Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air Problems

I've read the older posts on air problems.

Background: I purchased a 2011 Ellipse 42QD in February and I've driven it monthly to get used to it and check everything out. When I came back in last time I manually dumped the air to drop the coach which allowed DW to exit easier.

Situation: I started the DP this morning to take it out on a 50 mile run and top off the tank. Air pressure gauges came up to around 115psi (estimated). Loaded DW in and checked DP ride height by looking at the front tire clearance. Coach was sitting about an inch above the tires so I exited pad onto local street and their was a bounce - thought it was just the uneven exit and road. Proceeded to main street and stopped. Made a 90* right turn and started to accelerate with coach bouncing up and down with every crease in the road.

Air gauges still read between 100 and 110psi but it got worse so at first street turned around and returned home. After a lot of hassle finally got DP back on pad. The air dryer was popping normally. Gauges showed approximately 110psi but coach had settled lower than top of tires.

Shut everything down and used the manual dump to drop DP.

Re-read my manuals and then checked iRV2 reading all the posts. Went out and tried using the jack retract button - nothing happened as I had not had the jacks down. Started DP and immediately the Air Pressure Gauges jumped to 115psi which indicated something was stuck. Ran engine for 5 minutes and DP had not risen. Came back in to DP and pushed the Manual Dump button again and immediately head Air Dryer pop. Went out to check ride height and watched as the front rose almost 2 inches above the front tires. Took it for a short drive and it handled great.

Upon arriving back home started generator, turned on A/Cs and went in to get DW for our ride. Upon coming out to the DP with DW and noticed the ride height had dropped to below the top of the front tires as DP was setting there. Took DW back to the house.

One of the iRV2 post said to drive DP forward about 30' and they should fill up so I drove forward. Ride height was okay so I backed up moving gradually to the opposite side of the street and then entered drive with no problems. This time I did not manually dump air.

NOTE: While setting in drive I noticed a continuous release of air under the driver's side but couldn't locate it as it stopped by time I got there and now unit fills but looses air without any noticeable sound.

The Air Dryer filter was changed in Feb 2020 when the DP was serviced upon my purchased.

I've called the local Truck Center for their Mobile Tech who is tied up so he will call me next week but I would like to narrow this down as much as I can so what guidance can you provide?

Thanks everyone in advance - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

You have an air leak, line, air bag, valve

Tech should easily find it
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #3

I agree with Milford 47, I had the same symptoms while on a trip to Alaska. It was the airline to the drivers side airbag that had broken at the connection. Should be an easy fix.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE

DP has set in drive for over an hour and it is still at ride height - no air loss

It seems to me that if I had an air line leaking the coach would be dropping but it isn't.

Without really knowing a lot about the air system I am drawn to the possibility that a valve was sticking - perhaps the dump valve since I had manually dumped the air just before this started but it would seem that if the dump valve was sticking open the tanks would be empty but the gauges show 110psi and the filter is popping as normal.

There must be a single fill valve for the air bags or multiple valves with at least one intermittently sticking because it appears they are working now.

Think I need some Tylenol.

One way or another we will work this out.

Thanks guys - Richard
Old 06-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Could be a faulty ride height valve. We had a bad one on rear, only leaked randomly under right conditions. Caught it once when valve was in just right position to leak. It was leaking bad enough that compressor never had much downtime 60-90 seconds and it was running again while going down highway. Replaced valve and no trouble in past 4 years.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update 2

I reset the manual air dump by pressing on it and the DP rose to ride height and has stayed there since about 2pm. Just checked it and all was well so took it for a short ride up and down some hills and tight turns before bringing it back to its home. Everything is riding great.

The only thing I have done differently before this happened was I emptied the air tanks manually when I parked it so that my DW would have an easier time getting out and for getting in. One post indicated that he was told to retract the jacks - I've never had mine down as I don't normally use them and another said he was told to move the DP straight ahead for about 30 feet.

During my reset I did the retract jacks, pressed the manual dump and drove straight forward then backed up for about 60'. Ride height was good so I parked.

Going to assume everything is okay but going to continue to do research. If dump valve is the culprit either it has to be sticking open or the switch is sticking not allowing it to fully close; but for now, all working as it should

Thanks everyone for your input.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 06-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #7

Richard it cost me j$195 to find out I had interrupted the normal sequence of dumping air, and extending jacks, then storing them. Glad you got it figured out.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ray,

Hope so. Just checked and it seems the front has dropped while setting. Maybe a little paranoid as I've never really checked it on a daily basis. Seems like front drops but rear is still up.

Now that I think about it I may have turned the key off before the manual dump completed its sequence as you mentioned so when I started the engine it filled the tanks but didn't air up the airbags al the way. (?) After resetting everything it worked so I'll be testing it again today and tomorrow and then take a 50 mile run and refuel.

It's raining now so will have to wait. I want to extend jacks which is supposed to auto dump and try it again before I cancel the Mobile Tech. (I haven't extended jacks yet so this will be the first time. Dealer said keep engine running but manual says shut engine off and place key in Accessory, which is what I'll do first. I don't use the jacks unless I'm unlevel.)

Thanks for your input. It definitely provided some relief.

Be safe - Richard
Old 06-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #9

My automatic leveling process works as designed, that one time manually dumping air must have confused the computer logic somehow, as I too had shut off the ignition key rather quickly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar problem on my DS few years ago. It wound up being the valve for the air bag. Linkage came unhooked and it couldn't close.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Final Update

Well, I tested it all out this weekend.

I even dropped the jacks and it automatically dumped the air and then leveled the DP. Left it setting on jacks for 24 hours and started engine with jacks still down. Air bags did not air up which is good.

Hit the store jacks button and jacks stored and then the air bags filled to ride height quickly.

I learned through the past postings here on iRV2 about the situation and probably saved several hundred dollars.

Thanks everyone - Stay Safe - Richard

Tags
air, ems, problem, problems