Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2022, 05:22 PM   #1

Adventure 8.1 Some what of an over heating problem

2002 Adventure with 8.1 has a tendency to run warm/hot
on a long grade pulling a Jeep Wrangler.
In older conversations WE came to the conclusion that the
Thermo Engine Fan was not engaging.

Took MH to the shop and said change water pump and associated
components....after 20 yrs. I thought a NEW pump and Thermo
engine fan. was in order.

The mechanic had a hard time to replacing the components even
with ALL the numbers I gave him off of Ohem's web site.

But he did NOT find or replace the ONE item I wanted replaced,
the engine clutch fan.
We are on the road in Abingdon, Va. In search of the CLUTCH
ENGINE FAN, if I have to order it that way. BUt would prefer
just the CLUTCH for easy shipping.

Thanks for any information....coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #2

Did you also do the basics? Spray the radiator with dirt remover and rinse? Flush the coolant and add all new?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #3

I have done most if not all the items to keep my cool.
Flushed the rad. from back to front, changed the GM
coolant ever 2/3 yrs. New twin A/C fans. Maintained
the rubber around the radiator.

In 20 yrs. I can say I have only heard the clutch fan
half dozen fans. Like I heard the fan on my 454.

So if I can get a fan before I leave the area I will
have it changed.....coopcolt
Old 05-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

I have the same problem with my Cat 330 HP pusher. What I do in order to keep traveling, is to downshift as the temp climbs. There have been some very long steep climbs where I've had to pull over and use the cruise control to keep it rev'ing at 1300-1500 RPM. After 4-5 minutes it's back down in the normal range. But normally, just downshifting works great. My dash gauge though...it's not the least bit helpful. Doesn't show a Red danger zone until the very last section of the gauge...and it's only a needles width. My darn overheating idiot light comes on way before that.

My point is that the work around is just downshifting after you've done the normal maintenance. So you can keep traveling. As far as actual causes, I'm no expert and I'd take it to one of them (if I could find one) and see what they think.

But in your follow up post, I don't see that you mentioned actually cleaning the rad. I see you flushed it, but it might need something like Simple Green - Purple wash to really get it clean. That always helps my situation. Just the dust and road dirt that gets on the rad is amazing, and how much gets flushed out when I clean it is surprising as I rarely travel in poor weather or on dirt roads. Also, I have very little oil ending up on my rad which is common with most pushers with a rear rad...but I don't think you need worry about that with a puller.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #5

I walked into local a/p store.. pick one up for Chevy truck.. ck2500/3500 same thing.. works great.. I had to order 1.5 inch bigger fan from DERALE. Com for truck.. so much better.. so try a truck for 2002 Chevy ck3500 with 8.1.. they will take it back if you don't want it.. I also run 160 degrees thermostat.. for many they cry it's too low.. but it my rig.. I like to experiment.. no problem for me.. and that worked great for me.. I also added extra eng oil cooler and trans cooler.. but if I run into cold sir.. I never do.. I am sunny day camper.. I can use cardboard..
Now mine is 454.. so you will have to ask for special fan clutch removal tool.. they rent for free.... they should have clutch or get it for you...
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-29-2022, 09:58 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Fan Clutch

I replaced my fan clutch on my 07 8.1 made a world of difference and only had 14K miles on it but failed GM fan clutch test. New one works as designed you can hear it kick in on grades and temp comes rightb down
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I suggest calling Jon Brazel ultraRVproducts.com at 800-417-4559.
I see that they are out of stock for nearly all fan clutches. Jon will know exactly what fan clutch you need based on your VIN number and where else you may be able to buy one.

I have 121,000 miles on my coach and the original fan clutch. It will engage mildly on hot days and small grades. On long or steep grades it will fully engage and roar loudly but at the top of the summits it quickly backs off. My engine temp tops at about 215-220 degrees.

Until you get this fixed and your engine is starting to get too hot:
You will get a noticeable drop in temp if you turn on your dash heater and coach heater to high and then roll down the windows so you don't get cooked. I've done this in high mountain passes when it pretty cool outside.
Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:51 PM   #8

Thanks all for the reply's. I have found both of the clutches that are listed
on Oemy's web site. Both are listed on Amazon. The AC-Delco priced at
$113. And the GM 15712914 is listed for $226. I can hopeful get the cheap
one delivered Thanks for all the help.....coopcolt
Old 06-08-2022, 10:28 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing you might consider is to remove the a/c heat exchanger from the radiator and giving a good cleaning. After many attempts at trying to solve the high temperature problem in my 2000 Workhorse 454, my mechanic decided to replace the radiator. When he removed the a/c heat exchanger he found a ton of dir, leaves, and other debris between the two. Not surprising it wasn’t cooling properly. Since it was already taken apart, I had the mechanic replace the main radiator anyway. It was expensive, but haven’t had any cooling problems since and the a;c works much better also. Looking forward to another 200,000 miles. Lol.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, problem, vent