Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #29

We did buy the 29VE DW likes the floor plan dinette over looks the patio. Got off to a rocky start with a rather large issue and getting the work done right. Think we have it taken care of finally. I did have the safe t plus put on it after it was loaded and tires balanced handles great now. Don't know if rear sway bar is needed. I know people think to much storage space is taken up by outdoor kitchen but that is one of the things I like about this coach. So I pack a little less and take just the important stuff. My 26HE had lots of storage and I did have a rear sway and safe t plus and tires balanced loved that coach but just a little small for our needs. Anyway think I will like this one as much just get the small stuff fixed.
RonnTerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Our last TT had an outdoor kitchen, and we loved it. The outdoor kitchen was the biggest reason why we chose the 29VE.
We went to the Chicago RV show in 2016 and looked REALLY hard at the Thor 29.4 for the same reason. In fact, we were pretty sure we were going to go with that model for about a year - and then I just checked on other MHs with outdoor kitchens, and loved the finishes on the Winnebago. The quality just seemed so much better.
Will keep you posted about our mods after our visit with the service department next week.
Sal3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #31

I did use the same tow out fit that I used on my 26HE so didn't have to buy again. I have the SMI brake box system I really liked it as the box fit right in the engine area of my 2 door jeep wrangler. I connect the Sterling tow bar from the motorhome to the jeep. I had my mechanic wire all of the lights so all I do is just turn on the switch mounted in the jeep and the brake adjustment is right inside the jeep to. I connect the tow bar, power cord, break away cord, and the charging wire to the jeep and break away cables and done! The only thing is if I ever get rid of my jeep I would have to either have it taken out or buy new again.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Wes

Hi all,
We had the Safe T Plus added and I am planning to add the rear sway bar. We did not have it aligned. Should this be done before the sway bar addition? We purchased this rv through Camping World. The staff there works hard but the people I have talked with don't seem to have the skills needed to address needs so have either given me the wrong information, fixed the wrong thing or spent lots of extra time on what should have been a simple task.

My husband has some medical issues so I am the driver. Actually, I am the one who came home and suggested we buy a motorhome. Usually when we travel, it is long distance (NYS to California this summer) so I would like to do whatever I can to make driving smoother. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes
Wes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
For me anyway, the alignment was the most dramatic improvement. I set the tire pressure to 82 all around, did the chf and have just recently added a Safe-T-Plus. Even though those have added improvement they have been minor compared to the alignment. I have not taken a trip since adding the safe-t-plus, but I can tell from the driving I did to do the centering procedure, it will be a good improvement.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Appt for mods...

After a beautiful weekend of camping, our 29VE is heading in for a trucenter steering assist and rear sway bar. Getting ready for our next trip on July 6th to St. Louis. It will be the longest drive since we drove home from Chicago last month.
Sal3401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post
We have a Vista 29VE also and just love it. We have driven it a little at night and I don't remember any problems. I will pay attention next time and report back.

We have put a good 4-5K miles on the MH so far. I'm surprised that the only 110v receptacles that work on the inverter are the TV's and the ones inside the bedroom cubbyholes. I would be nice to have one in the galley too.

The only mods I've made are the addition of a TPMS, a LED light strip over the bathroom sink and a nice fabric shower curtain across the "passage way" at the thermostat area. This gives a little more privacy for the grandkids when someone gets up to use the restroom.

I will have a Safe-T-Steer unit installed at the their factory on June 5th. I only live a couple of hours away and they will install it for free. After that I will see if I need to do the CHF.

The outdoor kitchen sold me on this model as I had one on our travel trailer. I just love cooking outdoors and it is so convenient.

The next big item on my list is to rig my 2 door Jeep Rubicon as a Toad. I'm researching tow bars and braking systems. So far, the Ready Brute Elite is my favorite as it is all in one and simple (after running the cables).

Smooth sailing....

Patrick
I've been drooling over the 29VE for a while. Salesman told me the 1000W inverter was throughout the rig. Guess I'll have to take a test light if we ever upgrade from our 2006 Sunova
tyaughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:37 PM   #36

We got back a few days ago from a 4,000 mile trip around the western part of the country. I don't have any steering mods and really didn't have any white knuckle driving until we got on some wide open narrow 2 lane roads with a 35MPH gusting cross wind. It was a little interesting but I wouldn't say it was unsafe. We were pulling a 3,000 pound toad so maybe that helps to keep the rear end from moving around a lot. The handling is much better on this one stock vs. the 26HE I had and I did do the CHF on it. It did help. Not sure I want to mess with this one since not much is going to help if it's super windy with gusts except for pulling over. The wind hasn't stopped blowing here since spring.

On I-40 near Gallup, we were driving into a pretty strong head wind doing about 60. All of a sudden I could hear some loud slapping and thought something came loose on the roof. We slowed down and took the next exit and found the 2" vertical plastic trim on the passenger side up front which separates/finishes the joint between the front of the coach and the side wall came loose. It was cracked and just hanging on. I was able to pull it off the rest of the way since it's just a snap fit. The drivers side looks OK so I don't know what caused this one to peel off. Have to take a good look at it when I replace it and maybe run a thin bead of clear sealant up the leading edge.

Other than that the rig ran well. My only complaint is the A/C unit struggles when it's 95 + out and no shade. Anyone else experience this? Oh, one other issue. It seems like the slide topper vibrates and generates noise. I can hear it up front on rough roads which are unfortunately about 60% of the roads around here and many of the roads we drove on during our trip. My wife says it sounds like it's coming from the roof above the microwave area. When we stopped for the night, I got out my windshield squeegee stick and poked around the slide topper canvas roll right were the center support is and she says the noise is similar to what she hears inside. Next time I will wedge a rag in the center support to take some of the play out of it as mine has about 3/16" space between the center top roller and the canvas. That's where I pushed up with the stick. I also think the heavy winds were causing it to resonate a little because I could hear what sounds like wind buffeting inside.

Seems like the F53 chassis transmits every tiny road imperfection into the coach. My 26HE was the same. I tried 80, 82 PSI in the tires and it seems 82 is the better. Hard to tell.

I also wish they would have put a inverter powered receptacle in the galley. We use a small 600W coffee maker in the morning and have to put it on the table and plug it into the receptacle in the overhead cabinet next to the big TV. I was thinking of rewiring one in the galley as there is inverter power in the slide now that feeds the rear TV.

There are inverter powered receptacles at the passenger location, the tailgate package and you can plug right into the inverter directly outside. They are kind of spread around the coach except for the galley and wash room. The online Winnebago wiring diagrams show the receptacles powered by the inverter.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:24 AM   #37

GaryP47.....I too experience the A.C. struggling but for me it is when the temps get close to 90 degrees. Then the inside them is only about 80. I am checking to see if a second A.C. Can be added in the area of the vent by the stove. Did you have any plans to do anything? Anyone else?
rider1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary, glad you had a good trip.
Is it normal to have those high winds on I40? We plan to head east from California this summer on it.

I, too, am interested in the options for a second ac. We are headed west this summer and know we will be experiencing high temps.
Wes
Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Is it normal to have those high winds on I40? We plan to head east from California this summer on it.

I, too, am interested in the options for a second ac. We are headed west this summer and know we will be experiencing high temps.
Wes
Old 06-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #40

Gary47 Our 29VE also seems to have that banging noise around the microwave. Have been trying to figure out if it is outside behind the door to the fridge area on drivers side. Think I will get the ladder out and open it check to see if all is tight. But you could be right might be the awning.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1520 View Post
GaryP47.....I too experience the A.C. struggling but for me it is when the temps get close to 90 degrees. Then the inside them is only about 80. I am checking to see if a second A.C. Can be added in the area of the vent by the stove. Did you have any plans to do anything? Anyone else?
I haven't thought about making any changes. With a 30A service, it's limited to what additional electrical loads it can take. Unless you run a second say extension cord from a campsite 120V receptacle right to a supplemental A/C unit.

I think it was the second night of out trip and we were at Sand Hollow State Park near Hurricane, Utah and it was extremely hot and there's no shade there. I decided to close the slide and that helped to keep it a bit cooler. Once the sun goes down, the A/C works OK. It was the same with my 26HE.

You probably know this but just in case, you can open the two bypass vents in the ceiling unit and that will shoot the cool air right into the dinette area. We did that a couple times on the trip.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes2 View Post

Wes
Normally it is windy here at this time of year but this year it's bad. We are having a record high heat wave now which is generating these windy conditions throughout much of the state and also making it difficult to contain a wildfire we have going on here just southeast of where we live. I store my RV much closer to the fire area and the storage outfit called yesterday and suggested that we may want to get it out of there so I did.

We were caught in some high winds on I-40 going eastbound near the California border a few years ago at a later time in the year and they actually shut down I-40 due to blowing dust/sand and routed us around the area so anything's possible at any time I guess. That was in the 26HE.