Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #1

I have two sheet metal screws located under the exterior trim strip on my living room slide-out that are backing out about 1/2 inch. This is a vertical trim strip that extends from the top to the bottom of the slide-out. The trim strip is in a channel, so it has to be slid to the top or bottom. Two accessible (almost) sheet metal screws at the very top and bottom of the strip hold it in place. However, the top sheet metal screw is under the slide-out awning bracket rod, making it nearly impossible to remove. The two errant screws are causing the trim strip to bulge in the area where they are backing out. Anyone else with a 04 Meridian or Journey had this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #2

I have two sheet metal screws located under the exterior trim strip on my living room slide-out that are backing out about 1/2 inch. This is a vertical trim strip that extends from the top to the bottom of the slide-out. The trim strip is in a channel, so it has to be slid to the top or bottom. Two accessible (almost) sheet metal screws at the very top and bottom of the strip hold it in place. However, the top sheet metal screw is under the slide-out awning bracket rod, making it nearly impossible to remove. The two errant screws are causing the trim strip to bulge in the area where they are backing out. Anyone else with a 04 Meridian or Journey had this problem?
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Have had same problem on my o1 fixed by drilling a new hole over about 3/4 inch and filled old hole with sealer. New screws have not backed out in 50k miles so think factory strips them when they put the screws in using air tools.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #4

I've had this problem for a few years now. I remove or loosen the trim strip and remove the screw, fill the hole and coat the screw with silicone or other adhesive. I have not had those back out again.
It happens on the slide trim and other areas the use the same strips. Just another assembly area that Winnie could improve on.
A note of caution. I had the rear cap strip blow out after a repair as I didn't add a bead of silicone after the repair. Winnie uses sticky tape for the trim so a light smear of adhesive is advisable.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #5

I've got a few missing or loose (per the DW). Could you spare some?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by autofish:
Have had same problem on my o1 fixed by drilling a new hole over about 3/4 inch and filled old hole with sealer. New screws have not backed out in 50k miles so think factory strips them when they put the screws in using air tools. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried to tap the screws back in with a block of soft wood and a hammer, but they won't budge. If they are stripped they are still holding good.