Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Tank Leak

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey 34y. Recently, I have noticed that when starting the rig, the air tanks inflate to about 85lbs. However, after stopping the engine, I hear air escaping just above the right rear tire but metal plating blocks the view, and the tanks bleed out in about one minute, I know this sounds weird but I thought air stayed in the tanks for quite sometime. Planning a big trip in a couple of months and checking all the systems now. I'm assuming this a check valve issue well above my may grade.

Any suggestions other than take it to my local RV repair shop?
Kirkian301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Yep, sounds like a large leak. Tanks should stay up for a while and most should be 120-130.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #3

Pressure should climb to about 120-125 before hitting the governor cutoff. If it's only getting to 85, then the leak is bigger than it is little. If it bleeds down quickly once the engine is shut off, same thing. It's probably leaking the entire time the engine is running but you can't hear it over the engine noise.

First though...

DO NOT GET UNDER THE VEHICLE (OR IN THE WHEEL WELLS) TO CHECK ON WHAT'S WRONG WITHOUT PROPERLY BLOCKING THE BODY OF THE COACH.

Especially when working on air leaks, it only takes a split second for the body of the coach to drop, and when that happens there is not room underneath to avoid injury/death. Leveling jacks are NOT the same as properly blocking the coach. People have died not paying attention to this.

Possible issues? You could have any number of problems here - anything from a leaking leveling valve to a cracked air line going to your brakes to a leaking tank.

With an air leak like this, and with not being able to get & keep the air pressure at the proper level, the coach may not be safe to drive right now. If this is above your pay grade, it might be necessary to have a service truck come out and look at things.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #4

Yes, that is a MASSIVE air leak.

Please do address it before driving.

The good news is that size leak will be easy to locate.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:18 PM   #5

On my Spartan chassis, the air dryer unit is very near the RR wheels, inside the frame rail. How long since your air dryer has been serviced?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #6

RV repair shop is NOT , the place for this type of repair .

As mentioned a mobile mechanic , with air system training ; or a shop that deals with heavy trucks ( Freightliner ? ), but getting there could be risky , if you loose pressure down to 45 psi ; when on the road; the parking brake will automatically apply and there you'll sit waiting for a tow truck .

There are few places in the air system where a leak will drain both tanks .
Air suspension would only drain one , foundation brake system , should only leak when the pedal is pushed .
If you don't have an air system diagram for your chassis , try to get one before the mobile mechanic arrives . Also info on your air system dryer, brand and model , because a leak at the dryer could drain both tanks .
If your coach is on a Freightliner chassis , call the free help line with your serial number and ask to be sent this info .
1-800-385-4357
Old 09-03-2020, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
On my Spartan chassis, the air dryer unit is very near the RR wheels, inside the frame rail. How long since your air dryer has been serviced?
This actually brings to mind that it might be your air dryer itself stuck on purge. If you are able to get eyes on your air dryer you may find the purge valve stuck open. A truck I was driving for work had that problem, and it was caused by a loose airline, but sometimes it's just the purge valve getting stuck due to a piece of debris in their.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #8

Its not the air dryer purge valve.
There is a check valve after the air dryer that keeps the air from back feeding out of the tanks.

For the both tanks to drop to zero, it has to be at least two problems. A double check valve stuck open can cause both tanks to drain but there is also a big leak.

If you don't feel comfortable driving it, have it towed or call a mobile mechanic.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for the answers. Again, above my head. I tried a couple of local mobile RV mechanics but neither do warranty service through Good Sam. Still trying to find one. If I find one, I will print out all these answers to assist him.
Kirkian301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkian301 View Post
Again, above my head. him.

Could be nothing more than the wet tank drain stuck open.

While you may not be able to fix it (IMO depends on that is wrong) you SHOULD be able to lay on the ground next to the coach (not under it without safety stands) and determine the source of that massive air leak.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Could be nothing more than the wet tank drain stuck open.

While you may not be able to fix it (IMO depends on that is wrong) you SHOULD be able to lay on the ground next to the coach (not under it without safety stands) and determine the source of that massive air leak.
Wet tank drain will not drain primary and secondary tanks. Check valves thruout the system prevent that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #12

Call in a Mobil truck mechanic not an RV repair man. I could give you an idea of how to get it high enough to get under it but no sense in you doing this if you feel you are not capable of the repairs. If it will hold 85 psi after you hit the brakes and recover quickly you could probably drive it to a truck repair center if they are not to for away. If you hit your brake pedal a time or two and it cannot keep up with the air loss then I don’t recommend you driving it. I don’t have any suggestions for your what is causing your air leak other than what has been suggested.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:13 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
The industry standard for air system leakage is 2 psi/minute, so if it takes less than an hour to bleed down you have an unacceptable leak. Call Freightliner at 1-800-FTl-Help to locate your closest dealer.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
Loc:. MI
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Y View Post
The industry standard for air system leakage is 2 psi/minute, so if it takes less than an hour to bleed down you have an unacceptable leak. Call Freightliner at 1-800-FTl-Help to locate your closest dealer.

Skip Y
2010 Journey, 2015 Equinox
Loc:. MI
3 psi/minute for a bus, https://www.truckservicez.com/blog/w...e-test-pdf.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leak, tank