Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, after the excitement of a starting battery exploding at 0300 in the morning, we had another adventure. Freightliner Portland replaced both starting batteries and we were on our way. About 5 hours into the next leg of the trip, a check engine light came on, and would not go off. I had a check engine light come on intermittenly during the last 4 months. I would shut down and check everything, and all was always normal.

It happended on a Friday late afternoon on Labor Day weekend, so on the following Tuesday we stopped into a Freightliner dealer in northern Oregon. A check with a diagnostic engine reader provided an active fault. The diagnosis was "Recirculated Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circut- Voltage Above Normal, or Shorted to High Source".

The determination was that the sensor itself was bad and needed replaced. If the fault had occurred, the code reader would have recorded the incident, and the reader would have cleared the fault.

I did get stuck at the dealership while the replacement sensor came from Portland Freightliner

After it arrived, 15 minutes the sensor was installed, the engine cover put back on and we were down the road again. Hopefully our string of luck has changed, and we are enjoying life again. While the incidents were disapointing, I figured they are all in the RV experiance. Since we plan on fulltiming in 2 years, I figure we may as well get practice handling the unexpected. We managed to entertain ourselves while we waited, and even acomplished some chores (laundry).

All in all, life is good, and we are looking forward to hitting the road full time.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, after the excitement of a starting battery exploding at 0300 in the morning, we had another adventure. Freightliner Portland replaced both starting batteries and we were on our way. About 5 hours into the next leg of the trip, a check engine light came on, and would not go off. I had a check engine light come on intermittenly during the last 4 months. I would shut down and check everything, and all was always normal.

It happended on a Friday late afternoon on Labor Day weekend, so on the following Tuesday we stopped into a Freightliner dealer in northern Oregon. A check with a diagnostic engine reader provided an active fault. The diagnosis was "Recirculated Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circut- Voltage Above Normal, or Shorted to High Source".

The determination was that the sensor itself was bad and needed replaced. If the fault had occurred, the code reader would have recorded the incident, and the reader would have cleared the fault.

I did get stuck at the dealership while the replacement sensor came from Portland Freightliner

After it arrived, 15 minutes the sensor was installed, the engine cover put back on and we were down the road again. Hopefully our string of luck has changed, and we are enjoying life again. While the incidents were disapointing, I figured they are all in the RV experiance. Since we plan on fulltiming in 2 years, I figure we may as well get practice handling the unexpected. We managed to entertain ourselves while we waited, and even acomplished some chores (laundry).

All in all, life is good, and we are looking forward to hitting the road full time.

Sarge
Old 09-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #3

My wife had a battery explode in her car three or four years ago when she went to start it. I got to clean up the mess and wow what a mess - I must have used five pounds of baking soda to neutralize the acid that went everywhere in the engine compartment.

We have had several planned and unplanned service experiences while fulltiming and we have found it to not be a big deal if you have the right attitude. I believe that since we are waiting on the coach, we get dealt with much more promptly than if we would drop off the coach and disappear like many do at service time. Plus we are there to talk to the tech or in many cases watch the work being performed.

Of course being retired means that we can be more laid back than an employed person so that helps to cultivate a good attitude.

We have not had to deal with a total breakdown situation as yet, and I hope we can avoid that.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You are right about attitude John. While we were waiting for the sensor to arrive I went into the service/parts area to brouse around. A couple was at the counter talking to the service writer that had helped me, a nice young girl. It appeared that they were waiting for a part that was being shipped from New Mexico, and it was the Labor Day weekend. The wife was losing her mind because the part wasn't there yet, and this was the morning after the holiday.

The husband was just standing there hanging his head. The service girl was trying to be polite, but there was nothing she could do about it.

We all can be flusterated at times, but it's important to remember that the counter person we are talking to most likely has little or no control over many situations.

And being retired and not on a schedule would certianly help a lot. I think waiting for the work to be done also is a great idea if you can. It really does help to get you out quicker if possible.