Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecastro View Post
We have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with slide rollers. Does anyone think Allure could be laid and let the rollers roll on and support the Kit. slide with out problems? Thanks.
we have had the older sticky connection allure on our floor for about 2 years. there is a post with pictures in the archives of this forum.
the first time we ran the slide in, we got scratches in 8 places. it was very difficult to get all the carpet staples out under the slide. we probably missed some.
we put down 8 scrap allure strips when we retract the front slide to keep from damaging the floor. the rear slide is ok.
i would advise you to make sure that your floor is smooth with no high or low spots. the high spots ''printed'' through on ours. we used double back tape to secure the floor around the stairwell and in front behind the seats and doghouse edge.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

The floor looks great and now that you have the experience, when can you schedule the time to come down and replace the floor in our trailer?

Any time before Christmas would work for me.

Ken
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

Great job & write up - just wondering how is it holding up ?

How did the joints do in the cold weather ?

Stephen
stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Stephen,
Im sure that CJ7ole will post the reply you are looking for regarding his magnificent work and documentation, but I will give you a reply for my install of the allure vinyl tile flooring.
My floor was installed over 1 year ago. When I removed the old vinyl tiles, there was so much adhesive left that my floor did not float. Also, there were new vinyl floor edges under the slides that I stapled to be sure of a permanent attachment. I wanted a permanent attachment at the slide edge to prevent pullup of the new flooring should the slide edge scrape the new flooring when retracting or extending.
The temperature range inside my coach over the last year went from 38F to 90F but the floor did not endure freezing conditions. During the last year I drove 13,000 miles on trips including a trip to Alaska during which the road conditions were so poor that the floor had to endure extended periods of severe vibrations.
The result: not a single detached joint and not a single buckle in the new flooring. It has really held up well and we have been very pleased with its performance.
hope this helps,

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H, C7
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen44 View Post
Great job & write up - just wondering how is it holding up ?

How did the joints do in the cold weather ?

Stephen
It is holding up fine, I do put some leftover strips under the slides before retracting, otherwise there would be scratches. And as noted in post #27, I have had a few end joints open up while the coach was in 40 degree storage, probably due to not getting them properly butted with absolutely no grey showing, but once it warmed up inside they closed up and it looked like when I had just finished it.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #46
Winnebago Watcher

thanks for the prompt replies - did either of you have a plank to carpet transition ? - what did you use. I have the transition where the tile butted to the carpet - it is just a rolled carpet edge at the moment. it is the full width of the coach

Stephen
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Home Depot sells an aluminum strip for carpet to tile edges. It's a channel with a 3/4" back strip that goes under the carpet leaving you with a nice clean aluminum edge.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Stephen,
I had 3 different edges to deal with:
1. carpet to tile edge--This occurred at the hall entry to the bedroom. I decided to keep the bedroom carpet for now. I used a staple gun (shown in photo) to staple the carpet edge. I used vinyl tile adhesive to glue the new vinyl tiles to the wooded subfloor below. The vinyl and carpet were butted together with no overlap. This edge has worn well. I used a staple about every 3/4 inch. Some staple indentations are visible.
2. vinyl to raised vinyl edge---This edge was caused by the difference in floor heights because I raised the floor in the driver compartment in order to provide sound and heat insulation in this part of my coach but wanted no floor height increase under the slide to avoid slide scrapping of the new vinyl floor. I used a stained wooden strip butted against a thin aluminum strip (holding down the edge of the vinyl floor above). This edge has held up really well with no problems.
3. carpet to vinyl tile edge under the slide--I left the plastic strip under the slide and did not remove it. I left about 9in of carpet remaining and then used an aluminum transition strip to cover the carpet and vinyl tile edge. This was a problem because the under side of the slide has a sharp edge which repeatedly pulled up the aluminum transistion strip. Then I changed to the edge structure used for the bedroom.. glued the vinyl to the floor, sheered the edge of the carpet so that it was not so abrupt and would not likely be caught by the slide edge, and then stapled the carpet as in the bedroom. This has worked well..no problem with the slide and this edge is out of view since it is under the sofa.

jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	17947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	17948  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	17949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	17950  

jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
thanks for the prompt replies - did either of you have a plank to carpet transition ? - what did you use. I have the transition where the tile butted to the carpet - it is just a rolled carpet edge at the moment. it is the full width of the coach

Stephen
the rolled carpet transition at the front behind the seats is held down with double back carpet tape and is holding up very well in our moho.
i posted with pics about a year and a half ago about our installation.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 02-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #50
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Home Depot sells an aluminum strip for carpet to tile edges. It's a channel with a 3/4" back strip that goes under the carpet leaving you with a nice clean aluminum edge.
sorry - probably didn't explain well. I am replacing the tile with allure ultra - so I am looking for a carpet to allure transition strip. HD say they don't stock one.

Stephen
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

i ended up using some transition strips from LOWES

MobileMe Gallery

I also had multiple materials, Carpet, Allure, Pergo like floor
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

allure carpet to vinyl transition strip

We had to track down a little place that dealt only in trims and moldings. Got the name of our local place from a carpet dealership near where we live.
Be careful not to nail it down too tight though. We did and are now waiting for warmer weather so we can let our allure expand again and hopefully all the joints that are showing due to contracting over the winter can be repaired.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:53 AM   #53
Winnebago Watcher

thanks everyone - I am still in two minds as whether to glue down my allure ultra planks to avoid the gap problem - I know people have had success both ways. I'm guessing a urethane glue would work ?

Any views on this ?

Stephen
Old 02-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #54
Winnebago Watcher

You did a great job on the installation and the documentation. Thanks so much.

We installed the old glue style Allure in our old motor home. We are planning on installing the new Allure Ultra Clear Cherry in our new motorhome. Its nice to see how it actually looks when it's all done.

This install should be a lot easier than the other one because we're using the wood look planks, verses the tile look and we don't really have any slide issues since our slides are raised and will just float over the floor. We're leaving the tile in the center of the MH alone.

Good job!
krnlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #55
Winnebago Master

Quote:
thanks everyone - I am still in two minds as whether to glue down my allure ultra planks to avoid the gap problem - I know people have had success both ways. I'm guessing a urethane glue would work ?

Any views on this ?

Stephen
i used double back carpet tape where i didn't want the floor to move such as around the stairwell. no gaps so far.
we live in the moho fulltime and we put the allure down about 18 months ago.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

I do NOT recommend gluing or nailing Allure Ultra in place. It needs to be able to expand and shrink. There's a reason the manufacturer gives the instructions it does. Make sure you get the joints clicked in place well and leave at least 1/4" (or even a little more) around the edges, which you cover with trim. When you put the trim down, do not let the nails go through the flooring. If you allow the floor to expand and contract the way it's supposed to, you won't have problems. If you try to force it to do something it's not designed to do (by nailing it down or gluing it), you're likely to regret it.

And that also means to be sure that there is no plank where the screws in your floor vent covers go, if you have floor vents.

We're having problems with some of our joints separating because we ignored the instructions to let it float and the perimeter planks were nailed in place with the trim. I have had to pull some of trim and use a small pry bar to close some of the joints. I've left the trim loose for the time being and am not having any problems with the joints separating where the trim is loose. When it warms up some, I will do some more work, but there are some joints I will not be able to repair because I can't get to the trim to loosen it (e.g., under the edge of the slide). When I put the trim back in place, I'll make sure that the nails do not go through the plank.

Our FW is out in the middle of nowhere and temps have been from 20ish to 70ish this winter. It will get well into the 90s, or maybe even higher, during the summer when we aren't there.

We installed ours when it was pretty hot outside, but with the AC running. I think it would be best to install with temps between 60 and 80.

liz
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #57
Winnebago Owner

One quick, very important reminder on installation vs separation: If you have even the tiniest amount of grey showing on a long joint or particularly an end joint as they are weaker, you will get a separation, particularly in an RV which sees a lot of vibration and temperature changes, not so much a home. A small block of hardwood and a dead blow hammer will be your friend.

By the way: If you plan on taking up laminate installation as a hobby, check out the Skil flooring saw. Lot's easier to carry around than a miter saw and a small table saw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Saw&highlight=
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #58
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Handy tips:
· I couldn’t have done the job and kept my sanity without lots of tools: speed square, snap off razor knife, air chisel, brad nailer, claw hammer, dead blow hammer, good pliers, small flat blade screwdriver to get under stubborn stables, table saw, jig saw for curved cuts, wonder bar, tape measure, sharp chisel, band saw (after I dulled my only jig saw blade). Pencils mark fine on the vinyl. Without a table saw, you could use a circular saw or better yet; a small blade flooring circ saw. Carbide circ saw blades are a must, have extra jig saw blades on hand if you plan on using that tool. A sharp wood chisel works well for small cuts where you can’t score and snap or get a saw blade to fit.
· The air chisel made quick work of pulling up the glued down vinyl planks in the galley and the glued down wood strips on the metal floor as well as the glued down foam pad on the metal floor. Every major job deserves a new tool, this was mine. Under $30. This little puppy will see more work when I have to remove ceramic tile on my home. I already had a 1 hp compressor.
· I don’t get their instructions about sliding the planks before clicking. Just start by inserting the ends of the planks together all but the width of the tongue on the long side (yes you need about a 10 degree angle to seat the ends too). Push the long sides together while lifting the new plank and part of the previously installed plank about 10 degrees. While holding that position, using a mallet or soft dead blow hammer tap the new ends the last little bit to seat the beginning long edge, then with lots of pressure push the long side together and lay flat. As long as you don’t see any grey in the crack you did it right. Any grey, do it over again. A tiny bit of grey in the long joint near the board ends can be fixed by setting a short piece of hardwood on top of the tongue and smacking it with the hammer to seat the tongue in the groove.
· Just before you start laying planks, thoroughly vacuum the entire floor. Before you lay each plank again check to feel that the floor is free of any bumps or debris that will eventually telegraph through the vinyl. You don’t want to find a bump as you are installing the final trim.
· Plan on starting at the driver side rear of the coach and lay the planks with the short tongue facing the wall. Instructions say you can do it either way, hmm…
· Think hard about the extra work necessary to install planking from the engine firewall rearward to where the wood floor starts.
· If you see that you didn’t get a good joint a few rows back, fix it now, don’t keep going. It doesn’t take that long to pull up and reinstall a half dozen planks.
· Keep in mind that the floor must float, don’t be tempted to glue or staple the edges. Use quarter round to hold a narrow strip flush to the floor at the wall if you didn’t superglue the joint. Nail trim into the wall, not the floor. Let the vinyl float around the air registers. That being said, there are times it will be difficult to follow that rule, bolting the seats to the floor and securing the dinette to its floor are examples that come to mind. If there is adhesive on the floor remove or cover it with aluminum foil so the planks don’t stick to old glue. I did allow the vinyl to float under the seats by elevating the seats on 3 washers and keeping the vinyl at least 1/8” from the washers.
· If you need to remove rusted seat bolts, hit them with a penetrating lube well ahead of time and chase the threads first with a die.
· Cut and snapping the vinyl plank works better than cutting drywall. No need to cut all the way thru, 3 passes with a razor knife point is all it takes, snap it and run the blade down the hinge and you are done. But frankly, if you have access to a 12” power miter saw that is the way to go when cutting across the plank if you can place the saw so you have quick access. With my 10” MS, I had to flip the plank. I did manage to completely dull my new band saw blade, but it was real handy for odd cuts.
· If you have a narrow strip that doesn’t want to stay connected or lay flat, run a bead of super glue along the tongue and it will become one with the other plank. I like Gorilla Glue brand of super glue as it is thicker and more gel like than the cheap brands. I wish I would have tried it sooner.
· Cut some strips of vinyl, tapering the ends as a ramp, and lay them on the floor just before retracting the room. Black side up. This will avoid the skids scratching the new vinyl if you aren’t able to install a short pile carpet on the skids. They will store under the couch.
· Keep track of where the different screw types (at least 5 types) go. I ended up with a few left over, and couldn’t remember where the white vs black screws always went.
Ole,
Thanks for sending me the information. This is the best article that I have seen thus far, very informative.
R.S. Vorhis
RSVorhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Replacing carpet with Allure Plank Flooring

CJ7ole
Great documentation of a job well done. You have inspired us to replace the carpet on our 2004 suncruiser just like you did. We plan to cover the shoe under the slide with carpet to avoid scratching the new floor. Also replace the dinnet with a buffet and table. Can't wait to get home from Arizona to start the project. Thanks for writing such a detailed post of a difficult job. Gloria & Roger
Old 02-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #60
Winnebago Watcher

Ole,
Outstanding write up! I justed pulled all my flooring out and was getting a material list ready. I did not want to use quarter round molding only because I have too many external corners. Would I have problems down the road if I don't install molding and instead lay a bead of glue, silicone or double sided tape under the perimeter planks?
aaaes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install