Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
2014 Itasca Meridian

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2014 Itasca Meridian 36M (haven’t looked at it yet) and am interested in current, or past owners’ experience with this coach. I currently own a 2004 Meridian 36G, and am knowledgeable of the Winnebago product.
Would appreciate your opinions - good or bad.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

We had a 2014 Journey 36M that we bought new and just traded this past Feb after 6yrs and 70,000mi - 3yrs fulltime. Great size coach with comfortable floor plan and plenty of cargo capacity. Ours had the extra sink/vanity ("1/4 bath") in the bedroom where my wife kept all her stuff - cut down bathroom congestion. Towed 4300lb Edge back and forth across the country multiple times and the Cummins ISB 6.7L 360hp was up to the task and still able to routinely get 9-9.4mpg (60-65mph). Good road manners and good size when maneuvering in some of those tight campground roads. Check the big wall slide to see if the mechanism was upgraded to the newer Powergear SlimRack system from the prone to fail Scwhintek system. Lot of weight on the wall slide with galley, residential fridge, 10gal hwy, and W/D. WBGO did ours in 2018 on their dime. Trouble free coach - nope, especially the first year or so - lot of poor quality production issues showed up but once we worked thru those it held up well with only occasional minor problems (like any coach). We also had the stacked washer/dryer installed - worked great. Like you we also had a previous Journey - 2001 Journey 36LD DL, and I like the Cummins over the Cat 330 for power and mileage - plus no diesel exhaust smell with the DEF.

Recommend negotiating for full engine/transmission/chassis/genset service as part of the deal if you decide to buy (unless the dealer has verifiable records of recent service) and check dates on tires. AGM batteries may bear checking also.

Good luck!
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for info! I was wondering what the timeline was on the Powergear / Schwintek slide system. Do you know when the change over was on production units?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #4

Thinking they started putting the Powergear system in the slides late 15 early 16 models, but don't have a reference. Easy to see difference in any coach you might be looking at. Not a deal breaker if everything else looks great, but something to consider when negotiating price if it has the Scwhintek. Also not a big deal on the small bedroom slide...just the full wall slide. WBGO did not willingly pay to do ours, but I persisted (nicely) and they finally agreed to cover cost as "goodwill". Around $3k if I recall.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca