Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
JWmAustin

2016 Winnebago Ellipse 42HD--just about to purchase

Just looking at purchasing a new 2016 Ellipse 42HD and have some questions.

Does anyone know for certain if it has in floor tubing or wiring for heating? A dealer sales guy claims he saw that done at the factory.

Has anyone been following the AC issues that apparently are out there for Ellipse? Another dealer claims its an ongoing problem but the HD seems to be the only one where there is a odd AC sound that is really loud in the hallway, decreases in the bedroom and disappears in the kitchen.

Any other input before I finalize the purchase?
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes I believe that this unit has the Aqua Hot hot water/in floor heating system.

As to the A/C system sounds it seems to very from 1 coach to another for some reason. Our coach has the same a/c units and full duct system as this unit. I can set out side and not even hear them running unless I stop and listen closely. Yes I have some noise inside but not that great. To lessen the sound to where I don't hardly hear it during the day I run the rear a/c unit, and at night if I need it I run the front a/c unit.
I've not been in heat to the point where I needed to run both front a/c's at the same time so can't say about the noise there, but have run both front units on heat and not thought the noise was unrealistic for what it was.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thoughts and experiences:
- Check to see that the coach batteries are fairly new (a friend's 16 Ellipse has 2013 batteries - and lots of problems)
- Ensure A/Cs have the 'D' model compressor fans
- We had one entire A/C unit replaced but no other unusual noise issues
- Have the dealer contact Aqua-Hot and ensure the 4 pumps are latest model (and not part of recent run of bad pumps)
- Consider adding a window awning over the right forward passenger side window
- Ensure the rear bath window will open when the window awning is open and the strap is attached
Old 01-08-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
JWmAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Yes I believe that this unit has the Aqua Hot hot water/in floor heating system.

As to the A/C system sounds it seems to very from 1 coach to another for some reason. Our coach has the same a/c units and full duct system as this unit. I can set out side and not even hear them running unless I stop and listen closely. Yes I have some noise inside but not that great. To lessen the sound to where I don't hardly hear it during the day I run the rear a/c unit, and at night if I need it I run the front a/c unit.
I've not been in heat to the point where I needed to run both front a/c's at the same time so can't say about the noise there, but have run both front units on heat and not thought the noise was unrealistic for what it was.

Lindy - So then it appears Winnebago matches up against Entegra - both have heated floor. Do you know how extensive the plumbing to do that is - does it cover the driver space or the rear bath? Is there a separate control for the floor heat? Maybe we can get a diagram from W. Thanks for the ac input - practical info helps.
Bill & Jenny - 2016 Winnebago Itasca Ellipse 42HD, 43 ft, Cummins 8.9 ISL - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and (as ofen as possible) Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
JWmAustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Thoughts and experiences:

- Check to see that the coach batteries are fairly new (a friend's 16 Ellipse has 2013 batteries - and lots of problems)

- Ensure A/Cs have the 'D' model compressor fans

- We had one entire A/C unit replaced but no other unusual noise issues

- Have the dealer contact Aqua-Hot and ensure the 4 pumps are latest model (and not part of recent run of bad pumps)

- Consider adding a window awning over the right forward passenger side window

- Ensure the rear bath window will open when the window awning is open and the strap is attached

Luv- so the problems your friend sees are due to the batteries? The window awning you mention - that's the really large one right? Why add it?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bill, Sorry I don't know if the heated floors extend into the drivers cab area. If you're worried about heat when driving when it's cold the cab heater will more then take care of the cab area with the Aqua Hot covering every where else.
As to the batteries, there's know way a unit will have 3 year old batteries in it from the factory. The only way that'll happen is if the dealer did a slicky swap to satisfy a warranty claim for another customer. As to the window awnings, we don't have them on ours BUT before we leave full time this fall we'll be putting them on ALL our windows. IMO they make a big difference on the inside temp. Yes the units have the 2 shade MCD shades, but an outside awning is a BIG improvement.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Might want to read

I own a Winnebago and if I upgrade later it will most likely be another Winnie and this is only one persons experience, but.

Don't jump on the messenger.

Article came via this Saturday's RVtravel.com weekly news letter. Last couple weeks talking about build quality.

This artical is on the GD not the HD but it might give you things to look at.

Winnebago – No Sale of Special Ordered Coach – Lack of Build Quality | Outside Our Bubble
Old 01-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Bill
Yes - problems are related to batteries. While dry camping under minimal load they weren't lasting more than 5 hours. Found one of the six dead and unchargeable (removed it from the series), and a second initially not holding a charge (some improvement after long charging session out of the series). With five batteries in the series the duration didn't improve.

After many calls with WBGO and NAPA Batteries (local and national) best guess is batteries are shot.

Window awnings really help cut the heat gain when you don't want to use your large patio awning.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
I own a Winnebago and if I upgrade later it will most likely be another Winnie and this is only one persons experience, but.

Don't jump on the messenger.

Article came via this Saturday's RVtravel.com weekly news letter. Last couple weeks talking about build quality.

This artical is on the GD not the HD but it might give you things to look at.

Winnebago – No Sale of Special Ordered Coach – Lack of Build Quality | Outside Our Bubble
Man it makes you wonder who ended up with that coach!?!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
JWmAustin

The reason for pushing hard on the heated floor question is that some manufacturers are really outspoken and highlight that feature. If Winnebago has heated floors then they are being hurt by not listing that. Not listing it seems strange. Does anyone else have more info?

I wasn't worried about heat when driving as much as having cold floors around the driver/passenger seats while parked. If the engine heat is the only source for floor heat there then that will obviously be adequate. Having no basement under the front floor and rear bath seem like a potential for heating problems....?

I appreciate the awning comments....something I hadn't thought of. The other problems are ones to check out for sure and I will attempt to do so. The article that covers a large number of issues is helpful but it's clearly a few years old now so I'd appreciate any thoughts on general issues that apply to newer models.

Speaking for me and my wife, having researched this a lot, we will most likely go ahead with the Ellipse HD since it's the only floor plan of its kind and the general list of features that Winnebago has meets more of my needs than the others. Things as small as the cutouts for hoses impress me and big items like the lack of a side radiator while frustrating are not enough to convince me to go with others. I could run down my list of needs but I'm sure everyone's is different.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Bottom line being when considering which unit (make model etc) to by there's one main concern FLOOR PLAN FLOOR PLAN FLOOR PLAN. If the floor plan doesn't suit you or the DW then it doesn't who makes the unit you'll never be fully satisfied with the unit.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We absolutely love our 2015 42HD even with problems here and there. Most of which, if I'm being honest, have been OUR doing. No other floor plan like it and that's what caught our eye right away. It feels more like an apartment and not a bowling alley or bus. For us it is all about the floor plan, much like real estate is all about location, location, location. All the windows have awnings and it does indeed make a big difference in the heat of the day. The rear AC is a bit loud but when we are sleeping it just blocks out any other noise. Ours does not have heated floors because we didn't want them since our dogs wouldn't be comfortable with them. Haven't really found it to be a big problem. I wear slippers so don't feel it and we haven't been in frigid temps either. I hope you will enjoy your Tour 42HD as much as we have. It's a beautiful rig.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #13
JWmAustin

We went ahead with our purchase Sunday LOVE it. There have been the usual punch list items and a few of those are still needing helped. We hopefully will get to the factory for those. Like you there are some operator errors too lol. But overall it's just great. The floors can be a little cool but getting the aquahot adjusted, some rugs and slippers probably will cover the need.

I'm thinking I need a new thread for issue discussion?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations - safe travels!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations! As I said before we love ours. I'd certainly be open to a new thread so we can share ideas etc.
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #16
JWmAustin

Thanks for all the help and congrats. Here is the thread I started on issues/improvements:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/impr...ml#post3446346

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/impr...ml#post3446346
Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The Aqua Hot doesn't really provide "heated floors", it has heat registers in the storage compartments that keep those areas warm... that it turn keeps the floor warm
mport68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Relative to post #3 of this thread, How can you tell if you have or don't have one of the Aquahot components that was part of the "bad run"?
Thanks
tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Most of the pumps in the 'bad run' have a square flange on them - the good ones are round. If you have your service done a good tech will recognize them right away. Or you could post some pics and we can help differentiate.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Bill, Sorry I don't know if the heated floors extend into the drivers cab area. If you're worried about heat when driving when it's cold the cab heater will more then take care of the cab area with the Aqua Hot covering every where else.
As to the batteries, there's know way a unit will have 3 year old batteries in it from the factory. The only way that'll happen is if the dealer did a slicky swap to satisfy a warranty claim for another customer. As to the window awnings, we don't have them on ours BUT before we leave full time this fall we'll be putting them on ALL our windows. IMO they make a big difference on the inside temp. Yes the units have the 2 shade MCD shades, but an outside awning is a BIG improvement.

Does add weight, Dana. Big issue for me. I have thought of doing that but the A/C units can turn this coach into an icebox on a very hot day. About the noise inside. I am not that lucky. Ours sounds like the back seats in a 707. And the force of the air is harsh.

About the OP question for the floor heating. I think a call to the factory is in order for him. I checked the Resources and nothing is there in the Diagrams.

Tags
purchase, winnebago