Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My service manual states it is a 2-ton cooling unit; that equals 24,000 BTU.
I've never seen a larger basement Coleman-Mach unit.
Your model may just be a 2 ton. The newer ones ( you would buy today) and the one in my 09 Horizon are "2ton plus". Mine has (2) 13500btuh Tecumseh compressors.

That would explain why I can keep 74-75 degrees in a 40ft Gray 3 slide RV on 105* heat days. The only temp creep from setpoint I get is the 2* between 1st and 2nd stage, then once it's in 2nd stage it will stay there.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #16

I have been thinking of adding a rooftop ac to my bedroom and use the space in the breaker panel for the fireplace breaker. How can i know if i can mount one on the roof there?
Runowskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 PM   #17

Maybe there is something wrong with me however I never understood folks buying dark colored coaches with single pane windows when they intend to camp in places known for extreme levels of sun and heat. If your coach has a dark color scheme especially if its 40 feet or greater in length and single pane windows then a single basement air unit or even 2 rooftop units can be barely adequate. You've got the wrong coach for camping in that climate.

You also have to adjust your cooking and showering habits too when its over 100 degrees out. No leaving a slow cooking going all day or open pots boiling on the stove and short camp showers that aren't steaming or your raise humidity to such extreme levels that you'll need it several degrees cooler to feel comfortable than if the indoor humidity levels had been kept more reasonable. Then there is the need for external sunshades, insulated roof vent inserts/pillows and awnings for all the windows.

On a 50 amp coach you should be able to add and run an additional air conditioner if you put it on a different circuit than the Basement Air unit however before raising the center of gravity of the coach by adding a rooftop I would put a roll about (yes they do come in 12,000 btu and possibly higher) or even a split system with the compressor mounted in the basement. Definitely would not want to give up the main salons roof vent and have an AC unit droning away over my head either despite that fact that a Winnebago Class A SuperStructure roof is able to support an AC unit without additional bracing being installed. For proof of concept on how strong the SuperStructure roof is they suspended the coach upside down from a crane and dropped it on its roof.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:05 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Laid it on it's roof, or dropped it? How high?Big difference.

Winnie, in my opinion, builds a very good product, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

It's a good roof, but come on, it's a roof built to a standard. Works for me, but it can be exceeded, and then what is the answer?

Bullet proof is great, but that is relative to the bullets being fired.
JPO1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Very few coaches out there with double pane windows. Also a light colored DP is few and far between. We buy what's available when we are looking. Unless you are independently wealthy Newell coaches are out of the reach for most of us. So we adapt and modify what we end up with. I've been in Fairbanks Alaska in June when the temps hit the mid 90s. Washington and Oregon (known for mild summers) just had a heat wave with temps in the 100s. So if you have an undersized basement unit like many of us have adding a roof top AC is a viable modification. They weigh about 100 lbs. That really won't affect the DPs center of gravity. Also the roof can support it as built. You do have to consider height. There are a few low to mid profile ACs out there. I bought a Furrion 15.5K. It's slightly less than 14" tall. My satellite dish is a little over 15" tall. So I am not making my coach any taller. Portable ACs are an option but for me running a exhaust vent out a window and the unit taking up floor space was not acceptable for me.

with Beamer and Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPO1980 View Post
Laid it on it's roof, or dropped it? How high?Big difference.

Winnie, in my opinion, builds a very good product, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

It's a good roof, but come on, it's a roof built to a standard. Works for me, but it can be exceeded, and then what is the answer?

Bullet proof is great, but that is relative to the bullets being fired.

Dropped on it but not from a very great distance however the drop was measured in feet not fractions of an inch. It was when they first introduced the current method of roof and sidewall construction.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #21

We have a 35' 2003 Adventurer with basement air. I like the basement air. We have been through South Dakota, Wyoming, Florida in the summer, no complaints. We just spent a week in Oh., temps around 90 and very humid. AC kept temps at 74, set temp. Had the door open most of the time we were at the MH. Now it is light colors, thermal pane windows, only 35' long and just 2 slide outs. So maybe not sufficient for bigger rigs but works great for us.

I did seal up the ducts behind the rear end cap and replaced start caps. Second compressor wouldn't run.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
So the new Furrion 15.5K roof AC is installed. Running on it's own dedicated 20 amp breaker. Within an hour of turning it on the inside temp dropped 5 degrees from 80 to 75 with it 100 degrees outside. The real test will be when it starts hitting 110 degrees outside. It'll be a few days before that happens. Got rain storms for the next 3 or 4 days here in Tucson. The roof looks a little funny with one AC up there. Folks who don't know about the basement AC will think either that's one heck of a good AC or I'm cooking inside.

with Beamer and Rusty
Old Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkley2 View Post
I did this on my Vectra 40 a few months ago. My installer told me the factory bracing was sufficient for the additional AC. I am very pleased with the install except one thing. In my coach the vent was directly above the over sink cabinet, and there is a wall with a slider in it that separates the bathroom from the galley and living room. The header that covers the track for the slider door blocks the rearward facing vent on the new AC so it doesn't blow into the bedroom and bathroom. This wouldn't be a problem if the Ac were simply a supplement to the basement air, however my thermostat for the basement air is on the side of the cabinet directly below the new AC, so the basement air shuts off and the bedroom gets pretty warm. The other not so great thing about the roof air is, my installer told me my diesel generator does not have sufficient capacity to run both the basement air and the roof air, so there is an additional outlet in my basement in the power compartment that I plug the roof air into a 110 v outlet on the shore power pedestal at the park. I plan to have an electrician verify this need for me soon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Other than these two items, I love the additional cooling and the rooftop air cools my rig way beyond the ability of the basement air in 100+ degree Texas heat.
What size generator do you have? Mine is an Onan 7500 quiet diesel That's 62 Amps When I run both compressors on my basement AC I'm up around 27 amps after startup. It does jump up a bit on startup, like into the 40's. So barring having any other High current items on, Water heater, microwave you should have enough as a typical roof mount draws about 14.

You would be best to start them one at a time and let the capacitors level out. On 30 amp, I need to shut one compressor off, start the ac, wait about 3-4 minutes and start the second one.

You also might consider putting a soft start on the roof air. I'm still trying to find out if I can put them on my basement air as I spend the entire winter in Mexico on 30 amp and pretty much can only run one AC. Soft start would eliminate popping the 30 amp breaker on startup.

I would go ahead and try and start the third one. Give a little time for each to come up to full capacity. About the worst thing that can happen is you trip the breaker on the generator.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grape View Post
Very few coaches out there with double pane windows. Also a light colored DP is few and far between. We buy what's available when we are looking. Unless you are independently wealthy Newell coaches are out of the reach for most of us. So we adapt and modify what we end up with. I've been in Fairbanks Alaska in June when the temps hit the mid 90s. Washington and Oregon (known for mild summers) just had a heat wave with temps in the 100s. So if you have an undersized basement unit like many of us have adding a roof top AC is a viable modification. They weigh about 100 lbs. That really won't affect the DPs center of gravity. Also the roof can support it as built. You do have to consider height. There are a few low to mid profile ACs out there. I bought a Furrion 15.5K. It's slightly less than 14" tall. My satellite dish is a little over 15" tall. So I am not making my coach any taller. Portable ACs are an option but for me running a exhaust vent out a window and the unit taking up floor space was not acceptable for me.
Actually dual pane windows are quite common. They were an option on our 2001 Adventurer and standard equipment on our 2013 Adventurer. The only non dual pane windows are the windshield and the driver and passengers side cab windows. The older models had all dual pane windows except the windshield. There were some problems with fogging on the cab side windows limiting side visibility so they went to single panes in those places.

Tags
roof