Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone invested in an RV alarm? We are considering a quick solution - nothing fancy, just need a noise makes (I guess motion controlled). We had a good friend get their RV broken into a few months ago while visiting North Carolina and her laptop was stolen. While its probably best to take things like this with you, its not always possible. She even had it "hidden" and they still managed to find it.

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks!
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone invested in an RV alarm? We are considering a quick solution - nothing fancy, just need a noise makes (I guess motion controlled). We had a good friend get their RV broken into a few months ago while visiting North Carolina and her laptop was stolen. While its probably best to take things like this with you, its not always possible. She even had it "hidden" and they still managed to find it.

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I had an inexpensive one from Camping World that was battery operated and motion sensitive. It's basically just a keypad with a sensor on the top and a built in squealer-type alarm. Worked as advertised. Cost about $30-$40 IIRC. I believe it was called Safe-T-Alert. It was made by one of the companies that makes smoke/lpg/CO detectors. I've also seen similar types at Radio Shack and Target/Walmart/Kmart.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:

Just want to know others feedback on some alarm solutions. If you have any recommendations, please post the website link if you have it handy. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where was the entry point for the break in?
Old 10-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I find that a sticker on the door, a nice one stating "In case of emergency please rescue the dog" Helps. Also a dog lead outside and a bowl of water...
I do have a dog, but the previous would be cheaper!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good suggestions!!! Never thought about "poseing". We do not have a dog - only 2 cats. Love dogs but need to save that for retirement someday when I can spend more time with a dog. In the meantime, the "Save Dog" sticker sounds like a great idea!

Our friends that got broke into, the entry was in the bedroom window. It was a Class "C" with really cheap plastic window latches. I am sure our DP has a more secure setup.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Other suggestions: Little sign post out by stairs with small sign "Protected by Smith and Wesson".

If you can get an NRA sticker...

Or sign: "I shoot first..ask questions later"
Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

flashajt,
Two or three years ago we bought ours at a FMCA Rally from one of the badge/sign folks that were there.

Made of plastic with a sticky back on it.
You might be able to go to a Plastic sign or I.D. Maker locally and have one made up to match the coach..
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

And what campground in NC was the party ripped off??
I have a deadbolt and regular lock on the main entry door but feel the driver's door is probably the week point for a break-in. I've been thinking of making a plastic contraption to prevent the door from being forcibly unlocked but that's still on the to do list.
Maybe if that laptop had been hooked up to a camera hooked to the web the prosecutor would have some fun.
Surveillance, either with a dog or camera seems the only way to go.
I'll bet Wal-Mart watches my stuff 24 & 7!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul T:
And what campground in NC was the party ripped off??
I have a deadbolt and regular lock on the main entry door but feel the driver's door is probably the week point for a break-in. I've been thinking of making a plastic contraption to prevent the door from being forcibly unlocked but that's still on the to do list.
Maybe if that laptop had been hooked up to a camera hooked to the web the prosecutor would have some fun.
Surveillance, either with a dog or camera seems the only way to go.
I'll bet Wal-Mart watches my stuff 24 & 7! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Might want to check emergency exit window latches in bedroom....
Old 10-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Other suggestions: Little sign post out by stairs with small sign "Protected by Smith and Wesson".

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me this would be an open invitation to break in because firearms are carried in the coach.

-Tom
carries but does not advertise
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me this would be an open invitation to break in because firearms are carried in the coach.

-Tom
carries but does not advertise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point...

I carry too but don't advertise.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

another idea..without the live dog.
http://www.shopfromyourhome.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?...=Personal_Protection

There's a link at the website where you can hear the alarm's dog bark...sounds convincing to me. You be da judge!
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yes we carry as well - I surely feel bad for anyone should they break in while we are in the coach - but of course, that isnt what I am worried about. Very good suggestions here!!!

For those who inquired about my friends break-in, here is exactly what she told me. I asked her if I can share - she said no problem. We are here to educate others! Great story...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We stayed at some state campgrounds, which by the way sometimes are really nice, so don't avoid them, and also some private campgrounds. We had no problems at the campgrounds.

We got broken into when we were parked in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park at a trail head. Because ours was an oversized vehicle, we were parked away from where the majority of cars were. One side of the RV was alongside the busy road, but the other side was up against the woods. We suspect that the burgler got in through a window on the wood side, as it would be easy to not be seen. Plus, because we were at a trail head, it was pretty obvious that we were off hiking.

If you look at the RV windows, the locks are plastic and pretty flimsy. We think they jimmied one of them, although there was no sign of forced entry and no obvious fingerprints, as the police did a check. The
burglar(s) definitely exited through the side door because when we got back to the RV, it was unlocked, and we were sure we'd locked it.

They stole the brand new laptop, used a total of one time. Ugh! They overlooked my purse with wallet which was hidden behind clothes in one of the cabinets. That was a lucky break, as I had credit cards, cash, etc. in there. (I didn't want to carry my purse on the hike.)

We happened to have our still camera and video camera with us, so they didn't get those. The only other thing they took was our Florida license plate. That meant we had to go through the hassle of filing a police report, because we knew we couldn't drive home thru 3 states (NC, Tenn and GA) on the way home without plates and no proof of them having been stolen. What a major hassle because the theft happened in a national park, meaning we had to file federal paperwork, talk to federal agents, etc. etc.

I guess the best advice I could offer anyone is if you have an RV, try to park in a visible spot. And hide your valuables. Our laptop was in a cabinet, not visible to someone peeking into the RV, but they found it. They did not, as I said, find my purse.

We've camped many times for many years, and this is the first time we've had an incident. So don't let it scare you too badly. But do make sure to "hide your stuff" if at all possible, just in case </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:
Yes we carry as well - I surely feel bad for anyone should they break in while we are in the coach - but of course, that isnt what I am worried about. Very good suggestions here!!!

For those who inquired about my friends break-in, here is exactly what she told me. I asked her if I can share - she said no problem. We are here to educate others! Great story...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We stayed at some state campgrounds, which by the way sometimes are really nice, so don't avoid them, and also some private campgrounds. We had no problems at the campgrounds.

We got broken into when we were parked in the Great Smoky Mtns. National Park at a trail head. Because ours was an oversized vehicle, we were parked away from where the majority of cars were. One side of the RV was alongside the busy road, but the other side was up against the woods. We suspect that the burgler got in through a window on the wood side, as it would be easy to not be seen. Plus, because we were at a trail head, it was pretty obvious that we were off hiking.

If you look at the RV windows, the locks are plastic and pretty flimsy. We think they jimmied one of them, although there was no sign of forced entry and no obvious fingerprints, as the police did a check. The
burglar(s) definitely exited through the side door because when we got back to the RV, it was unlocked, and we were sure we'd locked it.

They stole the brand new laptop, used a total of one time. Ugh! They overlooked my purse with wallet which was hidden behind clothes in one of the cabinets. That was a lucky break, as I had credit cards, cash, etc. in there. (I didn't want to carry my purse on the hike.)

We happened to have our still camera and video camera with us, so they didn't get those. The only other thing they took was our Florida license plate. That meant we had to go through the hassle of filing a police report, because we knew we couldn't drive home thru 3 states (NC, Tenn and GA) on the way home without plates and no proof of them having been stolen. What a major hassle because the theft happened in a national park, meaning we had to file federal paperwork, talk to federal agents, etc. etc.

I guess the best advice I could offer anyone is if you have an RV, try to park in a visible spot. And hide your valuables. Our laptop was in a cabinet, not visible to someone peeking into the RV, but they found it. They did not, as I said, find my purse.

We've camped many times for many years, and this is the first time we've had an incident. So don't let it scare you too badly. But do make sure to "hide your stuff" if at all possible, just in case </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everyone should be aware of "lock bumping" with keys commonly available for modification to bump with. Would not take a rocket scientist crook to fabricate a bump key for the common RV door locks. Do a goggle search if you have not heard of lock bumping. It's all over YouTube website..with videos on exactly how to make bump keys.