Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #1

Angry 2022 Headlights blink and stop working

Hi all-
I've got a 2022 Adventurer 29B on a 2021 F53 Chassis.
The headlights were Dim when I purchased new a couple of months ago.
H9 Halogens in Hella fixtures running at 11.2V under 65W load.
So I upgraded to LEDs. Great improvement. They only need 9V.
But now I've got Gremlins. The headlight low beams work with the engine off, but when I start the engine they flick off. If I put the brights on, they work sometimes, and the brights work sometimes, but eventually within 1-2 minutes all four lights stop working.

If I turn everything off and turn off the engine, the low beams will work again. Until I start the engine and turn the High Beams on and off a number of times.

This is my first help request, I've learned and solved lots of problems in this forum. This is an incredible group.

What I know:
The voltage without the engine running at the bulb is 12.9V
The voltage with the engine running at the bulb is 13.6V.

I installed the new LEDs about 1,000 miles ago. And I did a 5 hour night drive with no problems. I'm in California heading to Alaska and so I have a lot of driving planned. (~10k miles in the next 3 months) I have a long boring video of the lights in action if that helps. (assuming I could upload it)

Any ideas?
Thanks
Ocotillo Joe
O-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 09:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
l would check for a floating ground. It sounds like something is loose. There is also another thing to check and that is the starter key switch. Ford did have issues with them awhile back. Also check the fuse for the headlights, pull them out and actually replace them. They maybe opening up after they heat up. You can also try hooking disconnecting one headlight at a time then start the engine and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:45 PM   #3

You have a can bus system. You need to install the resistors that came with the bulbs. If they didn’t come with any you need to order some or another set of bulbs.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:59 PM   #4

Thanks SuperGewl for the ideas. I ended up swapping the LEDs back to Halogen. Problem seems to have gone away. I would have thought 5 hours of night driving would have proven the LEDs were compatible. Guess not.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:09 PM   #5

I think you nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
You have a can bus system. You need to install the resistors that came with the bulbs. If they didn’t come with any you need to order some or another set of bulbs.
Swapping back to halogens so far has apparently fixed it. We’ll see tomorrow. I’ll be doing 300 miles. I’ll run with the lights on.

I’ll order a resistor set and try the LEDs again.

I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dowdle View Post
Bobby-
I did finally got some resolution. I tried some Resistor packs, they didn’t work. Contacted the EBay seller of the packs. He recommended a version with capacitor and additional circuitry. Installed those and I’ve now got over 500 miles on these. Still working. The headlights are now amazing with the LED bulbs.
Can I post the Amazon link for bulbs and the EBay link for resistor/capacitor packs on this forum? I’m not affiliated with them. I’m just a very happy camper. I’ll report back if these give any trouble.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Joe View Post
Bobby-
I did finally got some resolution. I tried some Resistor packs, they didn’t work. Contacted the EBay seller of the packs. He recommended a version with capacitor and additional circuitry. Installed those and I’ve now got over 500 miles on these. Still working. The headlights are now amazing with the LED bulbs.
Can I post the Amazon link for bulbs and the EBay link for resistor/capacitor packs on this forum? I’m not affiliated with them. I’m just a very happy camper. I’ll report back if these give any trouble.
Post the links, it's done all the time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:33 AM   #8

The headlight bulbs are from Amazon. Very bright and fit well.
“Fahren Krieges H11/H9/H8 LED Headlight Bulbs, 120W 20000LM 600% Brighter LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof Halogen Bulb Replacement Plug and Play”

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JF...b_b_asin_title

The key component is the EBay Resistor/Capacitor module that keeps the F53 electronics happy, and avoids the flicker/shutdown issues. “H11 H9 H8 LED Headlight Bulb Anti Flicker Resistor Error Free Capacitor Canbus”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322326559854

I tried with no module and with a cheaper version before I found this one. Those worked a little while then shut off. This one has been rock solid for over 1k miles and lots of trips.

Tags
headlight, headlights, light, lights