Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
pga

94 adventurer steering loose

I recently bought a '94 34' winnie. Mechanic said I needed to replace idler arm. Since I sensed wandering while driving; I ok'd replacement. It still seems loose. Unit has 50k on it and I see it has a steering stablizer on it. Does anyone think replacing this will help...a little; a lot?
pga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #2

So you had it replaced (past tense) and it still seems loose?

Hi,

Wasn't quite sure how to read your msg. A bad idler arm can cause loose steering. If it is still loose after you replace it then let them know and see if they have any other ideas. My 1994 Winnebago Brave has front air bags. If they are low on air then the steering feels loose to me and I have to inflate them back up. For instance at 50 lbs per bag my steering feels loose. at 65 lbs it does not. I'm going to try 70 lbs today to see what that feels like because I can't remember if I ran them at 65 or 70 last year. To see if yours has front spring airbags look underneath and you will see them inside the front springs. Mine held their air fine while I was using it in the summer but over the winter lost some air.

They should be able to tell you if your steering stabilizer is leaking. Ours was so we replaced it. I don't think it would make the steering feel loose though. The only place I could find the replacement was Camping World so I bought it there and had the mechanics bolt it on. If your handy with tools it should be an easy replacement.

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A very common wear item on the P30 chassis is the bell crank. If it isn't lubed it can wear out in 28,000 miles as mine did on my last motor home. The oringinal owner did not maintain it properly I discovered.

There is an after market bell crank available. It is pricy but should last as long as the motor home. See it HERE .

After I replaced it and some other front end items my 1996 Warrior drove great.

Tags
loose steering