Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #1

having a time of it finding anyone who has positive experience/results in modifying performance on the 8.1 vortec. Last trip out not pleased with the lack of hill climbing ability experienced in the southwest desert heat. Is that all there is? or can the 8.1 be tweeked a bit?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #2

having a time of it finding anyone who has positive experience/results in modifying performance on the 8.1 vortec. Last trip out not pleased with the lack of hill climbing ability experienced in the southwest desert heat. Is that all there is? or can the 8.1 be tweeked a bit?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I had an '03 Suncruiser 33V. I've hauled it up and down some serious mountain passes at altitudes you won't find in the southwest. I never had a problem with overheating nor with the brakes - and I've gone down some steep stuff with it.

As to horsepower - you can always use more. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of headroom in this setup to do it.

First of all, there's the Allison 1000 tranny. It's pretty much limited by how much torque and power it is rated for and the 8.1 Vortec is right there so any extra power may well void and tranny warranty by over stressing it.

Secondly, the engine undoubtedly has potential to crank out more power but it would require more engineering at the factory level to do so seeing as how everything is pretty tightly controlled by electronics nowadays. There are steps you can take to optimize ANY engine. They generally consist of opening up the airflow on the intake and exhaust systems. Banks Engineering makes kits for many engines to improve power and driveability of them. However, the 8.1 in the W series chassis isn't seriously lacking in these areas. You can gain some improvements with these kits but you have to wonder about the cost effectiveness of them. And again, you also have to consider what happens when you exceed the power rating of your tranny.

I solved my problem by going to a DP. That's a major problem solver but it isn't exactly what you'd call an inexpensive fix.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We're running on the I-70 right now and we're making our way down the I44 to I40 and through Texas, New Mexico and Arizona via the I17 down to I10. So far we've seen temperatures of 100+ degrees indicated on our compass/thermometer, cool runnings!

I don't not foresee any problems with our W22.

It looks like we'll be coming back East from Logan, UT by way of I80 through Wyoming. Has anyone run Route 30 out of Utah through Lincoln County in Wyoming out to the I80?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 PM   #5

Our 38' W22 walked away from a smaller (about 35') V-10 MH who wanted to make a race of it on a long hill in Idaho a couple of years ago. (3 lanes uphill and light traffic) I had to back off following a friends 350 ISC DP on hills in PA. Plenty of pull fer me...

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #6

maybe it was just this last trip the 8.1 wanted to act sluggish. have been pretty happy with power for the 11000 miles previous to last trip.
may have been the engine fans coming on very frequently got on my nerves. will just have to start saving pennies for a dp. LOTS OF PENNIES.
thanks again mark for your thorough reply.