Attachment 129301

What a job. So, with the generator out of the way you did find a access hole. Did it provide any help? Seems not. I'm glad you got the problem solved. Did you go as far as to pull the carpet off the step side? The picture looks that way. I wonder why the manufacturer used such bad stuff for a lubricant. If you have any CRC Power Lube with PTFE I would suggest that over the silicone. The PTFE is Teflon and will last longer. I use it on my slide rack and pinion gears, steps, hinges... I have never had a problem with it.

Now that the work is done I guess it is time for you folks to go have fun!

Happy trials,
Rick Y