Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

2018 Vista Pioneer touch screen not working, suitable replacement radio?

The touch screen on the in dash radio was working when be bought the Vista 29VE a couple of months ago, but it has stopped working or is very erratic. Also, the radio is no longer able to connect via Bluetooth and that was working when we bought it.

So I expect that the radio is on its way out and will need to be replaced.

Has anyone replaced their Pioneer radio, and if so what did you pick as a replacement and how big of a pain was it to replace the radio?

Thanks,
Burt
burt6274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #2

So I guess no one else had any issues with the Pioneer radio in their 2018 Vista 29?

But if you did, then there is another question.

Did you replace the radio yourself or take it to a dealer?

If you did it yourself how did you gain access to remove the old radio? I made a quick pass at it, but couldn't find the magic solution to removing the radio or the center console and didn't want to force anything to break it.

Thanks,
Burt
Old 12-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Normally, replacing a factory installed stereo system is usually pretty straightforward as long as the replacement is the same physical size. I don't have a Vista but most radio bezels are held in place with plastic clips that you can remove with a trim removal tool and a little "gentle persuasion".

I tried a quick internet search for specific instructions as I'm sure you probably have but came up empty. The only video I was able to find on YouTube was one where the coach's owner had the original system replaced by his local audio shop which would certainly be a viable option. You might also want to check out the Crutchfield website. Their customer service folks are really good and might be able to offer a suggestion as well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.......
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
You need what is called a "Double DIN" DVD car stereo. Crutchfield has real good telephone support that can help you decide which one. You can find their details online (google). It needs at least the following features if you don't want to lose any functions:

1. Composite Video and Audio Backup Camera Inputs, if you have backup and or side view cameras.

2. Can play DVDs

3. Composite Video and Stereo Audio Video Output when playing DVD

4. Bluetooth Hands Free Phone Interface with jack for external microphone

5. Built in Amp for 4 Speaker Ouput.

There's quite a range of units that cost between $ 150 and $ 500 depending upon how fancy you want to go.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #5

Thanks All,

Yes, I had seen the one Youtube video but as mentioned in that case the owner had taken the Vista to an audio store for the install.

I talked with Crutchfield, but they didn't have much to offer in my specific case.

I had picked up a 2 - Din radio that was promising, but once I got the box open I found that it's implementation for the backup camera was pretty limited, and the manual didn't even mention the backup camera. That radio also had an input for a front camera and a control in the UI to turn the front camera on and off. The rear camera had no corresponding UI control for the backup camera. The manufacturer was unresponsive.

I didn't find that the bezel would pop off using my removal tools, and the front section of the console with the radio, heat and A/C etc. had 3 screws at the bottom and the only other visible fasteners were the screws for the air deflectors. Removing those screws I still wasn't easily able to get the front console section to easily pop off so didn't want to force it.

In any case, for now, I've decided to live with the Pioneer until it fully dies then probably will take it to a shop to have a new radio installed. At this point it is more of an annoyance since I have a separate wireless backup camera that I installed that is working quite well.

Burt
Old 12-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My apologies, just seeing this thread.

I’ve got a 2015 Vista with a Pioneer Head unit that was also acting a little funky with the touch screen and satellite radio and I was looking to replace. Pioneer makes several models that should be plug and play, IF you can find them in stock, they have been hard to come by and Pioneers homepage cites the chip shortage as an issue.

In working on mine (I was checking the satellite tuner connections behind the stereo), I had to completely unplug the unit for about 30 min, this forced a “full reset” of the unit and it was operating fine after for the couple months before I winterized the coach for the year. May be worth a shot, see if that helps out?

On mine, you have to remove the full Winnebago console piece to get to the unit. On mine, it’s also “fun” to get that piece off. I’m going from memory but there were 2 screws on the bottom, and then 1 screw on each side by the vents. Once those were removed it’s a matter of “wiggling” the console off as there are some tabs that help keep in place. (wiggle side to side and then left up from bottom as there are tabs at top). The radio itself is the really easy to access. Putting back together is just a reverse but a pain to get stuff all realigned.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Tags
ace, radio, replace, replacement, scr