Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 10:51 AM   #29

Think there is no option for a second AC because we are dangerously close to max weight of 18000# with the 31BE.

There is about 1900lb capacity in CCC. I weigh 210, my Beautiful wife weighs 135. Add in 560lb for water. A few chairs, clothes, toys, fill the fridge etc and I imagine I’m usually overweight.

The second air will weigh another 80lb. In the back of the coach where the axle is almost maxed out already. That’s why it is not an option.

They should have used the longer 20.5k F53 for the 31BE.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #30

Two people have already mentioned the divider in the A/C unit that separates the incoming hot air side from the outgoing cold air side. This is very important. I had to fix the one in my 31KE.

I also blocked the wall penetration for the stove vent hood as air was freely moving through that. I used the ceiling vent instead when cooking.

One other major heat gain I found was from the cabinets over the driving compartment (in front of the overhead bunk). Extremely minimal sprayed on insulation there from the factory. I spent an afternoon in Wall South Dakota pulling those cabinets apart enough to get some batts of insulation behind and above them.

In the end, with all the insulating tips mentioned in this thread, I could keep my 31' Vista cool to whatever temperature I wanted using the single AC unit. This includes 90+ degree days in Florida and Arizona.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
And don't forget about the old school option like folks a couple of generations back (from me) used to do - get a fan. It makes a big difference in comfort to just have a fan moving the air around inside, especially directly in the area that you're in.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
You should call Winnebago and ask them to email you a copy of the roof drawings for your coach that will show the existing cabling and vent ducts in the ceiling so you have a better idea of what might be feasible and how you might get cabling to a new roof unit. It might not be as simple as you hoped and whoever is assisting you, might not have knowledge of what is already in the roof. Good luck,
Why bother? Just click the link at the top of the Winnebago forum, then drill down to your wiring schematics.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ray
All the coach info has been removed from the Winnebago Industries web site from what I can see including parts catalogs, plumbing and electrical info. I have all mine downloaded so have no issues. The roof drawings were not included on the previous website. The showed much more detail on the info you need to install a roof AC. The wiring schematics are just that - schematics and have detail no detail on roof ducting although some items are obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Why bother? Just click the link at the top of the Winnebago forum, then drill down to your wiring schematics.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Ray
All the coach info has been removed from the Winnebago Industries web site from what I can see including parts catalogs, plumbing and electrical info. I have all mine downloaded so have no issues. The roof drawings were not included on the previous website. The showed much more detail on the info you need to install a roof AC. The wiring schematics are just that - schematics and have detail no detail on roof ducting although some items are obvious.
What is this then?http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ogs-19250.html
I said Winnebago forum not website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #35

I think I know what Im going to do. I got the final quote to add the ac and convert everything to 50. That seems like the best route. I know I can only run one ac of my generator but I like the idea of having everything clean and into one plug. Also they can route the new ac into the mid coach vents so its win win!

While i know people do it. The guys I had come out to give quotes wont even offer to install another ac into the 30 amps(with or without the soft starts) .
Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superrv View Post
I think I know what Im going to do. I got the final quote to add the ac and convert everything to 50. That seems like the best route. I know I can only run one ac of my generator but I like the idea of having everything clean and into one plug. Also they can route the new ac into the mid coach vents so its win win!

While i know people do it. The guys I had come out to give quotes wont even offer to install another ac into the 30 amps(with or without the soft starts) .
Our first 5er was 30A service. It had 2 roof-top air conditioners, both 13,500 BTU. The 2nd unit was on a 3-way switch with the microwave, we could either run 1 AC unit + microwave-OR 2nd AC unit. The 5er came from the factory equipped and wired that way.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
Experience with Vista

We had a Vista 31ke. It only had one slide but got mighty hot in the sun. We installed Magneshades in the front windshield and two front side windows. Much better - enough to keep it cool in 95+ temps.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #38

Roof air conditioners use the same 14" X 14" roof opening used by most powered vents. I removed a powered vent and dropped in an additional Dometic air conditioner in our Travel Supreme. You can get an AC unit that has controls built into the air box that mounts inside the coach under the AC unit itself. Then, all you need is 120 volt service to the unit. I ran our wire through one of the existing air conditioner ducts. I brought it out in the aft closet where I could access our electrical panel and added a circuit breaker for it. Works great and it is not too difficult or too expensive.

Probably the most challenging part of the job is getting the air conditioner up onto the roof. Most tool rental facilities rent a 12' Genie material handling lift. It makes the task very easy.
asodergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #39

It might behoove you to get a second AC. Sometimes, the expense is worth it. Also, consider sun screens for your windows. I have a Big Country 4010RD. I added the sun screen in each window. It works fine.
lwljjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #40

KZ RV Club
secret to two A/C's on 30 amp is starting at different times. Start one & let it run a few minutes, then start the 2nd. 1 15,000 A/C draws 13amps running, start the second and you have 26 amps. As long as they do not cycle at the same time your good to go.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #41

I suggest a second AC.
lwljjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
secret to two A/C's on 30 amp is starting at different times. Start one & let it run a few minutes, then start the 2nd. 1 15,000 A/C draws 13amps running, start the second and you have 26 amps. As long as they do not cycle at the same time your good to go.
That's how ours works as well. An automatic start delay for the second unit is only a few seconds after the first unit starts, but its enough delay to drop unit 1 to running amps (as Edd505 described) so unit 2's starting amps spike does not exceed the max amps available when it starts. Also, even though ours is a 30 amp coach, we have a 5K gennie, so we don't have the issue of the amp spike when either A/C unit kicks in.

The front cap insulation definitely helps as well as solar screen material in the front showroom window; we keep the window blinds down as well.

Good luck.

Tags
air, air conditioner