Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Vintage Rigs - Retro is cool!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

89 Winnebago Chieftain

My manual indicates that I should use the auxilary battery switch to disconnect the aux batteries during prolonged storage ...
This means that if it is parked at home (for a week or two) and plugged into house current I should continue to keep this switch (and the batts) connected, because this is not considered "prolonged storage"

Am I interpreting this accurately?

Also, when I turn on the ignition switch now, I hear a clicking/buzzing noise in the rear of the coach, although the engine will start right up and the noise disappears. Anyone know what this might be? It is not the water pump, but the noise is similar, only louder....

Thanks,

1989 Winnebago
Boss Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

My manual indicates that I should use the auxilary battery switch to disconnect the aux batteries during prolonged storage ...
This means that if it is parked at home (for a week or two) and plugged into house current I should continue to keep this switch (and the batts) connected, because this is not considered "prolonged storage"

Am I interpreting this accurately?

Also, when I turn on the ignition switch now, I hear a clicking/buzzing noise in the rear of the coach, although the engine will start right up and the noise disappears. Anyone know what this might be? It is not the water pump, but the noise is similar, only louder....

Thanks,

1989 Winnebago
Old 03-15-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Boss, your coach (house) batteries will get charged by your built-in 120vac to 12vdc converter, IF your auxiliary battery switch is turned on and you're plugged into 120vac shore power. So, if you turn the Aux. Batt. switch off, it disconnects the batteries; they won't get a charge but your coach converter will still make 12vdc for any coach 12 volt lights, etc.
Keep in mind that your OEM coach converter is not one of the new generation "smart" chargers that prevent overcharging and sulphation. Therefore it can cook the water out of your batteries if you're plugged into shore power (and your Aux Batt switch is "on") for long periods of time (I'd say longer than 2 weeks). Keep your eyes on the battery cell water level, that's all. There's lots more info in these forums; try doing a search for "smart charger" or "battery minder".

As for your clicking/buzzing sound at the rear of the coach, I think you'll need help from another person who can turn on the ignition while you're at the back tracing down the source of the buzz. Is your Chieftan a diesel?
Old 03-15-2006, 02:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, I failed to mention the engine ....duh...
It is the chevy 454 gas guzzler.....
The two coach batteries (if I remember correctly) are marine batteries....
Boy, this manual has a lot of do's and don'ts when starting the engine or the genset...
The genset is the 6.5 Onan....gasoline powered...

1989 Winnebago
Old 03-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">when I turn on the ignition switch now, I hear a clicking/buzzing noise in the rear of the coach </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your description of "clicking" confuses me, but if there's a "buzzing" or sound similar to a pump, this may be your Jet Air air bag pump building up pressure. My '88 SuperChief (loved that coach) would leak down after about three or four days... Air would stay up in both of the rear air bags, but the compressor/tank combo under the rear bedroom would slowly lose pressure over time. Coulda used a soapy water spray to trace down the leak, but never got a round tuit.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Your '89 Winne will not have the parasitic loads on the starting battery that the new coaches do. You starting battery should stay up for months.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I didn't know Winne used JetAir back in 1988.

I had a rear JetAir suspension on my '94 Vectra on a Ford chassis and, in my opinion, the gas coaches with JetAir were the best riding gas coaches ever made.

JetAir told me to switch the system to manual when parking and the system would not leak down. But I mostly dumped my air and used the jacks to level the coach up when parked.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Clicking noise!

Or a pump sound maybe from your electric Fuel pump in or close to the fuel tank.
My 1990 Elandan is doing the same thing.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

A friend had an 89 Chieftin with Jet Air. I agree it was a great riding suspension. The compressor was in the back and came on if the air had leaked down. Look under the back between the frame rails for a small air tank and compressor.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks folks......
I bet it is the compressor too.........
Also it is taking me some time to become familiar with the electrical switches on the dash...
I must keep the Dual/Neutral/MOM swithed to neutral when starting the engine, then I must always keep in in Dual position while driving...

Also I must place the battery mode switch in neutral before starting either the genset or the engine....

And I must NEVER leave the Battery Mode Switch in Dual position while parked...

Well, this is what the manual says to do...

What a Trip.....

1989 Winnebago
Old 07-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Superchief house batteries charging

do the house (auxillary) batteries charge when driving the motorhome? P30 454. If so, what switch settings are required on the dash for charging to happen? Aux batteries on? dual battery on? Both?
my1972ih is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago