Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Almost lost front window side "moulding"

We were headed East on I-30 when I heard the sound of a Jake Brake, or so I thought. There was an 18 wheeler coming up from behind, and passing. Well, it wasn't a Jake Brake. The 18 wheeler passed and all of a sudden that rat-a-tat-tat sound was back. I pulled over and when I looked the molding on the driver side that runs from the bottom of the window to the top was hanging on only by the bottom screw. The other two had worked loose and when the wind hit the molding it made the sound. Fortunately the screw were still in the plastic holes. I was able to screw them back in, then I checked and tightened the other side molding.

So, if you have a window with the vertical side molding, check gently to see if they are tight. I pulled all mine out and put Blue Loctite on the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flashing.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	62203  
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar problem, only it was because the windshield replacement company wasn't very professional.

Using my Insurance company's repair shop to install the replacement windshield was easy. It was three blocks away. When I picked the rig up after the service was completed, I drove it around the circle of our town. $ lanes, 55 mph in places, and everything seemed fine.

Our first trip with the new glass, I didn't make it out of town, and the passenger side trim did the exact thing you described. Sounded just like a loud "jake brake."

The worst thing was that the repair facility did not reinstall the trim properly, lost one screw, replaced it with a shorter screw, and then covered the head of the screw with the black urethane to hide the fact that they put a different type screw.

The replacement screw was too short, so the tech added more urethane to the back side of the trim piece to hold the screw in place, and give the appearance that the screw was in properly.

Oh yeah, it was raining when this came apart, and I was in a parking lot on a ladder, in the rain. Luckily, I keep some hardware on-board, and had a perfect replacement sized screw for the ones that wallowed out while flapping in the breeze.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV trim 2.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	62420   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV trim screw wrong size and style.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	62421  

Name:	RV trim6.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	62422   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV trim3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	62423  

KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd be stomping at the repair shop's door. The trim on my coach was off 4 years ago for some work. I really can't blame the tech to much after that length of time.

Now. after Blue Loctite, I have to figure how to inspect it without moving the screw.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'd be stomping at the repair shop's door. The trim on my coach was off 4 years ago for some work. I really can't blame the tech to much after that length of time.

Now. after Blue Loctite, I have to figure how to inspect it without moving the screw.
Glad to see that you are on the road, Wayne. Your experience is a lesson to us all. Considering all of the shaking these rigs experience, and TX roads are built to test the tightest screws, it is a good idea to make this an annual routine.

Tags
window