Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding side camera

We have a 2003 Adventurer. I would feel safer if we do a few helpful mods over the summer.

I noticed our rear camera has an "input" switch, so I think it's ready for adding side cameras. I will look at the books this week to see if I'm right about that.

Assuming I'm right (a dangerous assumption, I know) how difficult is it to add the side cameras ourselves? Would anyone care to comment on the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Jo
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have heard (but have no experience) that the side cameras are virtually useless and it's better to use your mirrors.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I agree with using you mirrors. I have side cam's but ALWAYS rely on the mirrors and check them often. Save your money for fuel and exercise the neck.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Jo, mirrors are the first line of defense. Most cameras are mounted in the dash some place to the right of the driver. Generally kind of low down. This is great if your are 23 years old & have cat like reflexes, and the vision of a hawk. My 2006 34' damon has such a mounted camera. Bought an
two camera with 7" color monitor system on e-bay. Is this where I have to say I don't work for E-bay? Took my Damon, black and white camera and turned it down to see the hitch and front of the Jeep only. About all it was good for anyway. Mounted the monitor on the back side of the sun visor. Now I have a heads up display right in front of me and at eye level (almost) if I want it. Also mounted a switch in the dash to turn the cameras on or off. When not needed I just fold the sun visor up out of the way, as normal. Can switch from left to right camera with a button on the monitor. Also mounted a chrome spot light from Harbor Freight (don't work for them either) up by the old Damon camera. With a switch (next to the camera switch) to light up the area when driving or for evening cook outs. The biggest problem is running the wires in convoluted plastic tubing. Home Depot has it. You have to install the 2 camera wires, spot light feed and ground in the tube before running it along the frame rail with nylon ties. Will attach the exterior & switch pics later. Also installed an extra 12 volt accessory plugin when doing the ele work. Any detailed question PM me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Monitor.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	62229  
Rockysvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Rockysvet, that's useful information.

And for those who say to use the mirrors, DH does use them religiously. Our issue is that we pull my car on a 16' trailer. We had a flat on that trailer last time out that we didn't even know about until the wheel was ruined. No matter how hard we try, we can't see the trailer wheels at all unless we're turning. According to the road service guy, he saw the remains of the tire more than 5 miles from where we stopped. We heard and felt nothing and only knew something was wrong when a trucker passed us motioning to the rear of our rig. This trailer seems to track just a little too well! After that, we were a bit gunshy so I was trying to figure out a way he could check back there occasionally. We do check all tires at least every couple of hours, but that is obviously not enough.

The other option is TPMS for the entire rig + trailer. From what I can tell, I'm looking at about $600 to monitor all ten tires. After looking at the prices of side cameras, that might actually be the cheaper option.

Thanks for the help.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Yes the side cameras are really not useful save your money and get the tire monitors. Whe passing and lane changing use your mirrors and the backup camera.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Last coach had side cameras...didn't use them. New coach doesn't and I haven't missed them.

You may feel otherwise.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I find side cameras useless, especially the driver's side.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera